Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Apostle: Policy on same-sex couples was revelation from God

6 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are proposing here.  Here's an excerpt from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism entry on "Doctrine":

So are the recent changes in the CHI "doctrine?"  Well, the changes pertain to several important teachings, such as the Law of Chastity, the nature and significance of marriage and family, and a few others.  But these things, as important as they are, are nonetheless "subordinate" to the "doctrine of Christ" (that he is the Messiah, the Redeemer).

I can see what you mean about the changes being "applications" of doctrinal principles, rather than "principles" per se.

Thanks,

-Smac

Elder Bednar in his book "Increase in Learning" describes doctrine as "a truth of salvation revealed by a loving Heavenly Father. Gospel doctrines are eternal, do not change, and pertain to the eternal progression and exaltation..." Examples he listed: nature of the Godhead, the plan of happiness and the atonement.

A principle is "a doctrinal based guideline for the righteous exercise of moral agency. Principles provide direction. Correct principles always are based upon and arise from doctrines, do not change, and answer the question of what? Many principles can grow out of and be associated with a single doctrine." Example given - doctrine plan of happiness and obedience, service and progression principles.

"Applications are the actual behaviors, action steps, practices, or procedures by which gospel doctrines and principles are enacted in our lives...applications appropriately  can vary according to needs and circumstances."

Not trying to hide anything with the ellipses, just slowly typing on my phone and it is bedtime.

One of the reasons it is important not to call the application a doctrine is people get a sense of what doctrine is though they cannot always define it well. If an application changes then many will be thrown by it if they understood it to be doctrine. Yes, an application may come from a doctrine, as I believe these changes do, but they are not doctrine according to my understanding and I felt it was important to make that distinction for some reason.

24 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

That's because all the other information describe the revelation Pres. Monson received the same as the President Nelson's - a spiritual confirmation.

God's actual words haven't been heard in years.  It's all about feelings now.

When he spoke I understood him to say they each received confirmation in whatever way of President Monson's "revelation".

5 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Revelation is a daily event in the Church. None of this will surprise most Church members. From the same sermon of Pres. Kimball again:

So we seem to be conflating "revelation" as meaning (A) guidance from God to the Presiding High Priest which is binding on the entirety of the Church, and (B) guidance from God to the Presiding High Priest which is binding on the entirety of the Church and which is canonized in the Scriptures.

Put another way, some folks are saying that "revelation" under Definition (A) doesn't count as "revelation" until and unless it is formally canonized (Definition (B)).

Here is an interesting blog entry on this topic.  The blogger makes some interesting points, as do some commenters.

Thanks,

-Smac

39 minutes ago, rockpond said:

PCalm,

I knew the Church had lost its way when the Nov 13 letter came out.  But I love my ward, I love the amazing spirit I feel there on Sundays.  I love my bishop and serving with him.  I love the great experiences I have in church, with the gospel, in my calling.  The great spirit that is there in when I'm doing temple recommend renewals.  I could go on and on.

It hurts, literally, to give that up.  But it also hurts to stay.  I was hopeful that we'd distance ourselves from this policy in the coming months but with this, it seems that we won't or can't.

What am I supposed to do?  I can't be a party to this.  Can't raise my kids letting them think I'm okay with this.  Can't tell my friends and neighbors that I support this as a Mormon.  I have a hard time sitting on that stand every week thinking that ward members may assume I am on board with this atrocity.

Not sure how much further the church can move away from the gospel principles that are profoundly important to me and still have me as a member.  And yet, today was an incredibly uplifting, spiritual day at church.

I welcome advice.

Perhaps not enough of the fringe resigned and they decided to shake the tree again?

43 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Calm,

I knew the Church had lost its way when the Nov 13 letter came out.  But I love my ward, I love the amazing spirit I feel there on Sundays.  I love my bishop and serving with him.  I love the great experiences I have in church, with the gospel, in my calling.  The great spirit that is there in when I'm doing temple recommend renewals.  I could go on and on.

It hurts, literally, to give that up.  But it also hurts to stay.  I was hopeful that we'd distance ourselves from this policy in the coming months but with this, it seems that we won't or can't.

What am I supposed to do?  I can't be a party to this.  Can't raise my kids letting them think I'm okay with this.  Can't tell my friends and neighbors that I support this as a Mormon.  I have a hard time sitting on that stand every week thinking that ward members may assume I am on board with this atrocity.

Not sure how much further the church can move away from the gospel principles that are profoundly important to me and still have me as a member.  And yet, today was an incredibly uplifting, spiritual day at church.

I welcome advice.

Ask yourself this question: What is the worst possible outcome of you leaving the Church (and taking your family with you)? What's the worst that could happen?

I liken it to a bet. What comes of the bet they made with the life they lived?

A Church member who chooses to believe, and it all turns out to be true. They gain everything.

A Church member who chooses to believe, but it all turns out to be false. They lose nothing.

