I'm a softhead

salgare

For those that have put up with me so far:

As a side note, some things about me that will hopefully help you guys to continue to be patient with me.

Even before the short term memory issues induced by the chemo, these linguistics which are so key to these philosophies are foreign to the way my mind works.

When I read, I never view words as a sequence of syllables or process them with the spoken word.  I see them as a pattern of letters which I associate with the concept they represent. My pronunciation of words is every bit as bad as my spelling.  I have always had a hard time reading out loud.  For my career this worked well for me as the majority of my reading is very technical documentation.  In my younger years (pre-google) I had a somewhat photo graphic memory of the volumes of technical information on my shelves of roughly where to find a given pattern of letters representing a complex technical context, usually to within a few pages in a given chapter.  There is no reverse lookup (concept to word pattern).

When the software world starting following the rapid advancement of the microprocessor and memory, they moved from a paradigm of single threaded procedural (sequential) programming to multi-theaded Object Oriented programming.  This was a very hard switch for those of us that had done procedural programming for years before the hardware/memory allowed for Object Oriented code.  The polymorphism of a given object combined with complex inter-relationships between objects all being accessed simultaneously via multi-core multi-threaded micro processes provides a very abstract environment.  I've been daily immersed in this abstract world since 1995, having coded procedurally from the early 80's to that time.

At work I tend to have 6 to 8 objects evolving simultaneously as I try and sort each object's data set and behaviors in relationship to each other in some given sub-system.  I suppose it's like chess in a way, where based on well known patterns of play one can predict and plan several steps (objects) ahead.  My previous post is an example of my mind working in this fashion, looking to a future discussion (gathering data/behaviors).  Honestly, I'm not trying to be nuanced, I'm just very scatter brained in my Object Oriented Analysis, which I'm so conditioned to only ever do subjectively (I don't get out much).  

Edited by salgare

It seems my professional career parallels yours Salgare.  I began programming in the mid 1980's, and was very happy doing procedural programming using C and 8088 Assembly language.  Making the shift to OOP and event driven programming took a major paradigm shift on my part.  It was a difficult and time consuming transition to make.   

Top down programming is what we called it. Sometimes previous code that I had to wade through had so many gotos we called it spaghetti code. 

I took a Java course to prepare for the transition but the place went to Oracle ebusines suite so I used plsql instead. Moved to sys admin 10 years ago. Now SaaS has put the writing on the wall for the end of sys admins. Just need about 15 more years or so of work and then I'll retire. May have to remake myself for the tech world just one more time.

But I get thinking in code. 

3 hours ago, saemo said:

so I used plsql instead. 

ouch, I'm sorry :P

Yea, I've done my share of Stored Procedures in Oracle.  Thank goodness they now support Java as an option, and boy are they simple to write compared to plsql!

I use postgres where ever possible, Oracle can be painful.  Of course the brave new cloud world presents us with nonsql big data.  We are heavy into amazon AWS at this point.

3 hours ago, salgare said:

ouch, I'm sorry :P

Yea, I've done my share of Stored Procedures in Oracle.  Thank goodness they now support Java as an option, and boy are they simple to write compared to plsql!

I use postgres where ever possible, Oracle can be painful.  Of course the brave new cloud world presents us with nonsql big data.  We are heavy into amazon AWS at this point.

Web development where I'm at is on AWS and PWS. I have a few servers running in Azure. With Dell purchasing VMware I foresee that this managing a robust infrastructure onsite is going bye bye. Email and managing storage we've already turned over to the cloud. If I ever by another SAN again, I will be surprised.