Seriously No Politics ×

Need help on what antidepressant doesn't have a metallic taste.

Tacenda

I don't remember tasting metallic for any antidepressant I took (and I've taken all kinds), though some did change the taste or dryness in my mouth (and I would dream my teeth were cracking or I was chewing chains).  Lyrica made my mouth taste I was sucking on pennies though.  Will ask my daughter for her experience.

I like webmd's medication information.

Edited by Calm

Hello Tacenda... We haven't talked in some time... Sorry to hear you're feeling depressed... Wish I could help in some way... You're in my prayers so often and I always look for you on the board...

So here's a hug, and a prayer that you will feel better...

GG 

Edited by Garden Girl
53 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Hello Tacenda... We haven't talked in some time... Sorry to hear you're feeling depressed... Wish I could help in some way... You're in my prayers so often and I always look for you on the board...

So here's a hug, and a prayer that you will feel better...

GG 

I know, and I sure missed your posts.  It's mostly mild depression, but it's real.  I was just thinking I probably need something to get me back in life again.  The church thing has made me go completely bonkers.  I don't know what I'd do without this board, to let off some steam in a neutral environment

Hugs back GG!!

7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Why does it matter what the taste is? You only have it in your mouth for a second.

She is talking about long lasting changes.  For example, the drug that I take now, every day I wake up with a taste in my mouth that makes it seems like I haven't brushed my teeth in years, instead of hours.

With the Lyrica, my mouth always tasted like I was sucking on pennies.  I had to suck on jolly ranchers and even then as soon as one was gone, it was back.

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I know, and I sure missed your posts.  It's mostly mild depression, but it's real.  I was just thinking I probably need something to get me back in life again.  The church thing has made me go completely bonkers.  I don't know what I'd do without this board, to let off some steam in a neutral environment

Hugs back GG!!

If it has happened in the past few months, try getting outside even on a clouded day for at least 20 minutes as soon as you can after you have woken up.  If it is too cold for you, look into getting a light box.  SAD (seasonal affective disorder, the most appropriate acronym ever created) hits me every year, especially once the adrenalin for the holidays dries up.  Light really helps (and if I wasn't in hibernation mode, I would use it much more than I do).

Edited by Calm

Over the counter ketamine can help a lot.

After I had an extremely difficult run of events last year I finally succumbed to my doctor's advice and got a 3 month prescription for Pristiq, which is an SNRI.

It was great simply because it was normal. I didn't know what to expect when I first started, thinking it would make me feel "happy," "manic" or whatever. After a few weeks I remember being out for a walk and realizing that I simply felt normal for the first time. It helped me stabilize and balance, and while taking it I started mindfulness therapy. That might be something to look into as well. I would recommend mindfulness meditation to anyone.

Meditation doesn't mean striking a pose and breathing deep. For me I practice it while out walking along some footpaths and hiking trails. It simply means being actively engaged in your environment and body. I pay attention to the thump of my steps, how the impact feels, what it smells like outside, and how the cold air feels on my face. Simply being in the moment. It's something I've found to be prevalent in Christ's life and teachings throughout his ministry.

Sorry, that's rambling, but it's related. An anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill will help you normalize things. They can be miracles, and they were for me. The key though is to take the normalization it gives to look at your life, try therapies, be both introspective but also simplify. It provides a foundation, not a solution.

2 hours ago, halconero said:

Over the counter ketamine can help a lot.

After I had an extremely difficult run of events last year I finally succumbed to my doctor's advice and got a 3 month prescription for Pristiq, which is an SNRI.

It was great simply because it was normal. I didn't know what to expect when I first started, thinking it would make me feel "happy," "manic" or whatever. After a few weeks I remember being out for a walk and realizing that I simply felt normal for the first time. It helped me stabilize and balance, and while taking it I started mindfulness therapy. That might be something to look into as well. I would recommend mindfulness meditation to anyone.

Meditation doesn't mean striking a pose and breathing deep. For me I practice it while out walking along some footpaths and hiking trails. It simply means being actively engaged in your environment and body. I pay attention to the thump of my steps, how the impact feels, what it smells like outside, and how the cold air feels on my face. Simply being in the moment. It's something I've found to be prevalent in Christ's life and teachings throughout his ministry.

Sorry, that's rambling, but it's related. An anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill will help you normalize things. They can be miracles, and they were for me. The key though is to take the normalization it gives to look at your life, try therapies, be both introspective but also simplify. It provides a foundation, not a solution.

Thank you, I'm glad you're doing so much better now!  I attribute some of my depression to several things.  My beloved Yorkie getting hit by a car in the last few months.  My last child to leave the nest will be this weekend.  Some of the choices my children are making and feeling like I didn't teach them well.  Helping my homeless brother and feeling like there is nothing left to do, he's an alcoholic who nearly died a couple of weeks ago from it, had to be revived.  I keep trying to get him on his feet and now he's back to drinking again.  Right now, no one knows where he is.  I gave him some things to hock so he could buy a phone, he'd lost his old one during his drunk episode.  He may be lying in a gutter dead, for all I know.  

