Sign in to follow this  
BHodges

"Planted", new book from Maxwell Institute on doubt and faith

Sorry JamesBYoung, I resurrected a years-old thread with a years-old offer for a digital copy of that book.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JamesBYoung said:

I know Blair, so I can do that

Why does he not hang out here?

Lots of people lost interest overtime, less scholars or those so inclined showing up as they went to private lists or personal blogs.  This board has been around for 15 years or more, internet dialogue got has changed a lot, people's lives and interests have change.  Blair shows up sometimes to share Maxwell news, have to check his profile to send when he last appeared. (Says Feb 2019)

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2016 at 1:21 PM, Daniel2 said:

I never really thought about the concept that LDS scriptures "command" us not to doubt. 

I wonder if that's even possible...?  Is doubt--or a lack thereof--an action that is simply a matter of obedience...?  Is it realistic to say, "Thou shalt not doubt?" or "I command you not to doubt?" (or however else such a "command" would/could be worded)...

In my experience, doubt isn't a willful act; that is, doubt (like belief) isn't necessary a matter of choice. 

In my opinion and experience (as well of the experiences of many who ultimately leave the church, based on their own accounts), doubt is a natural result and un-chosen (and often initially unpleasant, unsettling, distressing, horrifying, and UNwanted) response within one's mind and heart once an individual becomes aware of information or lives through experienceswhich challenge one's personal beliefs. 

As such, I don't think it's a matter of obedience or not, and I think it would be unrealistic to simply say, "Don't doubt!"  It would be as unrealistic to try to say, "Don't Think!" or "Don't Feel!"

I would agree with you only in part. Doubt take the form of a thought or reflections concerning a certain issue. But we have the ability to redirect our thoughts into other pursuits and fix our attention on a different subject.

Think of it as if an extraordinarily beautiful woman, dressed extremely provocatively comes into your field of vision. You can't help glance at her. It just happened. But now that you are fully cognizant of your predicament, you have a choice. Continue to keep your eyes glued to her body and letting your imagination fly or, switch gear and onto something else. That is a conscious choice.

Munchausen said (and I paraphrase) "a bird can land on your head, but you don't  have to let it nest on it..."

On 7/18/2020 at 8:19 PM, Islander said:

I would agree with you only in part. Doubt take the form of a thought or reflections concerning a certain issue. But we have the ability to redirect our thoughts into other pursuits and fix our attention on a different subject.

Think of it as if an extraordinarily beautiful woman, dressed extremely provocatively comes into your field of vision. You can't help glance at her. It just happened. But now that you are fully cognizant of your predicament, you have a choice. Continue to keep your eyes glued to her body and letting your imagination fly or, switch gear and onto something else. That is a conscious choice.

Munchausen said (and I paraphrase) "a bird can land on your head, but you don't  have to let it nest on it..."

Too often, doubt is conflated with questioning. They are not synonyms. I can have questions about many things without doubting their reality or verity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Too often, doubt is conflated with questioning. They are not synonyms. I can have questions about many things without doubting their reality or verity. 

True.