Jump to content

Board Guidelines Update - Please Review Before Posting


Ares

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Not sure but there is an update I’m going to do tonight that fixes some bugs maybe that’s one of them?  

It is not a bug, but a benefit I am guessing. Long quotes take up lots of room. Could be most message boards are quotes of older posts and who wants to read those again?  It is only when using documentation that this bothers me. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Not sure but there is an update I’m going to do tonight that fixes some bugs maybe that’s one of them?  

Can I just say, that I was very wrong about the new changes! Now I love them.

Although I cannot give the heart or arrow up on the right side of the quotes, because of my low status, or my "limited" status. ;) I think that looks like fun to do, and so many times I've wanted to be a part of that function. And like Calm mentions below, the shortening of the comment to sort of disappear until one expands it is nice because it shortens up the thread and to make it more readable. Thanks for all your work! All volunteer and non-funding and here you are helping us all out. Too bad because I'd donate! 

Link to comment
On 10/11/2020 at 6:10 PM, Tacenda said:

I often feel bad for our mods thinking they aren't able to really post or have dialogue. But maybe I'm wrong and any one of you could be nemesis, hopefully that is so. 

Back in the day when I created a board for a sci fi series, I had three or four accounts, two of them were mods. The original mod was the Founder: severe and humorless. The other one was more sympathetic, and when he wanted to get tough, he would threaten to bring the mean mod into a conversation. My normal posting account would occasionally reference the mods in some degree of trepidation, and the nice mod would caution him against being too rebellious. This was to give the independence a degree of verisimilitude while being a complete lie. Oh, I was devious.

Wouldn't it be fun if @smac97 was @Nemesis in disguise?

 

On 10/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, Calm said:

But no, I will never be a mod again.  I broke my vow once for FM and won't again as it confirmed all my reasons for not doing it....takes all the fun out of posting for me.

Something I will never do again, either. Just because by not being a mod, I can ignore this place for weeks, and not feel like I'm not doing my job.

Edited by Stargazer
Link to comment
On 10/23/2020 at 4:28 AM, Tacenda said:

Can I just say, that I was very wrong about the new changes! Now I love them.

I was a bit perplexed at first, then loved them.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:28 AM, Tacenda said:

Although I cannot give the heart or arrow up on the right side of the quotes, because of my low status, or my "limited" status. ;) I think that looks like fun to do, and so many times I've wanted to be a part of that function. And like Calm mentions below, the shortening of the comment to sort of disappear until one expands it is nice because it shortens up the thread and to make it more readable.

The automatic quote-shortening is wonderful! The days of have a thousand-line post repeated back in its entirety, followed by a one-liner in response used to drive me up a wall.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:28 AM, Tacenda said:

Thanks for all your work! All volunteer and non-funding and here you are helping us all out. Too bad because I'd donate! 

I would donate, too! You could do Patreon, @Nemesis! But I suppose it might create a situation where you had to ban someone who was helping to pay for the place, and that would be a problem...

Link to comment
  • 3 months later...

I just noticed that Stargazer's last post in this topic was on my last birthday:  Happy birthday to me!  Happy birthday to me!  Happy birthday dear Kenny!  Happy birthday to me!  Happy, happy birthday, kenny Dear!  Happy days'll come to you all year!  If I had a wish then it would be, a happy, happy birthday to you from me! :D:rofl::D   We now return you to your regularly-scheduled, on-topic programming!

Link to comment

What's the deal Nemesis?

You suspend me and restrict my account and when I try to ask you to tell me which forum rule I broke you refuse to answer. That's because you are a coward and know I didn't break any rules, but don't have the moral courage to admit it. 

Since you have now also blocked my ability to message you asking for an explanation, I'm going to publicly air my grievances.

If you had any integrity you would have either told me what rule I broke or lifted my restrictions, but you didn't.

I followed the forum rules. I was civil. I didn't make any personal attacks, like the other posters in that discussion did. Most of my comments were in response to questions I was being asked. I also backed up my claims with the scriptures and statements by Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Yet you allowed these other posters to break forum rules by making personal attacks against me and making disparaging comments about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, while punishing me for my views, not for any rule violation. 

You're acting like some pompous tyrant who rules this forum with a iron fist and answers to no one. 

This is how woke leftists act. Instead of allowing diversity of thought, you accuse people whose ideas you disagree with of being racists and then silence them with your cancel culture tactics. 

Simply pathetic.

You proved my point about the current corrupt state of the Church. The scriptures and teachings of Joseph Smith prove that we have become corrupted. I'm being banished for pointing this out and apparently my arguments are so damning that I have to be silenced so you and most of the others on this forum can keep their heads in a hole and pretend that all is well in Zion (except that maybe we're not quite woke enough for most of you yet).

I know I'll be banned for this, so I guess this is good bye.

Enjoy playing dictator buddy. I'm out.

