Garment question

bsjkki

While walking with a friend yesterday she expressed frustration with her latest temple recommend inter view with stake.  When read the garment guidelines she expressed she didn't wear them while running.  She runs marathons.  She was counseled that she needed to wear them even when exercising.  I was astounded and asked my sister who also interpreted the garment question the same way as the stake person.  Is this new?  I always understood you didn't need to wear them while working out?  You should quickly change back after exercising but it wasn't required during the work out.

This seems more a kick-back to yesteryear when Mormons would never take the garment completely off when changing having the clean garment on one leg while removing the used garment from the other leg.  I just recently renewed my temple recommend and I did not get this impression.  

For me and the way I govern my own life:  if I am doing an activity of strenuous exercise I remove the garment.  If it is not strenuous or is not swimming I wear the garment.  I dislike it when individuals attempt to create new rules to follow; I dislike them even more when they try to impress others to obey their new laws.  Use your common sense and ignore these types of individuals whether they are leaders or not. 

I've always heard that we are to only not wear them when doing so is completely impractical/impossible (like swimming, for example) or when wearing them will ruin them (because the activity is so dirty for example, like my husband sometimes doesn't wear his when working on a vehicle if he's going to be laying in oil and they are likely to get stained.)  I've been told that we should wear them even while exercising if it's at all possible.

News to me. One would not wear them when competing in a swimming contest. As a suspected Pharisee , I will say that if one expects to be exercising for more than a half hour , keep them off until done. If one must use skimpy clothing while doing the workout, don't wear them.

36 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I've always heard that we are to only not wear them when doing so is completely impractical/impossible (like swimming, for example) or when wearing them will ruin them (because the activity is so dirty for example, like my husband sometimes doesn't wear his when working on a vehicle if he's going to be laying in oil and they are likely to get stained.)  I've been told that we should wear them even while exercising if it's at all possible.

My father-in-law used to run marathons in long jeans because he felt it was necessary to wear his garments.  My wife eventually made him some long shorts that he wore to run and now he runs while not wearing his garments.  At first I thought he was absolutely nuts to run in jeans, but it was his life and he felt he was doing the right thing wearing garments.  I think he is being more practical and more faithful by not wearing them, but I say that knowing that it fits within what I personally think is the right way.  

Again, war the garment at all times unless an activity would in any way dishonor the sanctity of the garment.  

28 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

My father-in-law used to run marathons in long jeans because he felt it was necessary to wear his garments.  My wife eventually made him some long shorts that he wore to run and now he runs while not wearing his garments.  At first I thought he was absolutely nuts to run in jeans, but it was his life and he felt he was doing the right thing wearing garments.  I think he is being more practical and more faithful by not wearing them, but I say that knowing that it fits within what I personally think is the right way.  

Again, war the garment at all times unless an activity would in any way dishonor the sanctity of the garment.  

Given that we go to the bathroom while we have our garments on, I don't think that any activity exists that dis-honors them. :D

I just think that some activities are impossible to do them in.  I'm sure everyone had a different idea of what those activities are and I don't have a problem with that. 

Personally, I make the choice not to participate in activities that I cannot do while wearing them.

It's one thing if you need to take them off for practical reasons (like to complete certain work etc).
It's another if you choose to take them off when you don't have to.

Because of my age, I no longer (or rarely) participate in activities that would preclude me wearing my garments... but... years ago when I was inactive in the Church, I played tennis regularly and had some TBM tennis partners who did not wear their garments when playing because they wore tennis appropriate clothes (tennis skirts/dresses, etc).  As soon as we finished playing, I noticed they would change and be back to wearing their garments...

Another example/memory... when I was a teen, and active in Church, our Young Women leader was driving a group of us to the beach... her husband was in the bishopric... she wore her bathing suit under a pair of shorts and blouse... no garments... The beach we were going to had very poor changing/restroom facilities so we all usually wore our suits under our clothes... 

Today if i were to participate in tennis, etc., I'd not wear my garments to play, but would as soon as play was finished.  But in other activities like hiking, etc,  I would wear them... if at all possible... common sense would rule... and I for one do not like to be without my garments.  Every morning when I put on fresh garments I think to myself... putting on the whole armor of Christ... it's just the way that I personally feel... 

from the beach on a beautiful sunny Spring morning...

