My gratitude to the church, update and some personal obervations.

poptart

Hello,

been a while since i've been here, a lot has happened since then, thought I would check in and say hello.  To cut to the chase i've found gainful employment in something in my field literally right in time before everything fell apart.  Before that I had been working for DI then a brief stint as a nurse aid.  I'll start with DI.  For starters I still cannot believe the Bishop was that nice, i'm an outsider and yet he signed off on everything.  I had and still am in close touch with a few people in the ward, but I go off and on.  I like the ward activities, the members on a whole seem to be quite a bit healthier than the average American which I can relate too as I cook for myself, exercise a lot and figure part of being healthy mentally is being healthy physically so I fit right in.  Anyway, at DI it was well, interesting.  The opportunities were amazing, they gave so many people second chances and the ingratitude was simply mind blowing.  In this day and age no one shows anyone mercy in the workforce and here are these kind people from the church offering these ingrates, many non members like myself a second chance and they just blow it off.  Heh, the irony, i'm in my early 30's and since I took care of myself most people think i'm younger, was even called elder by one particularly elderly customer.  Not sure if he was joking or just really blind but what I did find amazing was how so many members my age had tattoos, spotty histories and what not yet here I was, the outsider with no tattoos nor anything to hint that I had a spotty pass at all.  Not trying to judge here, I just never had an interest in those things.  Since I've always liked the outdoors and being active I never had time for a lot of the bad things out there so I just naturally kept out of trouble, but wow the disfunction really suprised me.  What amazed me even more was hearing from some members there my age that a lot of people convert just to get benefits from the church.  I'm grateful for the help I received and would not have thought of taking food from the bishop even if offered, yet this stuff goes on.  LDS charity amazes me to no end.  Once I get the funds I plan on tossing cash, meat (if they take elk) and volunteering once work lets up a bit, I'll never forget the kindness I was shown.  I was bad, Wal-mart took their sweet time getting back to me but DI came in just in time.  After DI, I was a nurse aid for a bit, wow that was an experience.  Americans treat their elderly horribly.  I had always known this but when you see it in person it's just shocking.  I met a few LDS faithful there and geez it's disgusting how their kids treat them.  I was probably more family to them in the few months I was there than their own has been in years. Anyway, I finally found work in my field and moved on and here I am. 

You know, the LDS are an interesting people.  My mom who went to BYUH has always had kind things to say about them, she was and is still right.  A lot of her family is catholic too and technically since i'm a baptised catholic I fall into the same boat, yet they sure seem the same in many ways, except the pope and the others in leadership still have waaaay sweater bling and robes. 

I think what does disturb me about the LDS is how the younger crop sure has some serious issues.  One I keep in touch with worked in the prison system and has seem the same stuff I have.  Many of her kids had substance abuse issues and what not.  ALso the mental issues.  I think the one thing that really sticks out is how she can spot the anxiety issues I still have.  It's like, it's ok to be a little messed up especially when it's not my fault.  It was so great to hear that from someone who understands what it's like to fight all your life and for the most part on your own.  THat being said, despite the misery I had to endure it's amazing just the kind of disfunction that happens in the LDS ranks; drugs, violence, and all the other social issues that affect modern US society. 

I have been asked by the bishop if I would consider baptism, so far that has been a very difficult thing to consider.  For one after all the violence I've had to endure, pain, misery, suicide attempts, my mother and I being treated like 2nd class citizens/animals at times and just being looked at as a worthless creature who should just die and be forgotten it's rather difficult for me to relate to a young missionary who has yet to see what a horrible place this world can be nor has had to endure what i've had to.  I also lack the compassion, empathy and other qualities many i've seen have.  When I needed it most, even when I had shown the type of kindness people in the USA seem to rarely show anymore I was backstabbed for it and left to suffer so it is very very difficult for me to fall in line when it comes to things like ministering to others who have not had to suffer like I have nor endure extreme psychologoical trauma.  Also, I admire how Catholic Clergy still has the guts to call people out on the rampant materialism, selfishness and evil in the USA nowadays.  Pope Francis was simply awesome when he called out all the vices of US society infront of congress, that took guts and it seems like it's always the Catholic Church who has the guts to step up and say enough is enough, I wish the LDS church would be more vocal and tell Americans to grow up.  We keep blaming the gov't and society but no one is willing to take a good, long hard look in the mirror and ask what have I done to cause this?  What can I do to make it better?

