Seriously No Politics ×

Which Came First; Animals Or Adam?

JAHS

Which was the correct order of creation of animals, and Adam and Eve?

The Genesis creation account clearly has the animals being created first, then Adam, then Eve.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (Gen 1: 25-27)

21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.(Gen 2: 21-22)

Now the account from Abraham:

24 And the Gods prepared the earth to bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle and creeping things, and beasts of the earth after their kind; and it was so, as they had said.

25 And the Gods organized the earth to bring forth the beasts after their kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after its kind; and the Gods saw they would obey.

26 And the Gods took counsel among themselves and said: Let us go down and form man in our image, after our likeness; and we will give them dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.(Abr 4: 24-26)

15 And the Gods caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam; and he slept, and they took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in the stead thereof;

16 And of the rib which the Gods had taken from man, formed they a woman, and brought her unto the man. (Abr 5: 15-16)

So far so good. Abraham seems to agree with Genesis. However the Moses account has man being created first before animals:

5. ...and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;(Moses 3: 5)

7 And I, the Lord God, formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul, the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also; nevertheless, all things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word. (Moses 3: 7)

Later in the chapter, after creating man, it says:

19. And out of the ground I, the Lord God, formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and commanded that they should come unto Adam, to see what he would call them; and they were also living souls; for I, God, breathed into them the breath of life, and commanded that whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that should be the name thereof. (Moses 3: 19)

So there was no flesh on the earth, water, or air before man was made. This seems to conflict with both the Genesis and Abraham accounts.

The Abraham account could agree with Moses if we consider that in the Abraham account the words "prepared" and "organized" are used. 

"Gods prepared the earth to bring forth the living creature"

"organized the earth to bring forth the beasts"

The Abraham account never directly states that the animals were created before man; only that the world was "prepared" for their creation. So the Moses account could be true and agree with Abraham when it says that Adam was the first flesh upon the earth, even before the animals. 

However it still conflicts with the Genesis account.

Another conflict:

In the Abraham account, the creation of Eve is mentioned before the creation of the animals, 

16 And of the rib which the Gods had taken from man, formed they a woman, and brought her unto the man.

20 And out of the ground the Gods formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air, and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them;  (Abr 5: 16, 20)

but in the Moses account, animals are created before Eve.

19 And out of the ground I, the Lord God, formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and commanded that they should come unto Adam, to see what he would call them; 

21 And I, the Lord God, caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam; and he slept, and I took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh in the stead thereof;

22 And the rib which I, the Lord God, had taken from man, made I a woman, and brought her unto the man. (Moses 3: 19-22)

So in the Moses account Eve has no say in what names to give the animals. ;-)

The only way I see to resolve some of these conflicts is to consider that either the Genesis account is incorrect or perhaps just because things are mentioned in a certain sequence does not have to mean that they were created according to that sequence or that some of the scriptures are refering to spiritual creation rather than physical.

This is a scientific question rather than a religious one, and the answer is animals. 

As far as the narrative goes, there are several creation narratives with some inconsistencies, as you observed. They don't line up perfectly with each other. The preferred order in church instruction seems to be animals -> Adam -> Eve

Edited by Gray

It is what you get when you combine different accounts of the same story into one.

How many of each type of animal were brought on the ark? Two as Gen 6:19 states or 9 pairs of each as Gen 7:2&3 states?

The book(s) was written thousands of years ago. Why is there any expectation that it is totally internally consistent?

Which was the correct order of creation of animals, and Adam and Eve?

I think the operative word in your observation is “order,” which in the divine sense is: Elohim instructing Jehovah, and Jehovah instructing Michael (and their female partners; the “true order” requires male and female complementing each other in the eternal round) and then Michael instructing all life forms and elements they steward and lord over. While there is an order of instruction and direction, ultimately the stewardship is shared ("joint heirs", "one."). This divine order is expressed in the various physical stages of this world as Father, Son, Adam and Eve, their posterity and their stewardship over the earth and all its life and element (D&C 59:16-24).

The “worlds without number” serve as resources for the organization of new worlds (I think Brigham Young alluded a bit to this). New worlds arise out of the pattern (spiritual creation) and elements (physical creation) existing worlds provide, but the divine order is always followed, first spiritually and then physically. Note “spiritual” can describe the immortal physical state (D& 88:27; Alma 11:45; 1 Corinthians 15:44) as well as the immortal (pre-mortal) spirit state. This is how the first is last and the last is first.

