Seriously No Politics ×

Board Guidelines Update - Please Review Before Posting

Ares

15 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I made a few tweaks for now.  Will see how that works out for now.

As far as the Downvote feature is concerned, I am not sure if it's a good idea. I probably won't downvote very many posts, just for the sake of not being a jerk. If I don't care I won't react, if I don't like it I won't react. Seems best to only react for positives. Except maybe for @Teancum. Grrr.  Just teasin', T!

Can you limit the number of particular reactions that can be given out in a day? To make people less reaction-happy? I know there's a daily limit of 50, in general (experimentally determined, btw), but could you limit downvotes to no more than, say, 5 in a day? It would make them more valuable, by dint of scarcity.

7 hours ago, Stargazer said:

As far as the Downvote feature is concerned, I am not sure if it's a good idea. I probably won't downvote very many posts, just for the sake of not being a jerk. If I don't care I won't react, if I don't like it I won't react. Seems best to only react for positives. Except maybe for @Teancum. Grrr.  Just teasin', T!

Can you limit the number of particular reactions that can be given out in a day? To make people less reaction-happy? I know there's a daily limit of 50, in general (experimentally determined, btw), but could you limit downvotes to no more than, say, 5 in a day? It would make them more valuable, by dint of scarcity.

Not sure I’ll look at settings.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:20 PM, Nemesis said:

Not sure I’ll look at settings.

Getting trouble posting message says that I take too long even on a short post, or that I am not on the internet. Let's see if this one gets thru.

Seriously, HELP!  Error 403 says I am taking too long to post- even with stuff this short- logged onto another device- will see if it gets through

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Seriously, HELP!  Error 403 says I am taking too long to post- even with stuff this short- logged onto another device- will see if it gets through

There was a maintenance break last night, I don’t know for how long….. maybe to try and fix it?

1 hour ago, Calm said:

There was a maintenance break last night, I don’t know for how long….. maybe to try and fix it?

Had problems this AM

• 2 weeks later...

The board has had a few changes and am wondering if one of the changes consists of not letting someone submit a reply in a specific thread. I click on submit and it does nothing or it won't go through just looks like it's thinking. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

The board has had a few changes and am wondering if one of the changes consists of not letting someone submit a reply in a specific thread. I click on submit and it does nothing or it won't go through just looks like it's thinking. 

Another poster is having same problem, see thread in social. 

For me the board has been really slow and timed out a few times on searches and edits. It seems to vary a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Another poster is having same problem, see thread in social. 

For me the board has been really slow and timed out a few times on searches and edits. It seems to vary a lot. 

It's working now, I did see that post in Social and realized it's probably not me, or the mods keeping me from posting. 

And now it it my iPad again…I am getting the distinct feeling something is telling me to find something else to do. 

added:  keeps switching, driving me slightly bonkers…

Edited by Calm

Let’s see if I can sneak this in…both tech got blocked posting, but could give rep points…now I am glued to the board just to see if I can figure out a pattern, lol

Okay, back at 8:55, about 20 minutes blocked I am guessing.

Edited by Calm
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 4:44 PM, Stargazer said:

I think that’s a great suggestion. 

There is a poster who appears to have joined the board for the sole purpose of weaponizing the new down-vote feature. Never posts anything of substance. Early on, he/she made a string of short, gratuitous posts (“I like family history”, that sort of thing). It now seems clear he/she did that just to exceed 25 posts so as to be able to utilize the down-vote feature. 

Limiting the number of down votes to five (or fewer) a day might curtail or mitigate that sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think that’s a great suggestion. 

There is a poster who appears to have joined the board for the sole purpose of weaponizing the new down-vote feature. Never posts anything of substance. Early on, he/she made a string of short, gratuitous posts (“I like family history”, that sort of thing). It now seems clear he/she did that just to exceed 25 posts so as to be able to utilize the down-vote feature. 

Limiting the number of down votes to five (or fewer) a day might curtail or mitigate that sort of thing. 

If that poster (or any poster) thinks that anyone cares about those kinds of downvotes they are deluded.  And the more they use them just to be snarky the less and less seriously anyone else will take them anyway.

So I say, let's continue to give posters enough rope to hang themselves with.  If nothing else, it's entertaining.  :D 

35 minutes ago, bluebell said:

If that poster (or any poster) thinks that anyone cares about those kinds of downvotes they are deluded.  And the more they use them just to be snarky the less and less seriously anyone else will take them anyway.

So I say, let's continue to give posters enough rope to hang themselves with.  If nothing else, it's entertaining.  :D 

I invite them to downvote mine just to see how long it would take for me to move into second place. 

I have only over 68,000. Shouldn’t take too long. 

Edited by Calm
10 minutes ago, Calm said:

I invite them to downvote mine just to see how long it would take for me to move into second place. 

🤪 Thought you could spare ONE for a silly joke, but you know I love ya.

12 minutes ago, Calm said:

Back at you. ;) 

I notice Bluebell nullified mfbukowski’s. downvote on your post with an upvote. I did the same to your downvote on his. 

Maybe I’ll start doing that to the poster I have in mind: nullifying every one of his/her downvotes that I see. 

Or we can just hope he/she gets limited or banned soon. 

8 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I notice Bluebell nullified mfbukowski’s. downvote on your post with an upvote. I did the same to your downvote on his. 

Maybe I’ll start doing that to the poster I have in mind: nullifying every one of his/her downvotes that I see. 

Or we can just hope he/she gets limited or banned soon. 

I forgot limited removes the ability to rep…useful tool.