Also, the temple rituals are interesting.  Never been inside one but from what i've heard they closely resemble masonic ritual, that is until they revised everything in the early 2000's.  Until then they sure mirrored masonic degree work, down to the aprons, hand signals, etc.  It's no big deal, it's just something that stuck out to me. 

Anyway, sorry if all this was long, but considering the ranting I did on here a while ago and the help I did receive from the church and the continued friendship I've recieved from many within the church and here I figured I owed everyone an update. 

"  I met a few LDS faithful there and geez it's disgusting how their kids treat them"

You are likely getting a view at the end of the spectrum.  I know a number of LDS who have their parents in their home to take care of them or work hard to help them stay in their own homes until almost death.  In fact, I had a talk with the retirement home where my parents moved (they had been living too far from family for us to help and could no longer manage on their own) and they were talking about how much longer it was taking to fill the place up than expected as the numbers of elderly indicated it would be booming but Utah Valley was unusually good at keeping the seniors in regular homes.  I have no clue if she was correct, but it was a major senior center cooporation with places all over the US who had invested big time expecting a big return so I am thinking she was probably accurate.

In my experience, LDS tend to be very involved in their kids' lives.  Sometimes this can backfire.  We also tend to be typically a bit more affluent.  Again something that can result in kids not being as responsible citizens at times.  I have no clue how we stack up in comparison when it comes to selfishness and irresponsibility.  I see a lot of kids I am impressed with and some not so much, just as when I lived outside of Utah.

Edited by Calm

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, poptart.

Warm regards, :)

-Ken

I like you poptart, for the mere fact you were kind and helped the elderly.  Being a CNA is no easy task, you have to be a special human being, of course there are the bad ones out there, but hopefully the good outweigh the bad.  Nice to have you back!!

poptart

Also, I admire how Catholic Clergy still has the guts to call people out on the rampant materialism, selfishness and evil in the USA nowadays.  Pope Francis was simply awesome when he called out all the vices of US society infront of congress, that took guts and it seems like it's always the Catholic Church who has the guts to step up and say enough is enough, I wish the LDS church would be more vocal and tell Americans to grow up. 

3DOP

Nevermind. Anti-Catholic rant not appropriate for Social Hall.

Edited by 3DOP
social hall
23 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Welcome back but I don't think personal threads are allowed in General Discussion forum.

Ops.

23 hours ago, Calm said:

"  I met a few LDS faithful there and geez it's disgusting how their kids treat them"

You are likely getting a view at the end of the spectrum.  I know a number of LDS who have their parents in their home to take care of them or work hard to help them stay in their own homes until almost death.  In fact, I had a talk with the retirement home where my parents moved (they had been living too far from family for us to help and could no longer manage on their own) and they were talking about how much longer it was taking to fill the place up than expected as the numbers of elderly indicated it would be booming but Utah Valley was unusually good at keeping the seniors in regular homes.  I have no clue if she was correct, but it was a major senior center cooporation with places all over the US who had invested big time expecting a big return so I am thinking she was probably accurate.

In my experience, LDS tend to be very involved in their kids' lives.  Sometimes this can backfire.  We also tend to be typically a bit more affluent.  Again something that can result in kids not being as responsible citizens at times.  I have no clue how we stack up in comparison when it comes to selfishness and irresponsibility.  I see a lot of kids I am impressed with and some not so much, just as when I lived outside of Utah.

They were still cared for a lot more than most of the other residents.  Americans treat their elderly horribly, but when I see how they raise their kids no wonder.

I've noticed that, LDS do tend to be more affluent, not too hard when as a group you focus on family, strive to live a clean life and understand that when you care for your kids they will (usually) look out for you in your golden years.  That, and grandparents are the best babysitters, they raised kids that turned into capable adults so they obviously know a thing or two, not to mention the wisdom they have to pass on.  Shame contemporary US society has forgotten that simple truth that the rest of the civilized world still remembers and practices.  It's stuff like that which really does not make me care at all what happens to US society on a whole, let them slaughter eachother, if they can't live like decient people I say let old fashioned biblical justice be meted out.

11 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I like you poptart, for the mere fact you were kind and helped the elderly.  Being a CNA is no easy task, you have to be a special human being, of course there are the bad ones out there, but hopefully the good outweigh the bad.  Nice to have you back!!

When you're desperate you do what you have to do and yeah, a lot of the aids I saw treated their residents like garbage.  It's a shame, but it is what it is.  Have to say nursing homes are horrible places in general, the ones i've seen anyway.  Think I would jump off a bridge first if it ever came to me having to live in one. 

