Seriously No Politics ×

Question about a website

Katzpur

Your second link doesn't work for me.  Is it the mormon.org site?  It looks just like a new format for that site.  Formatting is screwed up for me.  Need an update on my computer or it may be the mobile version?

25 minutes ago, Calm said:

Your second link doesn't work for me.  Is it the mormon.org site?  It looks just like a new format for that site.  Formatting is screwed up for me.  Need an update on my computer or it may be the mobile version?

Sorry about that.  I just fixed it.  The reason I was wondering was that there are a series of little videos describing Mormon beliefs on it (the Discover Mormon site).  They come across as rather non-professional, and the voice of the speaker is really annoying.  I just thought the site might be a hoax of some kind, but the information on it seems to be accurate.  There are also little quizzes people can take to see how "knowledgeable" they are.  It just doesn't seem like a typical genuine LDS site to me in some respects, and I wondered why the need for both it and mormon.org.

Yeah, I don't like the voice either of belief 1 very much (though it sounds like a lot of others I've heard), but the style is very popular now and it looks very professional to me.  Did you dislike all the belief videos or were there some that you saw as okay and others not?

You can give feedback about the site here:

https://www.allegiancetech.com/v7/Customerfeedback/feedbackloop.aspx?companyId=1832636&autoLocation=11488&startupLanguage=en_US

I have done that in the past and been contacted to participate in a couple of surveys, including one in person interview on improving navigating on the website…about ten years ago, iirc.

7 hours ago, Katzpur said:

Can anybody tell me anything about the website, Discover Mormon?  How, if at all, is it tied to this Official Mormon site?

Dunno.  However, the LDS Church has found that missionary work on the internet is very effective, and they have been doing it for a number of years now.  So I see every reason for constant expansion of the effort by this means.

There is a chat feature that probably goes to the missionaries.  This is a great site specifically to refer someone to learn about LDS beliefs, while mormon.org is rather general.

Thanks for the link.  I'll be sure to use it, especially if someone has a question about a specific belief.  A great tool for some of those antiMormon videos on youtube.

Edited by cdowis
  • 3 weeks later...

Just for the sake of educating...

The structure of a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is as follows:

E.g.  discover.mormon.org

• The last part, called the "Top Level Domain" or TLD, is one of the limited number of items (and growing over the years), and is supposed to signify the purpose of the Url or web address.  Originally, .COM was for commercial sites, .ORG was for non-profits, .NET was for networking entities, and these were the only really common ones.  There were others, such as .GOV and .MIL, for government (US govt, actually), and military.  And then there were the country TLDs, such .US, .UK, .TV (Tuvalu!) and so on.  The number of TLDs has grown enormously over the years.  I don't even know if anyone keeps track how many there are now.  And they aren't all three letters any longer, either.
  • The next part, moving right to left, is the primary domain.  This is the part that you register with a domain registrar (for a fee).  The LDS Church owns the domain "mormon" -- or, at least, it is registered to the LDS Church. 
  • The next part, moving further to the left, is sometimes omitted, is sometimes "www", but if other than omitted or www refers to a subdomain of the primary or main domain.  The subdomain is always part of the main domain.  So in our example, "discover" is a subdomain of the primary domain.  It's the property of the same entity that owns the primary domain, so you can be sure that they are related.

It's a lot more complicated than this, but this is the broad outline.

On 3/2/2016 at 10:59 AM, cdowis said:

There is a chat feature that probably goes to the missionaries.  This is a great site specifically to refer someone to learn about LDS beliefs, while mormon.org is rather general.

Thanks for the link.  I'll be sure to use it, especially if someone has a question about a specific belief.  A great tool for some of those antiMormon videos on youtube.

As of this post, you're reputation stands at 1,000, exactly.  Everyone should refrain from giving cdowis rep points, just to keep him at this beautiful number!  

JK !