Seriously No Politics ×

What is the LDS church doing about shunning.

Isthatso

It seems to be a real problem. Whether from misunderstanding of doctrine to weakness. It is a real problem deeply affecting families as they are torn apart.
What do you do in your personal life to combat this?  What is the church doing to fix the problem?

Social Hall is a forum for posters who want to avoid negativity.

I make sure not to project a demeanor of judgment towards those I interact with. It works well. I don't make more out of other people's choices than I make of my own.

The only way the Church has power over this problem is by teaching the true doctrines of Christ (which it does). This problem truly isn't the Church's to fix. This is a problem belonging solely to people who misconstrue and otherwise misunderstand the doctrine. It's sad that it happens, but what is a Church to do when people act contrary to the spirit of it's teachings? It can only keep teaching what the people need until they get it.

I'd guess this to be a topic for General Discussions, but since you're brand new, Isthatso, you can't start a topic there.  

Since this isn't a place to be argumentative, I shall disregard trying to piece together why you feel this is such a problem (because I haven't seen it in my ward) that needs discussion and simply say Ditto to Gillebre's comment.  I try to treat everyone with compassion, and wish to be treated so in return.

It seems to me there has been a significant amount of messaging, both in Conference talks and also in LDS media that tries to counteract and reject shunning and support the opposite in our personal relationships: love, patience, tolerance, empathy, withholding judgment, etc....

9 hours ago, Isthatso said:

It seems to be a real problem. Whether from misunderstanding of doctrine to weakness. It is a real problem deeply affecting families as they are torn apart.
What do you do in your personal life to combat this?  What is the church doing to fix the problem?

Perhaps you have some information to help define the scope of the problem rather than just anecdotes.  If so please share.

I don't see how shunning is different from any sin we are trying to overcome. I can't say that I've ever seen any church material that promotes it. I think we all have anecdotal evidence of it happening. To pretend it doesn't happen in LDS families and communities isn't being realistic.

Edited by mtomm
13 hours ago, Isthatso said:

We do not shun, and any do so that is their individual need to repent. We are taught to show an increase in in love, least they esteem us as their enemy. 

46 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

We do not shun, and any do so that is their individual need to repent. We are taught to show an increase in in love, least they esteem us as their enemy. 

It happens, the person shunned is almost invisible to some members of the church.  It's an odd phenomenon that members won't even attempt to get to the bottom of why members leave the church.  They could be family, neighbors and friends.  They won't ask why, it's super strange.  It's almost like they are scared to hear the reasons why.  Or they are being polite.  But if you are really close to someone that has left, you think you'd want to ask why.  But this is another topic.  But I do feel that those people that are inactive or an apostate, (hate that word), is totally ignored for these reasons perhaps.

14 hours ago, Isthatso said:

It isn't clear what you mean by "shunning."  Perhaps you could describe what happened.

Unlike the Amish, who have a formal policy of shunning, the LDS Church has no such policy and doesn't even use the word.

4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It happens, the person shunned is almost invisible to some members of the church.  It's an odd phenomenon that members won't even attempt to get to the bottom of why members leave the church.  They could be family, neighbors and friends.  They won't ask why, it's super strange.  It's almost like they are scared to hear the reasons why.  Or they are being polite.  But if you are really close to someone that has left, you think you'd want to ask why.  But this is another topic.  But I do feel that those people that are inactive or an apostate, (hate that word), is totally ignored for these reasons perhaps.

Then those who do so are members who heed not the council of Church leaders and it is their cross to bear. The Church teaches us (as the scriptures do) to love one another. The issue of shunning is not the fault of the Church. 

17 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

Then those who do so are members who heed not the council of Church leaders and it is their cross to bear. The Church teaches us (as the scriptures do) to love one another. The issue of shunning is not the fault of the Church. 

Isn't it possible that they do love them, but don't have much else to do with them, so as to not get infected with the doubt germ?

