Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Voters Really Don’t Like Donald Trump — Here’s Why

I post this because of the news value relating to members of the Church, NOT to get political.  Of course, it might be hard not to, given the topic.  But please keep it respectful.  I'm not trying to get too partisan here.

Buzzfeed has posted an article regarding Mormon attitudes towards Donald Trump.  Generally negative, in fact.  Note that Cruz won the Republican vote in Utah on Tuesday.

The Buzzfeed article is HERE.

It's a trifle long, so I won't quote it in its entirety, but here's the beginning:

Speaking before one of his smallest crowds this campaign season, Donald Trump declared Friday night at a rally in Salt Lake City that he loves the Mormons.

The feeling does not appear to be mutual.

Trump suffered one of his most decisive defeats of the year Tuesday in the Mormon mecca of Utah, where Republican caucusgoers voted overwhelmingly to support Ted Cruz.

The drubbing shouldn’t come as a surprise. So far in 2016, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have proven to be one of the most stubbornly anti-Trump constituencies in the Republican Party.

National polling data focused on Mormon voters is hard to come by, but the election results speak for themselves. Even as Trump has steamrollered his way through the GOP primaries, he has repeatedly been trounced in places with large LDS populations.

In Wyoming, the third-most-heavily Mormon state in the country, Trump was able to muster just 70 votes in the low-turnout Republican caucuses there — losing to Ted Cruz by a whopping 59 points.

In Idaho, the country’s second most Mormon state, Trump lost the primary by 18 points.

10 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I post this because of the news value relating to members of the Church, NOT to get political.  Of course, it might be hard not to, given the topic.  But please keep it respectful.  I'm not trying to get too partisan here.

Buzzfeed has posted an article regarding Mormon attitudes towards Donald Trump.  Generally negative, in fact.  Note that Cruz won the Republican vote in Utah on Tuesday.

The Buzzfeed article is HERE.

It's a trifle long, so I won't quote it in its entirety, but here's the beginning:

Note:  Just because it is Utah it does not necessarily reflect Mormon thought.

Note 2:  Mormon thought is not necessarily unified.

Everyone I knew was voting antiTrump.  Utah will split their delegates if the frontrunner doesn't win by 50% or more so there was a chance if it wasn't a definite win Trump might have gotten some delegates.  There might have been more for the other nonTrump candidates if that wasn't a wrinkle.

Romney probably helped, but everyone I knew had already decided on who they would vote for prior to his endorsement.

55 minutes ago, Calm said:

Everyone I knew was voting antiTrump.  Utah will split their delegates if the frontrunner doesn't win by 50% or more so there was a chance if it wasn't a definite win Trump might have gotten some delegates.  There might have been more for the other nonTrump candidates if that wasn't a wrinkle.

Romney probably helped, but everyone I knew had already decided on who they would vote for prior to his endorsement.

I am thinking, too, that had Rubio been able to hang in there..most votes would have gone to him.

52 minutes ago, Calm said:

I agree.  There is something much more fundamental going on here.  There were 3 additional reports in the national press about this anti-Trump sentiment among members of the LDS Church just this week: The Atlantic, The Economist and the New Yorker.  My family in Oklahoma, Texas and Utah were all expressing discomfort/distaste with Trump long before Mitt Romney said a word.

5 minutes ago, ERayR said:

Where does the robot mentality idea come from?  Is that a subtle backhand?

Don't mean to be snarky here..but had Rubio got this far and Romney endorsed Rubio...who would of won??? 

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Note 3:  Romney endorses Cruz...there you go.  No questions asked..vote Cruz.

Romney (whom I supported enthusiastically in the last election), can endorse Cruz all he wants -- this just shows a preference for Cruz over Trump, not that Romney really likes Cruz.  As for me, Cruz is very very far from my ideal candidate for President.  I'd vote for him only while holding my nose.  And I might not vote for him.