Link to comment

Somehow You..obey the fist and invader zim didn’t give you a hint on how I rule!  
 

Btw all the above and the messages and emails were in direct violation of the board rules.  
 

• Moderators and honor their decisions: don’t argue their decisions in posts or private messages.

• Violating standard rules of debate such as extreme comparisons and hyperbole

 Derailing threads with irrelevant or unwanted commentary (the thread in question was about women and the priesthood. Not your racism)

Link to comment

Hi Nemesis, is the protocol on discussing politics in the rules (no politics unless directly related to the church) overridden by the red banner up top? Or can we still discuss politics that directly relates to the church?

Many Thanks,

Meadowchik

Link to comment
18 hours ago, Nemesis said:

If y you it can keep it on topic.  Have at it.  The real issue is we have a few characters on the board that can’t contain themselves and ruin it for the rest.  You know who you are!!! Shame on you!!

Some of us are passionate about our politics as well as our faith. I am glad this rule is in place, because I'm one of those with strong opinions and if I didn't keep myself in check because of the rule (and I sometimes break free and comment politically anyway), this would become the Mormon Political Haberdashery and Polemics Board.

Bless you Nemesis (and the other mods) for keeping this board in check.

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Some of us are passionate about our politics as well as our faith. I am glad this rule is in place, because I'm one of those with strong opinions and if I didn't keep myself in check because of the rule (and I sometimes break free and comment politically anyway), this would become the Mormon Political Haberdashery and Polemics Board.

Bless you Nemesis (and the other mods) for keeping this board in check.

As a youngster and later, I'd always hear that politics and religion aren't always best to talk about if people have differing opinions. Now as an older person I see why that's true, and stronger now than ever before.

I voted for a democrat several years ago because I was hoping for stem cell research and the candidate was in full support of it during their run for president. It was during the time my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at only 64 or so, and I was desperate for a cure. Well my sister-in-law found out I voted democrat and nearly lost it, and couldn't believe I voted  that way, almost as if I voted for the devil.

And now with all that's going on, I can't even watch CNN because it's a horrible station and dem leaning, oh dear. ;)

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

And now with all that's going on, I can't even watch CNN because it's a horrible station and dem leaning, oh dear.

I can't watch anything any more. I'm just hunkering down waiting for the Millennium to start. :D 

Link to comment
On 2/12/2021 at 12:33 AM, Nemesis said:

If y you it can keep it on topic.  Have at it.  The real issue is we have a few characters on the board that can’t contain themselves and ruin it for the rest.  You know who you are!!! Shame on you!!

I know it says "*Seriously* no politics, but can we also do *humourously* no politics??

 

:D

 

J/k. Have a great day!

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • 4 months later...

If there is a choice and it isn’t a given with the latest update, my vote is to return to the old rep point versions.  The faces are distracting to me.  I will likely just use the up arrow like I usually do though.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The sad face takes away reputation.  Not sure if that’s a good idea so I’ll keep an eye on it.  But I can remove options from what it looks like.  

Does it just for that post?  Is there anything that indicates total reputation any more?  If we can now downvote, I am not sure I like the idea in general that someone could get a negative rating for more than just one post…though I admit that it might be useful in a few cases to get the point across lots of others are frustrated with them…but think better not to have cumulative reputation if we do have negative. 
 

Is that why we are now missing cumulative?

As always, greatly appreciate your efforts on our behalf.  
 

Added:  I can see a problem with the sad face being a down vote as people may be wanting to show sympathy for someone having a bad time and accidentally downvote. It is not intuitively a negative vote in my mind. 
 

Is there a down arrow that could be used instead? 

Edited by Calm
Link to comment

What's this "Grand Master" thing?

14/14?

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

What's this "Grand Master" thing?

14/14?

14 levels of posts count, it explains it under the recent badges in the achievement section in the profile

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Calm said:

14 levels of posts count, it explains it under the recent badges in the achievement section in the profile

Thanks

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Calm said:

Does it just for that post?  Is there anything that indicates total reputation any more?  If we can now downvote, I am not sure I like the idea in general that someone could get a negative rating for more than just one post…though I admit that it might be useful in a few cases to get the point across lots of others are frustrated with them…but think better not to have cumulative reputation if we do have negative. 
 

Is that why we are now missing cumulative?

As always, greatly appreciate your efforts on our behalf.  
 

Added:  I can see a problem with the sad face being a down vote as people may be wanting to show sympathy for someone having a bad time and accidentally downvote. It is not intuitively a negative vote in my mind. 
 

Is there a down arrow that could be used instead? 

I made a few tweaks for now.  Will see how that works out for now.

Link to comment
21 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

What's this "Grand Master" thing?

14/14?

A lot of forums provide reputation displays for posters. I saw a military-topic forum once that gave military ranks for reputation. The only way for some people to become a General, I guess.

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...