55 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Isn't it possible that they do love them, but don't have much else to do with them, so as to not get infected with the doubt germ?

Charity is the pure love of Christ, with fosters compassion and repels activities such as shunning. So, no those who do so do not love those who they case harm with such ways. 

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

So true Tacenda.  There were days in my past that I wanted someone to ask me "why"?  Even those closest to me in the ward would not look me in the eye when going for a walk or anything.  I felt like scum!  I wanted to let people know that I was not going to dig myself into a pit hole of evil.  Basically, I became invisable..no longer there or real.  This wouldn't have been so bad if it had not also extended to my two children who are still members,

Edited by Jeanne

What shunning are we referring to?

There is an injunction given to us to ensure there is no iniquity in the Church.
Sometimes those who practice iniquity feel shunned when in fact most members want nothing more than for them to turn their lives around.
But embracing people IN their iniquities is not a requirement.  Christ embraced sinners so they would change, not in their iniquity.

There is no requirement anywhere in scripture to accept people's sins, especially those that they are unwilling to give up.

On 3/22/2016 at 6:31 PM, JLHPROF said:

There is an injunction given to us to ensure there is no iniquity in the Church.
Sometimes those who practice iniquity feel shunned when in fact most members want nothing more than for them to turn their lives around.
But embracing people IN their iniquities is not a requirement.  Christ embraced sinners so they would change, not in their iniquity.

There is no requirement anywhere in scripture to accept people's sins, especially those that they are unwilling to give up.

Yes, turn your life around so you believe exactly as I believe - else, you're wrong.  You may believe they are sinning because they have chosen to leave the LDS church.  They may believe their relationship with Christ is strengthened by attending another faith.  I've witnessed shunning by former members and family.  MIL didn't speak to me for 7 months when we left the church.  Every woman in the church dropped my wife like a hot rock.  It must be a terrible thing that we love going to church and reading scriptures.  I am friends with another lady who left the church -  Wonderful Christian lady.  We spoke on this very topic less than a week ago.  One of her supposedly best friends never spoke to her again when she left. There were others as well that did the same thing.  I hear it over and over from LDS people that are baffled that they are not accepted as Christians or normal people (not a cult).  I have seen them state their cases.  But they show the exact same prejudices to those who leave.  

On 3/22/2016 at 6:31 PM, JLHPROF said:

Yes, turn your life around so you believe exactly as I believe - else, you're wrong.  You may believe they are sinning because they have chosen to leave the LDS church.  They may believe their relationship with Christ is strengthened by attending another faith.  I've witnessed shunning by former members and family.  MIL didn't speak to me for 7 months when we left the church.  Every woman in the church dropped my wife like a hot rock.  It must be a terrible thing that we love going to church and reading scriptures.  I am friends with another lady who left the church -  Wonderful Christian lady.  We spoke on this very topic less than a week ago.  One of her supposedly best friends never spoke to her again when she left. There were others as well that did the same thing.  I hear it over and over from LDS people that are baffled that they are not accepted as Christians or normal people (not a cult).  I have seen them state their cases.  But they show the exact same prejudices to those who leave.  

On 3/26/2016 at 4:53 AM, sdc999 said:

It appears people, no matter what denomination, are bound by evolution to avoid those who are different.

8 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

Is that so?

I probably should have put a smilie at the end...one post and according to profile, he hasn't been back since he posted it...though that might just be the sign up time.  It does tend to get frustrating though when one responds but the poster one is responding to never gets back to the thread, don't you think?

1 minute ago, Calm said:

I probably should have put a smilie at the end...one post and according to profile, he hasn't been back since he posted it...though that might just be the sign up time.  It does tend to get frustrating though when one responds but the poster one is responding to never gets back to the thread, don't you think?

Isthatso? ;)

5 hours ago, Calm said:

The OP is nicknamed "IsThatSo". 

Hence my response to you.

Driveby posters are common on most forums