3 hours ago, 3DOP said:

poptart

Also, I admire how Catholic Clergy still has the guts to call people out on the rampant materialism, selfishness and evil in the USA nowadays.  Pope Francis was simply awesome when he called out all the vices of US society infront of congress, that took guts and it seems like it's always the Catholic Church who has the guts to step up and say enough is enough, I wish the LDS church would be more vocal and tell Americans to grow up. 

3DOP

Nevermind. Anti-Catholic rant not appropriate for Social Hall.

Nooo, please lets hear the Anti-Catholic rant. 

You can read some of 3DOP's stuff in In The News.  Having known him for a long time (it has been over a decade I believe since I first met him online and knew he was a good man the first thing I read from him), it saddens me to see him so troubled by the leaders of his faith community even as he stands strong in his actual faith.

Edited by Calm
22 hours ago, Calm said:

You can read some of 3DOP's stuff in In The News.  Having known him for a long time (it has been over a decade I believe since I first met him online and knew he was a good man the first thing I read from him), it saddens me to see him so troubled by the leaders of his faith community even as he stands strong in his actual faith.

Hey cal. Thank you for the kind words and for your sympathy.

I do not like to appear to be "so troubled". But I accept it if that is the perception.

I am assuredly troubled for such a confused state of affairs that Holy Mother Church seems to seek congratulations from those who have no connection with her. Now she receives praise from many who assuredly despise the strength with which she once set herself as a contradiction to the precepts and counsels of the world, in imitation of her Divine Head and Spouse, our Lord Jesus Christ. She seems to me to be in her dotage. Of course. It has all been prophesied (with a closed canon, heh!). I am sure I have been guilty of occasional anger. But her children should know what is happening. We must never be so frustrated as to be bitter towards her who bore us, if we persevere, unto eternal life. It can be hard to listen to the backhanded compliments of many who in all reality reveal that they pretty much despise what she has been for almost her entire life. It is as though they hope she is "changing her will" in old age, before she finally dies, after 2,000 years of promising something else. Many are the voices who now happily remind us who are aware of the honor that she deserves, of the crazy and altogether contradictory things she now says. Delirious or demented, unable to recognize her own most devoted children anymore, by God's grace, I will love her to the end. 

Edited by 3DOP
On 1/12/2016 at 7:12 PM, 3DOP said:

Edited by 3DOP

So what is DI? Poptart. Hi. Keep praying and believing. God delights in those who cry to Him "from the depths". Sorry for the interruption.  God bless.

3DOP

1 hour ago, 3DOP said:

So what is DI? Poptart.

3DOP

DI = Deseret Industries.   http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/deseret-industries

DI is somewhat similar to Goodwill.  Besides providing employment opportunities, a major emphasis is to provide experience and training that helps propel economically disadvantaged folks--regardless of religious preference--toward financial independence.

17 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Hey cal. Thank you for the kind words and for your sympathy.

I do not like to appear to be "so troubled". But I accept it if that is the perception.

I am assuredly troubled for such a confused state of affairs that Holy Mother Church seems to seek congratulations from those who have no connection with her. Now she receives praise from many who assuredly despise the strength with which she once set herself as a contradiction to the precepts and counsels of the world, in imitation of her Divine Head and Spouse, our Lord Jesus Christ. She seems to me to be in her dotage. Of course. It has all been prophesied (with a closed canon, heh!). I am sure I have been guilty of occasional anger. But her children should know what is happening. We must never be so frustrated as to be bitter towards her who bore us, if we persevere, unto eternal life. It can be hard to listen to the backhanded compliments of many who in all reality reveal that they pretty much despise what she has been for almost her entire life. It is as though they hope she is "changing her will" in old age, before she finally dies, after 2,000 years of promising something else. Many are the voices who now happily remind us who are aware of the honor that she deserves, of the crazy and altogether contradictory things she now says. Delirious or demented, unable to recognize her own most devoted children anymore, by God's grace, I will love her to the end. 

Your comments put me in mind of some of my reactions with my aging mother.  Our faiths have played the role of parents for us it seems to me, as they should.  I look forward to a time my mom will be not only fully restored, but perfect and I will see in her more beauty and wisdom than ever before.  In many ways I feel the same way about the LDS Church as I do about my mom though it has more the feeling of a maturing adult than old age.

Well shoot. Deseret Industries! DI. Yeah. Okay. Thanks. Makes sense now. I am completely familiar.