Just in time for the World Conference on Families in SLC, we saw Lois M. Collins, “States with higher marriage rates are economically healthier,” Deseret News, Oct 22, 2015 (updated Oct 27), online at http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865639621/Marriage-rates-a-key-factor-in-a-states-economic-prosperity-new-report-says.html  , which points out that 

Utah has the highest percentage of parents with children under 18 who are married, according to the report's data, taken from the 2013 Current Population Survey. New Hampshire, Minnesota, North Dakota and Idaho round out the top five. At the other end of the spectrum, South Carolina edges out Mississippi, Arkansas, Delaware and Louisiana for the lowest percentage of married parents of minor children.

This fact does wonders for the economy, and greatly reduces child poverty.  Once again, high moral and ethical principles are a good thing for the individual and for society.
Utah has the highest percentage of parents with children under 18 who are married ...

Gee, I hope not! :unknw::huh::unknw:

:D:rofl::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIP6EwqMEoE

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • 3 weeks later...

Just in time for the World Conference on Families in SLC, we saw Lois M. Collins, “States with higher marriage rates are economically healthier,” Deseret News, Oct 22, 2015 (updated Oct 27), online at http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865639621/Marriage-rates-a-key-factor-in-a-states-economic-prosperity-new-report-says.html  , which points out that 

Utah has the highest percentage of parents with children under 18 who are married, according to the report's data, taken from the 2013 Current Population Survey. New Hampshire, Minnesota, North Dakota and Idaho round out the top five. At the other end of the spectrum, South Carolina edges out Mississippi, Arkansas, Delaware and Louisiana for the lowest percentage of married parents of minor children.

This fact does wonders for the economy, and greatly reduces child poverty.  Once again, high moral and ethical principles are a good thing for the individual and for society.

According to his Herald article (not sure how accurate it is though), Utah has the highest rate

of mental illness in the United States.

Gail

According to his Herald article (not sure how accurate it is though), Utah has the highest rate

of mental illness in the United States.

Gail

Yes, and the correlation is primarily with mountainous states, but no one knows why they should have higher rates of mental illness.  One suggestion is that a more family-oriented state like Utah means that mental illness gets reported and taken care of, while it may go unrecognized in less family-oriented areas of the nation.  http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/utah-has-highest-rate-of-mental-illness-in-us/article_053ef820-584d-5930-953e-c75548be7c5c.html .

Another observation which one might make is that more tightly knit communities show less mental illness, i.e., the Hutterite Brethren seem less likely to have any mental breakdowns due to the communal support which everyone receives.

KSL also reported on this: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=28934395

States with Highest Rate of Mental Illness

1. Utah (22.4 percent)
  2. Oklahoma (21.9 percent)
  3. West Virginia (21.4 percent
  4. Oregon (20.9 percent)
  5. Washington (20.8 percent)

States with Lowest Rate of Mental Illness

1. New Jersey (14.7 percent)
  2. Illinois (15.9 percent)
  3. Nevada (16.1 percent)
  4. Connecticut (16.7 percent)
  5. North Carolina (16.8 percent)

Edited by sunstoned

well then I guess gay marriage will help improve the economy too (just because everything thread needs to be about gay marriage)

As the leaders of the Church now have made clear, gay marriage is a sin and grounds for excommunication. This being the case, gay marriage can only contribute to the downfall of a society because the Lord has repeatedly said that he will not allow the people to prosper in wickedness.

4 For the Lord God hath said that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence. (2 Nephi 4)

It is a dangerous thing to call evil good and good evil. Even so, it is also a sign of a society that's ripening in iniquity.

As the leaders of the Church now have made clear, gay marriage is a sin and grounds for excommunication. This being the case, gay marriage can only contribute to the downfall of a society because the Lord has repeatedly said that he will not allow the people to prosper in wickedness.

4 For the Lord God hath said that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence. (2 Nephi 4)

It is a dangerous thing to call evil good and good evil. Even so, it is also a sign of a society that's ripening in iniquity.

my comment was made tongue in cheek but thank you for your thoughts.

Kids drive you crazy.

You oughtta know!  You have enough of 'em, don'tcha?! :crazy:

(Sorry; :huh::unknw:  Couldn't resist! ;):D)

That is why my second home is the state mental hospital.  8P  :crazy:

:D:rofl::D