Central Eurasian Mission status

Duncan

In July of 2015 the Church organized the "Central Eurasian Mission" and it covers Turkey and the other countries in that area. I think it's absolutely wonderful.  Does anyone know if the Church is allowed to proselyte there and send young missionaries and build buildings and things like that? I know the Church a hundred years ago was in that region and the BOM is translated into Turkish but what is the status of the Church there today?

1 hour ago, Okrahomer said:

This report from the Turkish Weekly indicates that LDS proselyting missionaries are limited to just two of the countries included in the mission:

"However, at this time the LDS Church only has proselyting missionaries operating in Turkey and Kazakhstan."

http://www.turkishweekly.net/2016/02/11/op-ed/mormon-presence-in-turkey-and-neighboring-countries/

uh-maze-ing! Thank you!

I'm not sure which area my son's friend is in right now, but he is allowed to proselyte somewhat. He mentions a lot of places, but really doesn't mention where he is. Early on he did mention that he needed to be careful what he said, both there in the country and in his email, but he didn't really explain that.  I don't know if that was just the area he was currently in or if it was anywhere in the mission.  

Things seem to be going well for him, but he is an optimistic man on the whole.  He finds good in all the people he comes in contact with.  He loves learning from the people there.  He has noticed that in nearly all his conversations the people give God credit for all the good in their lives and he loves hearing that.    

1 hour ago, Rain said:

I'm not sure which area my son's friend is in right now, but he is allowed to proselyte somewhat. He mentions a lot of places, but really doesn't mention where he is. Early on he did mention that he needed to be careful what he said, both there in the country and in his email, but he didn't really explain that.  I don't know if that was just the area he was currently in or if it was anywhere in the mission.  

Things seem to be going well for him, but he is an optimistic man on the whole.  He finds good in all the people he comes in contact with.  He loves learning from the people there.  He has noticed that in nearly all his conversations the people give God credit for all the good in their lives and he loves hearing that.    

I am reading about the history of the Church in that area and I love it!!! it's crazy! does he speak Turkish? does the Church have any meeting houses? I saw on youtube a young Turkish sister was called to serve in Germany, which is neat!

5 hours ago, Duncan said:

I am reading about the history of the Church in that area and I love it!!! it's crazy! does he speak Turkish? does the Church have any meeting houses? I saw on youtube a young Turkish sister was called to serve in Germany, which is neat!

He does speak Turkish though I don't know how well. He started learning when he got his call. I don't know if that is what he usually speaks while teaching or not. His dad is Lebonese and he speaks some of that as well, so it's possible he teaches in that language as well though I don't specifically remember him saying anything about that.

I don't know about meetinghouses. If he mentions any I will try to remember to let you know. 

His letters are generally what he has learned in a gospel sense rather than news of the culture or people. I don't know if that is just how he is, if that is the parts his mom forwards or if that is how he has been directed to write. So I'm sorry that I don't have a lot of info for you.  He is an amazing young man and I really miss his influence here around my son. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more information from him. He has been in Ankara and Istanbul. He says it is like being in different countries because it is so different.  He is in Istanbul now.    The branch is made of two groups - one that speaks English and one that speaks Turkish.  I'm not sure if they have 2 separate sacrament meetings or if they just speak Turkish in sacrament meeting.  

On 3/8/2016 at 2:25 PM, Rain said:

Got some more information from him. He has been in Ankara and Istanbul. He says it is like being in different countries because it is so different.  He is in Istanbul now.    The branch is made of two groups - one that speaks English and one that speaks Turkish.  I'm not sure if they have 2 separate sacrament meetings or if they just speak Turkish in sacrament meeting.  

ask him if the Church owns property. I heard that James Toronto is the Mission Pres. if so that will be his 2nd time as that, which is unusual but I think he probably speak the language which probably is necessary to serve there! hahahaha!

• 5 months later...

Forgot about your question Duncan. Sorry. 

My son's friend has been moved to Germany the last little while.  He is now trying to learn Arabic, but hasn't been able to find good resources for that yet.  He is working with refugees who speak Arabic. So he prayed and fasted over this. 

His dad also speaks Arabic. They have been given special permission to skype with his dad in Arabic for missionary lessons with investigators. 

I don't know if the plan to keep him in Germany is permanent or if there are plans to move him back to Turkey if things get better or not. Right now I just find this all pretty cool.

Edited by Rain
  • 4 weeks later...

As of this date, the "missionaries" (except perhaps one with vize snag) are back in Istanbul and Ankara. However, we should all heed the directives from SLC leaders and the Area leaders that from now on, they and the humanitarian couples are to be called "volunteers" and not called "missionaries" ... actually, no one is authorized to proselyte - no doorbell ringing - no such invading of anyone's residence or place of business. In Russia, this is against the law - thus "volunteers" serve as teachers within the meeting houses or when somebody requests instruction or information. Russia has some 10,000 members and is/was an Orthodox Christian country, whereas Turkey has perhaps 400 or so members but almost all are foreigners living in Turkey. Perhaps there are fifty or so Turkish members. In the operation centered in Istanbul, I don't believe outright proselyting is allowed in any country of that center - meaning Turkey and Central Asian Turkic republics plus Kazakistan.  There are some Turkish members and investigators, they come and go - retention is difficult because the members live in Turkish Islamic or Moslem families, communities, etc.  The BoM does bring some in - but it seems mainly those who remain active became members outside of the country and/or know English in addition to Turkish and thus can speak Turkish but think in English. There are exceptions - but most members are non-Turkish in Istanbul, also in Ankara, while the Adana Incirlik military base does not currently permit Turkish members at all - foreigners only. The İzmir, Karamürsel and Sinop (mainly) military groups or branches are no longer in existence. The Ms leaders are busy generating activities and getting the existing branches into shape - with leadership training, etc - and have an upcoming District Conference scheduled - this is the first District activity for years in Turkey - perhaps with some participation from Central Asian LDS units. Pray for advancement - and safety - although it seems that with each terrorist attack in Turkey, people outside Turkey panic for the safety of one and all - whereas terrorist attacks in Europe and even the USA seem to be less cause of panic ... called a relative in California to ask if he was safe after the latest problem in USA - he drily replied California is a long ways from that terrorist attack - but he used to telephone to me and ask the same question - but Istanbul is a long way from most problems and is a big city of 17 million - spread out in Europe and Asia - and we see the news on TV - seldom if ever in person - but rest assured, the young elders are back in Turkey.