Lightening Things Up

My younger brother no longer believes, but that doesn't stop him from seizing the perfect opportunity. He shared this with the family recently.

A guy in my department is LDS. I've won the last two "fun competitions" we had, Paper Football and Cornhole. We are having another one this week. One guy that I manage said, "Well, if you don't win we'll make sure one of us wins." I replied, "Well, whether by mine own victory or by the victory of one of my analysts it is the same." The LDS dude just lost it, could barely breath he was laughing so hard. The guy said, "What's so funny?" I just said, "You are just going to have to let us enjoy this moment. Might take too long to explain and even if we do I'm not sure you'll get it."

guess you just had to be there . .

Back when we lived in Utah, I was in a meeting with some out-of-state clients. The guy in charge of the meeting was named "Helaman." When we had everyone introduce themselves, one of the clients asked, "Helaman, what kind of name is that? Is it Swedish?" 

All the Mormons in the room laughed pretty hard. 

On my mission we went to an embassy party. There was a photo taken for the local newspaper. They asked our names for the photo and we said Elder X and Elder Y. The reporter said, " How interesting, you both have the same first name !"

I'm guessing that was not the first or last time something like that has happened.

I'm guessing that was not the first or last time something like that has happened.

That happened to me a number of times on my mission. My wife's maiden name is Scottish, and Bolivians couldn't figure out how to pronounce it. When she told one family how to pronounce it, they thought she said, "Picole," which is Bolivian Spanish for "popsicle." From that time forward, she was Hermana Picole (Sister Popsicle).

My name often was shortened to Gordo.  I'll assert my Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination on the question of whether that's an apt description of me in any particular language. :D:rofl::D

Humor lightening things up. Yes, and I would also say that humor lights up things at least a little bit too. If it's good humor and if you also have a good sense of humor, that is.

I sometimes think it would do a lot of good to talk more about humor and teach people how they can develop a good or better sense of humor to discern more of the good things in life.

But then I think that maybe things like that can't really be taught, or at least not very well, just like it is kinda hard to teach people to develop a better sense of things that are true and good.

And I think having a good sense of humor is almost if not as important as a sense of the truth and what is good and godly. Seems a shame to me when some people just do not get it sometimes.

Edited by Ahab

I thought it was funny. Maybe you just have to be an apostate to find that funny.

You don't ... or, on the other hand, maybe that means I'm more of an apostate than I'd like to admit. :unsure::huh::unsure:

Top 10 Ways to Get a High Councilor to End His Talk.

10.  Look at your watch.  Shake it.  Hold it up to your ear.
9.  Yawn.  Stretch.  Curl up on the bench and take a nap.
8.  Start snoring.
7.  Say "Amen" loudly after every sentence.
6.  Throw your kids' cheerios up in to the air and try and catch them in your mouth.
5.  Throw your kids' cheerios at the high councilor.
4.  Lead your row in a "Chinese" fire-drill.
3.  Pull the fire alarm and lead the entire congregation in a real fire drill.
2.  Raise your hand and object.
1.  Take out your hymnbook and start singing the closing song.

http://www.mormonzone.com/jokes.aspx?joke=0&cat=0

My name often was shortened to Gordo.  I'll assert my Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination on the question of whether that's an apt description of me in any particular language. :D:rofl::D

Mine was flaco, although I think if I returned it would be changed to gordo.

I have cousins who are Elders. Made life confusing on their missions

In my foreign mission, the word on our name tags that was supposed to mean "Elder" instead literally translated to "Oldest". Because of that, we got quite a number of comments from middle-aged people wondering how baby-faced teenagers could have the audacity to wear badges asserting such a thing. 

To add to the OP, perhaps some needed a 14th article of faith saying name badges were accurate insomuch as they were translated correctly.  :acute:

Edited by hagoth7

We had an Elder on my mission with the last Name of Elder. "Elder Elder"

People couldn't figure out why some one with that last name would name their kid by the first name of Elder.

People couldn't pronounce my last name so the called me Elder Michael.

Edited by Zakuska

Ok.  Confession time.  I got along *really* well with most of my missionary companions but one in particular was tough.  He didn't like me and I certainly didn't like him.  We managed to go a whole week once without speaking directly to each other.  

Anyway, being the classless jerk that I am, when I walked into the living room one morning to find my companion shining my shoes I walked right up, grabbed the shoes out of his hand and said: "Knock it off Elder!  This isn't some damned Church seminary video!"

I think we were both glad when transfer time came.

In my foreign mission, the word on our name tags that was supposed to mean "Elder" instead literally translated to "Oldest". Because of that, we got quite a number of comments from middle-aged people wondering how baby-faced teenagers could have the audacity to wear badges asserting such a thing. 

To add to the OP, perhaps some needed a 14th article of faith saying name badges were accurate insomuch as they were translated correctly.  :acute:

English speaking non-LDS often wonder the same thing.