GG

There is an apocryphal story about a fellow who asked his SP if he should wear garments while a.... getting  to know his spouse. The answer was, " by all means, if you feel that you will somehow be in danger."

3 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

For me and the way I govern my own life:  if I am doing an activity of strenuous exercise I remove the garment.  If it is not strenuous or is not swimming I wear the garment.  I dislike it when individuals attempt to create new rules to follow; I dislike them even more when they try to impress others to obey their new laws.  Use your common sense and ignore these types of individuals whether they are leaders or not. 

This about covers it.

Several members of my husband's family run marathons.  From the pictures, I'm pretty sure they don't wear their garments.

OTOH, I have very little patience with people who don't wear their garments just because they are going to be sweating a lot.  I'm sure earlier saints got pretty nasty while harvesting and canning in 90+ heat, in their wrist and ankle length garments.

Edited by Traela

I've completed a couple of marathons myself (saying  I've ran in marathons might be a stretch!) and if someone gave the advice to wear my garments anyway I'd have to question their sanity. I do know of people who run long distances in their garments but no marathoners, I'm sure they exist though.

Personally, I'm not going to take risks with heat stroke but even more importantly the problems with chafing and all of the other problems that come with clothing touching your body differently while you run.

nipple-chafing.jpgouchies.jpg

Edited by mtomm

The TR questions include a pretty lengthy statement, which is supposed to be read in each interview, regarding the importance of wearing garments. At the end, the statement says that members are to decide what activities are appropriate. I've always understood that as a way to remove from local leaders the burden of answering members' questions about specific activities, as well as the inevitable variance in counsel between local leaders.

FWIW, I've run in both garments and not. I've also done a week's trip down the Colorado river with a group of active LDS men, all of whom chose to not wear garments. My stake still does men's basketball in the winter. It's a pretty even mix between those who play in garments and those who don't.

"Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing. Nor should they remove it to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. When they must remove the garment, such as for swimming, they should put it back on as soon as possible." (CHI)

The definition of the key word, "reasonably"  is left up to the member. We should not be commanded in all things, nor should we insist that others agree with our definition of the word "reasonably". 

Edited by JAHS

I am a gym rat..and I see a lot of garments coming off..and going on...nobody I know wants a good sweat in garments I guess.

My mom used to try so hard to roll up the sleeves while gardening but she wore them day in and day out.  But I think it must be just a matter of common sense and God wouldn't fault you for that...no matter what anybody says.

I have the memory of a TV program I watched where Mike Wallace was interviewing Steve Young and Robert(?) Marriott... about being Mormons, and the topic of wearing special garments came up... Marriott was asked by Wallace if he felt the garments offered any special physical protection... Marriott responded that he could only go from personal experience and related the story of the fire on his boat where he sustained burns to his pants and on his legs up to where his garments covered... and as far as he was concerned they had protected him from more serious burns... Wallace took it in stride and didn't mock or question...

Steve Young related how he would dress by his locker and remove his garments before putting on his uniform.  He said there was always blood and dirt and out of respect for the garments he did not wear them while playing.  He told how other team members were used to seeing him in his garments but one time a new team member saw his garments and told him they looked really comfortable and where could he get a pair... Steve said he chuckled and told him the price was probably too high...

GG

3 hours ago, Buckeye said:

Calm, those photos may be good evidence of what passes for obedience at BYU, but what about the real celestial standard - BYU-Idaho?  :)

How funny... look at the difference in the running outfits worn by the BYU Provo women and the runner from BYU Idaho... 

GG

It is kind of funny. :)

It is possible the second isn't track team but just a runner using the track with a byu-idaho shirt she bought, however it does mean idaho allows such standards.

I wear them when doing light exercise but when I am running or doing calisthetics or beating a punching bag or sparring I do not.

I have been told that those in garments in conformity with their covenants will not burn at the Second Coming and warned to wear them always. However I have also heard that he will most likely return on the Sabbath and since I do not do physical exercise on the Sabbath odds are good I will survive.