Seriously No Politics ×

Joseph Smith, Jr Youtube Vid

USU78

In High Priests on Sunday the instructor for the week played this vid: 

Critics, of course, would view it as just another example of Smith Worship and dismiss as vulgar, cultish and poorly produced.

What I'd like to discuss is the phenomenon in literature, both sacred and profane, of the doomed hero's lonely walk. 

Even the most convicted anti-religionist views Galileo and his [supposed] lonely stand against barbarism and superstition.

Can people live without heroes to look to for inspiration and examples of how the adult homo sapiens should act under duress?

Nice video.  You gotta love the music.  It is very heroic.

I think that humans need people to stand up for what is true, just and right.  Who that person is, depends on what you think is true, just and right.

The first time I saw the Joseph Smith movie, was while visiting my son in Utah. My father had passed away a year before and we had ask my mother to go out with us. My parents had endured unkind remarks from the Church in which my father was ordained and that I grew up in, for me becoming Mormon. My mother watched the film, tearful throughout, so when it ended she turned to me and said, "I wish I could take this movie and show it to my friends at Church!. My reply was simple, I told her, "no you really don't". 

6 hours ago, USU78 said:

Can people live without heroes to look to for inspiration and examples of how the adult homo sapiens should act under duress?

Short answer: no, though I fear many are trying.

Thanks for sharing the video. As I watched, I was repeatedly struck by how one man's hero is another man's villain. The animosity that slew the Prophet in Carthage is alive and well today, and the venom spewed forth in certain 'progressive' and 'enlightened' corners of the internet leads me to believe that many there would be happy to get a personal second chance at assisting the mobs.