Seriously No Politics ×

Asking Through Prayer

alemanrc

In 3Nefi 14: 7-8  it states - Ask, and it shall be given unto you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.

Many of us ask and pray constantly, but wonder why we are not granted things that will make our lives easier. I know people who have prayed for spiritual and material things and neither prayer have been answered. I have also seen people prayer for similar items, and have been blessed with the items, spiritual and material, sometime later after asking. Some prayers are answered, but only a very long period of time. 

The Bible states in the Bible dictionary prayer section that - "The object of prayer is not to change the will of God but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant but that are made conditional on our asking for them."

When we pray, we must keep this truth in mind. We should not pray for anything and everything that we want. Prayer is not a mean for financial independence, as so many believe, but a way to gain the blessing Heaven Fathers has already reserved for us, or to be granted those blessing that will make us a better person. All is of course with the condition that we ask for them, and that we follow the commandments. 

9 hours ago, alemanrc said:

In 3Nefi 14: 7-8  it states - Ask, and it shall be given unto you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.

Many of us ask and pray constantly, but wonder why we are not granted things that will make our lives easier. I know people who have prayed for spiritual and material things and neither prayer have been answered. I have also seen people prayer for similar items, and have been blessed with the items, spiritual and material, sometime later after asking. Some prayers are answered, but only a very long period of time. 

The Bible states in the Bible dictionary prayer section that - "The object of prayer is not to change the will of God but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant but that are made conditional on our asking for them."

When we pray, we must keep this truth in mind. We should not pray for anything and everything that we want. Prayer is not a mean for financial independence, as so many believe, but a way to gain the blessing Heaven Fathers has already reserved for us, or to be granted those blessing that will make us a better person. All is of course with the condition that we ask for them, and that we follow the commandments. 

To start with, "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated, and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated. (Doctrine and Covenants 130:20-21)

There are two many variables that come into play. But I do not think that riches are necessarily a direct blessing from God. More often than not, riches turn into a curse. I believe that the riches that the Nephites obtained so often while living righteously came as a natural result of a people working together to build up their culture, not stealing or defrauding each other, but working honestly and unselfishly for their individual and their collective good.

I do not know what spiritual gifts or blessings that you are talking about, but "all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby." (Doctrine and Covenants 46:11-12)

It might be helpful to review Section 46 of the Doctrine and Covenants in its entirety. It speaks to the matter a bit more.

Glenn

On 2/28/2016 at 9:14 AM, alemanrc said:

100% agree.