A Church member who chooses not to believe, but it all turns out to be true. They lose everything.

A Church member who chooses not to believe, but it all turns out to be false anyway. They gain nothing.

What's the smart bet with your life (and that of your family)? Are you prepared to lay aside what you stand to gain by holding on versus what you stand to lose by giving up? Is it worth it?

Edited by Gillebre
1 minute ago, Gillebre said:

Ask yourself this question: What is the worst possible outcome of you leaving the Church (and taking your family with you)? What's the worst that could happen?

I liken it to a bet.

A Church member who chooses to believe, and it all turns out to be true. What comes of the bet they made with the life they lived? They gain everything.

A Church member who chooses to believe, but it all turns out to be false. What comes of the bet they made with the life they lived? They lose nothing.

A Church member who chooses not to believe, but it all turns out to be true. What comes of the bet they made with the life they lived? They lose everything.

A Church member who chooses not to believe, but it all turns out to be false anyway. What comes of the bet they made with the life they lived? They gain nothing.

What's the smart bet with your life (and that of your family)? Are you prepared to lay aside what you stand to gain by holding on versus what you stand to lose by giving up? Is it worth it?

This is called "Pascal's Wager," is it not?

2 hours ago, Calm said:

This may change the dialogue a bit.  Something I came across that appears to have been actually posted less than an hour after the link that Smac posted went up that makes me think the author hadn't seen this yet.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormon/2016/01/god-is-silent-on-same-sex-marriage-how-opinion-becomes-doctrine/

Well, this is interesting.  The above link is now dead.

Thanks,

-Smac

34 minutes ago, salgare said:

At least with the lowering of missionary age "revelation" was announced publicly over the pulpit of GC.  I think they have just wanted long enough to let things settle down a bit and are now trying to replace in our memories how this was revealed through private channels and not intended for the ears of the general membership.

I'd question how often God gives instruction/revelation to/for THE CHURCH which is held and handled in private channels.

It happened at least twice during the Savior's earthly ministry.  

When Jesus asked his apostles who they thought he was, Peter revealed what he had had revealed to himself:

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

Matthew 16:15-20

It was revealed and confirmed that he was the Messiah, but they weren't to tell anyone.

Afterwards, when Jesus took Peter, James and John took to Mt. Carmel for the Transfiguration, he made it very clear to them that they were to keep what they had seen hidden:

And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead. 

-- Matthew 17:9

30 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

There is scriptural support for that.

Nehor, It seems none of those here who I assume are orthodox Mormons seem willing to post to this thread: http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/66765-philosophies-of-men/

Is the author of that article with the Givens some they hope to shake out?  I'm so confused about this.

Edited by salgare
6 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Well, this is interesting.  The above link is now dead.

Thanks,

-Smac

Well, good thing I haven't refreshed the page it's on, then!  I have the text in case anyone wants to read it.

9 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

It happened at least twice during the Savior's earthly ministry. 

These were not revelations from God TO THE CHURCH for a policy of such impact.  Sorry Stargazer, justifying it all you want, I don't buy it.

eta:

for those wanting to listen to just this section of the talk jump to 45:30

Edited by salgare
2 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Well, good thing I haven't refreshed the page it's on, then!  I have the text in case anyone wants to read it.

I also fisked several portions of the post here.

I'd like to think that the post was pulled because the author thought better of it.  

Thanks,

-Smac

8 minutes ago, salgare said:

Is the author of that critical along with the Givens some they hope to shake out?  I'm so confused about this.

Just in case in helps further the dialogue, I'm personally confused by your question. What is a 'critical'? Who are 'they'? What does it mean 'to shake out'? What is 'this'?

2 minutes ago, salgare said:

These were not revelations from God TO THE CHURCH for a policy of such impact.  Sorry Stargazer, justifying it all you want, I don't buy it.

!!!!!  You literally made me drop my jaw in amazement.  Are you freaking kidding me?  God to the Chief Apostle: "Jesus is the Christ."  A special witness receives his witness, and that's "witness", as in something he's expected to actually reveal to others as the Spirit dictates, and this ISN'T TO THE CHURCH as well as to the World?  Same with the Transfiguration!  It was something they were to testify of, but just not yet.

Of course you wouldn't buy it.  It destroys your case, and since you cannot bear to have your case destroyed, naturally it must be denied -- in the face of all logic.

44 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Revelation is a daily event in the Church. None of this will surprise most Church members. From the same sermon of Pres. Kimball again:

I dare say that throughout the ages, the kind of revelation we are talking about here -- spiritual impressions attended by quiet feelings of confidence -- has been a great deal more common than the spectacular, earth-shattering, spoken-word kind of thing that some seem to demand of prophets and apostles. It's the spoken-word revelation that gets recorded -- and thus gets the most attention -- so I fear some insist on that being the standard for all revelation. In this, they err.

Edited by Scott Lloyd