So in a sense, none of them “materialized” first in either the spirit or the flesh (either spiritually or physically), but in the divine order Adam comes before his stewardship. The scriptural accounts are all correct from their own perspective and point of reference.

I think the operative word in your observation is “order,” which in the divine sense is: Elohim instructing Jehovah, and Jehovah instructing Michael (and their female partners; the “true order” requires male and female complementing each other in the eternal round) and then Michael instructing all life forms and elements they steward and lord over. While there is an order of instruction and direction, ultimately the stewardship is shared ("joint heirs", "one."). This divine order is expressed in the various physical stages of this world as Father, Son, Adam and Eve, their posterity and their stewardship over the earth and all its life and element (D&C 59:16-24).

The “worlds without number” serve as resources for the organization of new worlds (I think Brigham Young alluded a bit to this). New worlds arise out of the pattern (spiritual creation) and elements (physical creation) existing worlds provide, but the divine order is always followed, first spiritually and then physically. Note “spiritual” can describe the immortal physical state (D& 88:27; Alma 11:45; 1 Corinthians 15:44) as well as the immortal (pre-mortal) spirit state. This is how the first is last and the last is first.

So in a sense, none of them “materialized” first in either the spirit or the flesh (either spiritually or physically), but in the divine order Adam comes before his stewardship. The scriptural accounts are all correct from their own perspective and point of reference.

"The scriptural accounts are all correct from their own perspective and point of reference."

That may be so I just don't see why the accounts could not be a little more harmonious in the way they are presented in the scriptures. 

"The religion of Jesus Christ, of angels, of Brigham, and of all good men is to take a care of and improve and adorn the earth as Adam did. When he planted the garden, he planted it with seeds he brought with him; and he also brought the animals from the earth he lived upon, where his Father dwelt."

- Heber C. Kimball

"Though we have it in history that our father Adam was made of the dust of this earth, and that he knew nothing about his God previous to being made here, yet it is not so; and when we learn the truth we shall see and understand that he helped to make this world, and was the chief manager in that operation.

He was the person who brought the animals and the seeds from other planets to this world, and brought a wife with him and stayed here. You may read and believe what you please as to what is found written in the Bible. Adam was made from the dust of an earth, but not from the dust of this earth. He was made as you and I are made, and no person was ever made upon any other principle.

Do you not suppose that he was acquainted with his associates, who came and helped to make this earth? Yes, they were just as familiar with each other as we are with our children and parents." - Brigham Young

"When you tell me that father Adam was made as we make adobies from the earth, you tell me what I deem an idle tale. When you tell me that the beasts of the field were produced in that manner, you are speaking idle worlds devoid of meaning. There is no such thing in all the eternities where the Gods dwell" - Brigham Young

"He (Adam) is the father of the human family, and presides over the spirits of all men, and all that have had the keys must stand before him in this grand council. This may take place before some of us leave this stage of action. The Son of Man stands before him, and there is given him glory and dominion. Adam delivers up his stewardship to Christ, that which was delivered to him as holding the keys of the universe, but retains his standing as head of the human family. "The spirit of man is not a created being; it existed from eternity, and will exist to eternity. Anything created cannot be eternal; and earth, water, etc., had their existence in an elementary state, from eternity. Our Savior speaks of children and says, Their angels always stand before my Father. The Father called all spirits before Him at the creation of man, and organized them. He (Adam) is the head, and was told to multiply."  Joseph Smith

"The religion of Jesus Christ, of angels, of Brigham, and of all good men is to take a care of and improve and adorn the earth as Adam did. When he planted the garden, he planted it with seeds he brought with him; and he also brought the animals from the earth he lived upon, where his Father dwelt."

- Heber C. Kimball

"Though we have it in history that our father Adam was made of the dust of this earth, and that he knew nothing about his God previous to being made here, yet it is not so; and when we learn the truth we shall see and understand that he helped to make this world, and was the chief manager in that operation.

He was the person who brought the animals and the seeds from other planets to this world, and brought a wife with him and stayed here. You may read and believe what you please as to what is found written in the Bible. Adam was made from the dust of an earth, but not from the dust of this earth. He was made as you and I are made, and no person was ever made upon any other principle.

