Seriously No Politics ×

Gay Couples Showing Up In Tv Commercials

JAHS

You are sort of creating a false dilemma here. I would rather the child be adopted by a man and woman couple which could more easily happen than two men adopting the child. With the extremely larger number of man and women couples wanting to adopt, that is more likely what would happen and the child would not have to remain an orphan or in foster care system.

In AZ, it is equally difficult/easy for same sex couples to adopt. I know of an LDS male/male couple with 9 adopted children who are not subjected to familial bigotry on a regular basis. They attend church as a family and function better than most of the opposite sex parent families I've seen. And those are pretty well functioning families.

In AZ, it is equally difficult/easy for same sex couples to adopt. I know of an LDS male/male couple with 9 adopted children who are not subjected to familial bigotry on a regular basis. They attend church as a family and function better than most of the opposite sex parent families I've seen. And those are pretty well functioning families.

Well there's one example. I'm just saying that a child is not going to remain in an orphanage or in foster care if a gay couple doesn't adopt him.

Edited by JAHS

Well there's one example. I'm just saying that a child is not going to remain in an orphanage or in foster care if a gay couple doesn't adopt him.

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the conclusion that "a child is not going to remain in an orphanage or in foster care if a gay couple doesn't adopt them."

Based on a quick Google search, according to the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute's 2012 report:

In the U.S. 397,122 children are living without permanent families in the foster care system. 101,666 of these children are eligible for adoption, but nearly 32% of these children will wait over three years in foster care before being adopted.

Source: AFCARS Report, No. 20

Around the world, there are an estimated 153 million orphans who have lost one parent. There are 17,900,000 orphans who have lost both parents and are living in orphanages or on the streets and lack the care and attention required for healthy development. These children are at risk for disease, malnutrition, and death.

Source: Childinfo (UNICEF, 2011)

According to the U.S. State Department, U.S. families adopted more than 7,000 children in 2012. Last year, Americans adopted the highest number of children from China followed by Ethiopia, Ukraine, Haiti, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Source: United States Department of State (FY 2013 Annual Report)

Children raised in orphanages have an IQ 20 points lower than their peers in foster care, according to a meta-analysis of 75 studies (more than 3,800 children in 19 countries).

Source: IQ of Children Growing Up in Children's Homes A Meta-Analysis on IQ Delays in Orphanages

In 2012, 23,396 youth aged out of the U.S. foster care system without the emotional and financial support necessary to succeed. Nearly 40% had been homeless or couch surfed, nearly 60% of young men had been convicted of a crime, and only 48% were employed. 75% of women and 33% of men receive government benefits to meet basic needs. 50% of all youth who aged out were involved in substance use and 17% of the females were pregnant.

Source: AFCARS Report, No. 20,  Jim Casey Youth

Nearly 25% of youth aging out did not have a high school diploma or GED, and a mere 6% had finished a two- or four-year degree after aging out of foster care. One study shows 70% of all youth in foster care have the desire to attend college.

Source: Midwest Evaluation of the Adult Functioning of Former Foster Youth

As of 2012, more than 58,000 children in the U.S. foster care system were placed in institutions or group homes, not in traditional foster homes.

States spent a mere 1.2-1.3% of available federal funds on parent recruitment and training services even though 22% of children in foster care had adoption as their goal.

Source: Adoption Advocate No. 6: Parent Recruitment and Training: A Crucial, Neglected Child

Three years is the average length of time a child in foster care waits to be adopted. Roughly 55% of these children have had three or more placements. An earlier study found that 33% of children had changed elementary schools five or more times, losing relationships and falling behind educationally.

Adopted children make-up roughly 2% of the total child population under the age of 18, but 11% of all adolescents referred for therapy have been adopted.  Post-adoption services are important to all types of adoption, whether foster care adoption, international adoption, or domestic infant adoption.

Source: Behavior Problems and Mental Health Contacts in Adopted, Foster and Non-adopted Children

According to a 2013 study by the 2013 Williams Institute of Law:

This research brief analyzes multiple data sources to provide a demographic portrait of LGBT parenting in the United States. Main findings from the report include:

•  An estimated 37% of LGBT-identified adults have had a child at some time in their lives.
  •  An estimated 3 million LGBT Americans have had a child and as many as 6 million American children and adults have an LGBT parent.
  •  Among those under age 50 who are living alone or with a spouse or partner, nearly half of LGBT women (48%) are raising a child under age 18 along with a fifth of LGBT men (20%).
  •  
  • More than 125,000 same-sex couple households (19%) include nearly 220,000 children under age 18.
    • More than 111,000 same-sex couples are raising an estimated 170,000 biological, step, or adopted children.
    • Same-sex couples who consider themselves to be spouses are more than twice as likely to be raising biological, step, or adopted children when compared to same-sex couples who say that they are unmarried partners (31% versus 14%, respectively).
  • Same-sex couples raising children are four times more likely than their different-sex counterparts to be raising an adopted child. An estimated 16,000 same-sex couples are raising more than 22,000 adopted children in the US.
  •  
  • Same-sex couples are six times more likely than their different-sex counterparts to be raising foster children. Approximately 2,600 same-sex couples are raising an estimated 3,400 foster children in the US.
  • More than a quarter of same-sex couples raising children (25.6%) include children identified as grandchildren, siblings, or other children who are related or unrelated to one of the spouses or partners. Approximately 32,000 same-sex couple households include more than 48,000 such children.
  •  
  • Same-sex couple parents and their children are more likely to be racial and ethnic minorities.
    • An estimated 39% of individuals in same-sex couples who have children under age 18 in the home are people of color, compared to 36% of those in different-sex couples who are non-White.
    • Among children under 18 living with same-sex couples, half (50%) are non-White compared to 41% of children living with different-sex couples.
  •  Childrearing among same-sex couples is most common in Southern, Mountain West, and Midwest regions of the country. States with the highest proportions of same-sex couples raising biological, adopted or step children include Mississippi (26%), Wyoming (25%), Alaska (23%), Idaho (22%), and Montana (22%).
  •  LGBT individuals and same-sex couples raising children evidence some economic disadvantage.
    • Single LGBT adults raising children are three times more likely than comparable non-LGBT individuals to report household incomes near the poverty threshold.
    • Married or partnered LGBT individuals living in two-adult households with children are twice as likely as comparable non-LGBT individuals to report household incomes near the poverty threshold.
    • The median annual household income of same-sex couples with children under age 18 in the home is lower than comparable different-sex couples ($63,900 versus $74,000, respectively).

Based on the statistics of children in foster care and those waiting to be adopted (at an average duration of 3 years), and the amount of same-sex couples fostering and adopting thousands of otherwise abandoned children, it seems to me that your statement that "a child is not going to remain in an orphanage or in foster care if a gay couple doesn't adopt him" is wrong--especially for non-white kids who aren't newborns.

Edited by Daniel2

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the conclusion that "a child is not going to remain in an orphanage or in foster care if a gay couple doesn't adopt them."

Based on a quick Google search, according to the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute's 2012 report:

According to a 2013 study by the 2013 Williams Institute of Law:

Based on the statistics of children in foster care and those waiting to be adopted (at an average duration of 3 years), and the amount of same-sex couples fostering and adopting thousands of otherwise abandoned children, it seems to me that your statement that "a child is not going to remain in an orphanage or in foster care if a gay couple doesn't adopt him" is wrong--especially for non-white kids who aren't newborns.

Those stats don't really impress me much:

Same-sex couples raising children are four times more likely than their different-sex counterparts to be raising an adopted child. An estimated 16,000 same-sex couples are raising more than 22,000 adopted children in the US.

Same-sex couples are six times more likely than their different-sex counterparts to be raising foster children.

Of course gay couples are more likely to raise adopted or foster children than different sex couples because they can't have biological children on their own. It's the only way they can go. Different sex couples usually only adopt when they physically can't have children on their own.

The other stats say they are raising "biological, step, or adopted children." How many of those are adopted?

Most of the rest of those stats don't apply to the issue of gays adopting children.

And yet you haven't answered how you arrived at the conclusion that you did in your response to me. In fact, CFR that there's proof a child won't stay in the system. If you can prove absolutely no child stays in the system, I'll be impressed.

You never asked me how I arrived at that conclusion.

No one can "prove" that absolutely. I am just saying that if a child is not adopted by a same sex couple there is still a good chance he will still be adopted by a hetero couple. So there's no reason to believe he will never be adopted. Why would a hetero couple not want him more than a same sex couple would not want him?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2015 at 3:27 PM, JAHS said:

Actually most of them are. There is a big demand for babies and toddlers but you get beyond that and the odds of a child being adopted plummet. Teenagers have roughly a snowball's chance in hell.

46 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Actually most of them are. There is a big demand for babies and toddlers but you get beyond that and the odds of a child being adopted plummet. Teenagers have roughly a snowball's chance in hell.

So are you saying that gay couples will adopt these kids when hetero couples won't? Any data to back that up?

4 hours ago, JAHS said:

So are you saying that gay couples will adopt these kids when hetero couples won't? Any data to back that up?

No, I am not saying that. I a, saying that the idea that hetero couples are adopting every child who needs a family is false. I have no idea if same sex couples will fill the gap or just be like most couples and focus on adopting only the young.

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

No, I am not saying that. I a, saying that the idea that hetero couples are adopting every child who needs a family is false. I have no idea if same sex couples will fill the gap or just be like most couples and focus on adopting only the young.

OK, but I guess the point I was making is that if gay couples are not allowed to adopt it's not likely going to make any difference for the chance of a child being adopted. 

• 3 weeks later...