Also, feeling extremely lonely.  No VT'g anymore, no real close friends that I could pick up the phone and speak with on a deep level.  Siblings are all so busy, we never talk.  My poor husband is sick of my feelings of needing to move away, he'd rather stay put.

I really should go on a walk.  This was a daily occurrence with my little Biscuit before he died.  Thank you for this information I'll check it out!!  Hopefully it will help me out with my anxiety too!  I'm going to get some blood work to see if some levels are low, as Jana at Jade House suggested, for my vitamin D levels.

PS:  I think members on this board know me better and like me (hard to believe, haha) better than most people I know in real life.  

PSS:  I am taking meds for my hypothyroidism, so I better be careful with the Ketamine. Thanks ever so much Halconero.  

If you don't want to get another dog, you might want to offer to become a walker for someone who is shutin or doesn't have time.  Great way to develop a friendship as well.

Iirc, you had a job at a local school.  If you don't and actually have free time, you might want to check at your local library if they need tutors.  Ours is always looking for helpers to the point where they ask us to put it in our ward bulletins.

Edited by Calm
37 minutes ago, Calm said:

If you don't want to get another dog, you might want to offer to become a walker for someone who is shutin or doesn't have time.  Great way to develop a friendship as well.

Iirc, you had a job at a local school.  If you don't and actually have free time, you might want to check at your local library if they need tutors.  Ours is always looking for helpers to the point where they ask us to put it in our ward bulletins.

Wow, these are great ideas!  I love them both Calm!  ETA:  I still sub, and going to night classes in Health Technology.  But I'm struggling to pass the last class I took, passed the other two.  Thought I'd try schooling...kept saying I wanted to, so finally did.  I'm totally embarrassed because on paper, or the internet, I really have no business being depressed.

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Wow, these are great ideas!  I love them both Calm!  ETA:  I still sub, and going to night classes in Health Technology.  But I'm struggling to pass the last class I took, passed the other two.  Thought I'd try schooling...kept saying I wanted to, so finally did.  I'm totally embarrassed because on paper, or the internet, I really have no business being depressed.

Well, that is clinical despression.  You can't help that anymore than your thyroid issues.  But once you do get normalized you can help yourself like halc suggested.

That claim has been out for awhile, iirc.  Something about high altitude lowering serotonin levels (which low levels contribute to depression) and raising dopamine levels (which may lead to greater risk behaviour) which combination may result in suicide.

If my dopamine levels are helped out here, I would hate to see what my rls is like at sea level. 

Edited by Calm
14 minutes ago, Calm said:

That claim has been out for awhile, iirc.  Something about high altitude lowering serotonin levels (which low levels contribute to depression) and raising dopamine levels (which may lead to greater risk behaviour) which combination may result in suicide.

If my dopamine levels are helped out here, I would hate to see what my rls is like at sea level. 

Pretty much exactly what the article said. 

6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

http://mic.com/articles/104096/there-s-a-suicide-epidemic-in-utah-and-one-neuroscientist-thinks-he-knows-why#.LS8L9K6t9

No wonder Utah has one of the highest amount of prescription drug use in America.  I really want to move.  

Especially if the antidepressant studied (my memory says it was one drug, but there may have been other studies) was an SSRI.  That would be particularly successful in higher altitudes if serotonin levels were lower for the population.  IIRC, heat also lowers serotonin (seen it claimed this is why more violence, like riots happen during warmer months) so summer months you have a double whammy and then winter months for those who have seasonal affective disorder, they get hit harder as well.

8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Thank you, I'm glad you're doing so much better now!  I attribute some of my depression to several things.  My beloved Yorkie getting hit by a car in the last few months.  My last child to leave the nest will be this weekend.  Some of the choices my children are making and feeling like I didn't teach them well.  Helping my homeless brother and feeling like there is nothing left to do, he's an alcoholic who nearly died a couple of weeks ago from it, had to be revived.  I keep trying to get him on his feet and now he's back to drinking again.  Right now, no one knows where he is.  I gave him some things to hock so he could buy a phone, he'd lost his old one during his drunk episode.  He may be lying in a gutter dead, for all I know.  

Also, feeling extremely lonely.  No VT'g anymore, no real close friends that I could pick up the phone and speak with on a deep level.  Siblings are all so busy, we never talk.  My poor husband is sick of my feelings of needing to move away, he'd rather stay put.

I really should go on a walk.  This was a daily occurrence with my little Biscuit before he died.  Thank you for this information I'll check it out!!  Hopefully it will help me out with my anxiety too!  I'm going to get some blood work to see if some levels are low, as Jana at Jade House suggested, for my vitamin D levels.

PS:  I think members on this board know me better and like me (hard to believe, haha) better than most people I know in real life.  

PSS:  I am taking meds for my hypothyroidism, so I better be careful with the Ketamine. Thanks ever so much Halconero.  

I know I'm not a close friend, but I would be willing to talk. I'll pm you. If you Che not to call or not to talk once we have connected then no worries. 

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Not loading up for me.  What is the conclusion please?

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Pretty much exactly what the article said. 

Thanks for answering Calm for me.  Yes, it's not new news, but when I reread, it was more shocking to me.