Do you not suppose that he was acquainted with his associates, who came and helped to make this earth? Yes, they were just as familiar with each other as we are with our children and parents." - Brigham Young

"When you tell me that father Adam was made as we make adobies from the earth, you tell me what I deem an idle tale. When you tell me that the beasts of the field were produced in that manner, you are speaking idle worlds devoid of meaning. There is no such thing in all the eternities where the Gods dwell" - Brigham Young

"He (Adam) is the father of the human family, and presides over the spirits of all men, and all that have had the keys must stand before him in this grand council. This may take place before some of us leave this stage of action. The Son of Man stands before him, and there is given him glory and dominion. Adam delivers up his stewardship to Christ, that which was delivered to him as holding the keys of the universe, but retains his standing as head of the human family. "The spirit of man is not a created being; it existed from eternity, and will exist to eternity. Anything created cannot be eternal; and earth, water, etc., had their existence in an elementary state, from eternity. Our Savior speaks of children and says, Their angels always stand before my Father. The Father called all spirits before Him at the creation of man, and organized them. He (Adam) is the head, and was told to multiply."  Joseph Smith

That's right. Confuse things even more by quoting our past prophets   <_< 

Actually these are more interesting than the scriptures.  

Did they create the other planets in our solar system at the same time and what are the point of the other planets? I don't see a point to Jupiter besides it's beauty.

You just answered your own question.  Yes they created the entire universe. And it gives scientists something to do. 

The last thing matter unorganized needs is people. A story of the creation of an earth (one of worlds without number) is quite different than a story about a garden and one given the role of gardner. And one thing that defines a garden is a gardner.

One thing a literary critic needs to do is recognize the genre in which a text belongs. There is a great deal of difference, for instance between a scientific history, and a symbolic temple drama. Nibley's last essay on the topic was titled "Abraham's Temple Drama." And Barker has pointed out that the erection of the Tabernacle and the creation in Genesis 1 are different ways of telling the same ritual drama. The Tabernacle is a scale model of the world created in Genesis. So erecting the mobile tabernacle is a ritual enactment of the creation of the world. We're dealing with symbolic representation and interpretations, not competing histories.

All of this becomes much easier to deal with, as Nibley pointed out decades ago, if you stop thinking in terms of absolutes, but of relativity and of different perspectives.

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Bethel Park, PA

That's right. Confuse things even more by quoting our past prophets   <_<

Actually these are more interesting than the scriptures.  

Well, you asked which was created first.  The answer is Adam came and brought the animals and seeds with him.  Neither were created first.

Well, you asked which was created first.  The answer is Adam came and brought the animals and seeds with him.  Neither were created first.

The problem is when I read a Moses scripture like the following:

"And out of the ground I, the Lord God, formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and commanded that they should come unto Adam, to see what he would call them;"

I don't see how a prophet who believes in this scripture and others, which are talking about the creation of this planet,  would instead decide that Adam brought the animals with him from another planet. Of course I am not really certain of the accuracy of some of those quotes that seem to contradict the scriptures.

Did they create the other planets in our solar system at the same time and what are the point of the other planets? I don't see a point to Jupiter besides it's beauty.

Jupiter is the only thing standing between the earth and getting smashed by a big ball of ice and rock!

http://earthsky.org/space/is-it-true-that-jupiter-protects-earth

However it may at some future date cause us to be hit by a big rock. Bring it on Wormwood!

19. And out of the ground I, the Lord God, formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and commanded that they should come unto Adam, to see what he would call them; and they were also living souls; for I, God, breathed into them the breath of life, and commanded that whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that should be the name thereof. (Moses 3: 19)

I take the creation accounts to be very brief outlines of what happened with the main point being God created the earth in stages and the prime creation being man.  How literal is every point I don't know.  How long would it have taken for Adam to name every single species of animal, bird, and everything else that has lived on the earth?  Did they line up in a 25 mile line going patiently to Adam to see what he named them and for what purpose?  The names we associate with animals today are more modern.  They did not come from Adam.

"The scriptural accounts are all correct from their own perspective and point of reference."

That may be so I just don't see why the accounts could not be a little more harmonious in the way they are presented in the scriptures. 

I think that is because harmony is only achieved when there are different notes, flavors, etc. offering some variation with which to produce a fuller picture. Otherwise all we have is a one-dimensional impression that does not adequately reflect reality. I think multiple levels of meaning also comes into play, so they may be more harmonious than the initial impression someone might receive.

"He was the person who brought the animals and the seeds from other planets to this world, and brought a wife with him and stayed here."

So nothing was created. Adam brought his wife and the animals from a previous world and Brigham seems incredulous at the suggestion they were created on this world. We're still left to wonder where the first animals, first humans, first gods come from. Or is anyone aware of a good Brigham quote for that?