When it comes down to voting for either Trump or Cruz, if either is the Republican nominee, I'd likely withhold voting for President in the voting booth.  Not that it matters in Washington state -- this state is going for the Democrat no matter which one it is.  My vote for President doesn't matter, at least in this election.

10 minutes ago, ERayR said:

Where does the robot mentality idea come from?  Is that a subtle backhand?

Of course it is.  Despite the fact that we have lots of left-leaning TBM's on this board, there is an insistence upon the notion that we LDS are follow-the-leader robots.  It's quite an odd point of view.

39 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I am thinking, too, that had Rubio been able to hang in there..most votes would have gone to him.

That's what I would have preferred, at least.  To me, Rubio was the ideal candidate.  Oh, well.

But Rubio could still be the ultimate choice of the convention.  It doesn't have to be Trump, or even Cruz.

2 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Romney (whom I supported enthusiastically in the last election), can endorse Cruz all he wants -- this just shows a preference for Cruz over Trump, not that Romney really likes Cruz.  As for me, Cruz is very very far from my ideal candidate for President.  I'd vote for him only while holding my nose.  And I might not vote for him.

When it comes down to voting for either Trump or Cruz, if either is the Republican nominee, I'd likely withhold voting for President in the voting booth.  Not that it matters in Washington state -- this state is going for the Democrat no matter which one it is.  My vote for President doesn't matter, at least in this election.

I love this.  You are thinking for yourself no matter what.   I wonder about other LDS in your state.  I look at Romney and he knows people will listen to him and yet he doesn't really care for Cruz.  I just think he should have not endorsed anyone if he wanted Rubio.  Good luck to us all!!

1 minute ago, Stargazer said:

That's what I would have preferred, at least.  To me, Rubio was the ideal candidate.  Oh, well.

But Rubio could still be the ultimate choice of the convention.  It doesn't have to be Trump, or even Cruz.

Perhaps if Cruz pulls this off..if interested (and he says he is not) Rubio could be VP. 

4 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Maybe there some Mormon neighborhoods Cruz wants to patrol.

Not after that primary, I don't think.

But that patrolling Muslim neighborhoods remark is, in a nutshell, why I believe Cruz is not suited to be President.  Does he not remember the rounding up of ethnic Japanese and placement in camps during World War II?  And Trump's wanting to question people at the point of entry to the US about whether they're Muslims?  Same deal.  Which is at least part of the reason neither of these twerps should be President.

3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not after that primary, I don't think.

But that patrolling Muslim neighborhoods remark is, in a nutshell, why I believe Cruz is not suited to be President.  Does he not remember the rounding up of ethnic Japanese and placement in camps during World War II?  And Trump's wanting to question people at the point of entry to the US about whether they're Muslims?  Same deal.  Which is at least part of the reason neither of these twerps should be President.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

I agree.  There is something much more fundamental going on here.  There were 3 additional reports in the national press about this anti-Trump sentiment among members of the LDS Church just this week: The Atlantic, The Economist and the New Yorker.  My family in Oklahoma, Texas and Utah were all expressing discomfort/distaste with Trump long before Mitt Romney said a word.

The Christmas faculty party was full of antiTrump remarks (nothing mean or unjust, just people did not want him as the President or in control of anything that mattered to them), both from the faculty and the entertainment (which was an improv comedy group).

My favorite Republican is Kasich but I prefer Trump to Cruz. If Trump wins he will get little done as neither party would be on his side. Cruz might actually be able to implement some of the lamebrained ideas of his crazy supporters. The gold standard? Patrolling Muslim neighborhoods? Does he even consider how much that may radicalize people?

20 hours ago, Stargazer said:

The difference between Kennedy v Nixon was very close. So don't ever think your vote doesn't count.

SEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1960

I think that the Utah Democrats are the only one in that state who got it right,as Hillary was the winner there and will be the next President. Both Trump and Cruz have marginalized too many factions in this country to win a general election.