Seriously No Politics ×

Where do suicidies go?

poptart

If this is about yourself, please call 1-800-273-8255

https://www.lds.org/topics/suicide?lang=eng

Although it is wrong to take one's own life, a person who commits suicide may not be responsible for his or her acts. Only God can judge such a matter. Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said:

“Obviously, we do not know the full circumstances surrounding every suicide. Only the Lord knows all the details, and he it is who will judge our actions here on earth.

“When he does judge us, I feel he will take all things into consideration: our genetic and chemical makeup, our mental state, our intellectual capacity, the teachings we have received, the traditions of our fathers, our health, and so forth” (“Suicide: Some Things We Know, and Some We Do Not,” Ensign, Oct. 1987, 8).

Everyone (except a relatively few sons of perdition) gains at least the third kingdom of glory.   But there may be no reason why someone who commits suicide might not be eligible to live with God in the celestial kingdom.   I don't think it is possible to know on the basis of how a person dies, where his rightful eternal place will or should be. 

So if you are counseling someone on the issue, the best you can say is that it wrong (and extremely shortsighted, and maybe even sin depending on the capacity existing at the time) to cut short the life that Heavenly Parents gave you to work out your salvation and learn what you chose to learn when you chose Their plan before you came to earth.    But the truth is that the effect in a specific case of doing it, mortals simply cannot know.   What they can know is that we came to earth to get this mortal body which we needed in order to become like God.  And when we die, we leave the body in the grave until resurrection, but we do not leave in the grave all the cravings and needs of the body that might be part of the soul: meaning that suicide isn't going to solve much of the pain people think they are going to escape, and it may even make some of those pains harder for the still living spirit to handle.

On 1/15/2016 at 10:33 PM, The Nehor said:

Echoing the above, if this is about you please get help now.

Generally it is a sin but situations may prompt God to view it differently. The best plan is still never to commit suicide yourself.

Yes, you should always have someone else commit your suicide for you.

Did you write what you intended to write?

OH, never mind, this is the social hall.  My post assumed General Discussions, so nevermind.

Edited by Stargazer
5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Having someone else commit your suicide is murder isn't it? Or at least euthanasia.

OK.  Look here.  You wrote:

The best plan is still never to commit suicide yourself.

The key word in this sentence is "yourself".  Thus the question, "Is it best to have someone commit suicide for you?"  Because if they did it for you, you didn't do it yourself.

I was trying to get you to realize that your sentence had an extra word that seemed to imply there was an option that, when it came to suicide, someone else could do it for you.

Perhaps I was trying too hard.  

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

OK.  Look here.  You wrote:

The key word in this sentence is "yourself".  Thus the question, "Is it best to have someone commit suicide for you?"  Because if they did it for you, you didn't do it yourself.

I was trying to get you to realize that your sentence had an extra word that seemed to imply there was an option that, when it came to suicide, someone else could do it for you.

Perhaps I was trying too hard.  

I got it. I was just trying to be annoying. Did it work?

On 1/16/2016 at 9:55 AM, The Nehor said:

I got it. I was just trying to be annoying. Did it work?

Oh, yes.  I frequently get annoyed by some of the things you post, but then I backtrack and realize that this is one of your goals.  At that point I simply sit back and marvel at how well you pull it off!  

And then there are times when you post things in all seriousness and all I can do is admire what you wrote and how you wrote it.  You're one of the great features of this forum, even if you are occasionally dead wrong about something!  IMHO.

Hello Poptart,

This is such a difficult topic to discuss.  I have read several of the comments that have already been made. 

The bottom line is that we don't know the condition or judgment of those who commit suicide.  It is a tragedy that these individuals knew such pain.  I am grateful that we are taught to withhold any judgment against these individuals. 

How I have dealt with those members of my extended family that have chosen this path is to place them completely in our Father in Heaven's hands.  I have often prayed for his mercy on their behalf. 

For those plagued with thoughts of taking such an action there is so much that can be done to assist them see a light in their darkness.  If you know of someone encourage them to reach out and talk with a professional. 

On 1/15/2016 at 11:33 PM, The Nehor said:

Generally it is a sin but situations may prompt God to view it differently. The best plan is still never to commit suicide yourself.

hehe,   always get someone else to do it for you!

I can to the brink of that dark void over issues with my cancer.  In the day one would say "he had a mental break down".  I never knew what that meant other than the broken mental person always ended up in the psycho ward.

Right at that brink, there is a cracking point.  I never want to go there again.  But if I do, Nehor will you shoot me?

The correct answer is, "It depends". I tend to believe that suicide is not a sin when it is the result of a mental disease.

I have had a lot of friends and acquaintances kill themselves recently. It's very tragic. The pain that it caused their surviving loved ones is overwhelmingly powerful. I have concluded that when these people killed themselves they didn't comprehend the pain that their loved ones would feel because of their choice , otherwise they would have never done it. In their darkest hour they were blinded by their own pain, and had lost the ability to think rationally. I believe all of them died as the result of a mental disease, not from a wicked heart.

5 hours ago, Joe said:

The correct answer is, "It depends". I tend to believe that suicide is not a sin when it is the result of a mental disease.

I have had a lot of friends and acquaintances kill themselves recently. It's very tragic. The pain that it caused their surviving loved ones is overwhelmingly powerful. I have concluded that when these people killed themselves they didn't comprehend the pain that their loved ones would feel because of their choice , otherwise they would have never done it. In their darkest hour they were blinded by their own pain, and had lost the ability to think rationally. I believe all of them died as the result of a mental disease, not from a wicked heart.

I agree with this on many levels.  My brother in law committed suicide and left my sister devasted...and she had already lost an 11 year old daughter.  Yet she did this to herself.  I think surely she would have known what this would do to the rest of us by first hand knowledge.  We cannot know what goes through their minds..but I don't think anyone was more surprised than she was when she woke up in the spirit world.