Seriously No Politics ×

Good Mac N Cheese Recepies.

poptart

My mother in law had a good one; rather than a cream sauce it was a baked custard with noodles, cheese, ham or bacon and whatever else you wanted in it.

I don't generally like mac and cheese, but I liked that version.

Edited by Calm

Well? We're waiting! :)

I think she meant "normal people's tomorrow," Stargazer, not the stroke of midnight.  Geez, don't you people ever sleep?! :lazy: 

;):D

I think she meant "normal people's tomorrow," Stargazer, not the stroke of midnight.  Geez, don't you people ever sleep?! :lazy: 

;):D

Oh, all right, but it's still not there.

You'll note that my sleep schedule is completely randomized. It would be funny if it weren't funny at all. My wife finally got eight hours of sleep in one stretch today. Medication adjustment is helping a lot.

Well? We're waiting! :)

Sorry!  Completely forgot!

I triple this recipe in order to have enough to feed my family of 6 (I have a bottomless pit for a 13 year old son).  Here it is in it's original form though.

3/4 cup whole milk

1/4 cup chicken stock

1/2 tsp salt

3 tbsp butter

1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour

1/4 cup grated paremsan

1/4 cup cheddar

4 cups cooked macaroni pasta

1-Over medium heat in a saucepan, heat the milk with the stock and salt, stirring throughout.  continue to heat the milk mixture over medium heat, and then reduce to low heat once the milk has begun to froth or simmer.

2-Next, in a second saucepan, heat the butter until melted.  Stir in the flour.  Reduce the heat to low and stir until well incorporated.  Remove from heat when it is a very pale tan color (a blonde roux).

3-Once the roux has thickened, slowly stir into the milk mixture to blend.  Continue to stir over low heat until well incorporated.  Finally, remove from the heat and whisk in the cheeses.  Once mixed, add the pasta, again stir well, and serve.

Rather than shells or macaroni, use penne. For a full baking plate use 12 oz of lobster, 8 oz of bacon, Oaxaca cheese, feta cheese. Layer dried bread crumbs and potato skins with a parmesan and mozzarella melt. Red potato skin gives best color. Garnish with green onion, diced tomato and cilantro.

Edited by Valentinus

We just dug out the recipe for the family gettogether...

1-2 cups cooked macaroni

4 eggs, mixed

Lots of cheese

Ham, bacon, hot dogs or whatever you want. (cut up obviously, whatever size you like...she did small dicing...went further with her large family, I like large bites but put in more)

Minced onions

Salt and pepper

Put in a casserole dish and then add milk till right consistency (which threw my husband so I told him to add milk until everything was covered and made sure he stirred it which is implied in "consistency", I think it was denser than hers, but it tasted fine...but if you know what a custard should be like, that is the thickness you want for the liquids).

Bake at 350.

I think she figured people would know enough about cooking and their personal tastes to figure out what measurements they wanted. How long it takes to cook depends on size of pan so let's say instead till set like a custard (stick in knife, it comes out clean...or at least not coated in egg liquid or you can shake the pan and see if there is any unset liquid in the center if the dish isn't that deep). She didn't put in a pan of water for a smoother consistency, all the chewy stuff covers any curdling...but if you are a perfectionist you can do that.

If too nervous to experiment, think of it as a quiche without a crust and macaroni instead and whatever you want to add to the filling and then follow your favourite quiche recipe for eggs to milk ratio, how much cheese and onion and salt, pepper and other spices, cooking time, etc. Just remember ham and other salted meats mean less salt.

Edited by Calm

We just dug out the recipe for the family gettogether...

1-2 cups cooked macaroni

4 eggs, mixed

Lots of cheese

Ham, bacon, hot dogs or whatever you want. (cut up obviously, whatever size you like...she did small dicing...went further with her large family, I like large bites but put in more)

Minced onions

Salt and pepper

Put in a casserole dish and then add milk till right consistency (which threw my husband so I told him to add milk until everything was covered and made sure he stirred it which is implied in "consistency", I think it was denser than hers, but it tasted fine...but if you know what a custard should be like, that is the thickness you want for the liquids).

Bake at 350.

I think she figured people would know enough about cooking and their personal tastes to figure out what measurements they wanted. How long it takes to cook depends on size of pan so let's say instead till set like a custard (stick in knife, it comes out clean...or at least not coated in egg liquid or you can shake the pan and see if there is any unset liquid in the center if the dish isn't that deep). She didn't put in a pan of water for a smoother consistency, all the chewy stuff covers any curdling...but if you are a perfectionist you can do that.

If too nervous to experiment, think of it as a quiche without a crust and macaroni instead and whatever you want to add to the filling and then follow your favourite quiche recipe for eggs to milk ratio, how much cheese and onion and salt, pepper and other spices, cooking time, etc. Just remember ham and other salted meats mean less salt.

I have a recipe like this that you make in the crock pot.  It also has a quiche kind of feel to it because of the eggs.  If someone likes a less creamy mac and cheese (I like both kinds) these types are good ones.

A cup or 2 of grated cheese

16 oz partially cooked macaroni (cooked for three minutes in boiling water, then drained)

1 egg

1 can evaporated milk

1 c. milk

salt and pepper to taste

Mix together the egg and both milks and salt and pepper, set aside.  Put part of the macaroni in bottom of crock pot and cover with a layer of cheese.  Alternate macaroni and cheese layers so final layer of cheese will be on top but do not put cheese on top yet.  Pour egg mixture over macaroni/cheese layers and then add final layer of cheese.  Cook on low for 3 hours.

Rather than shells or macaroni, use penne. For a full baking plate use 12 oz of lobster, 8 oz of bacon, Oaxaca cheese, feta cheese. Layer dried bread crumbs and potato skins with a parmesan and mozzarella melt. Red potato skin gives best color. Garnish with green onion, diced tomato and cilantro.

Sounds pretty good.

And REALLY!?! You had to post that in your sig line? I'm not ashamed but talk about taking out ad space.

Sounds pretty good.

And REALLY!?! You had to post that in your sig line? I'm not ashamed but talk about taking out ad space.

Didn't even notice until you pointed it out...

GG

There are so many good recipes!  Some will work when I feel like slow cooking, one has very few ingredients, one is perfect to use over a small amount of cooked Penne leftover from a recipe found on FB that is below.  I used chicken broth instead of wine, only because it wasn't available.  So thank you to those that shared the recipes, I have a son in law that doesn't like anything except pizza and mac-n-cheese, and a daughter in law that is vegetarian.  She even picked out the shrimp in the recipe below.  The recipe below doesn't include cheese so maybe a bit less fattening.  

Make delicious shrimp pasta for dinner.

Ingredients:

3/4 pounds Penne Pasta

1 pound Shrimp
3 Tablespoons Butter...
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil 1 whole Onion (small)
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 cup White Wine or Chicken Broth

1 can Tomato Sauce (8 Oz)
1 cup Heavy Cream
Fresh Parsley, to taste
Fresh Basil - To Taste
Salt To Taste
Pepper To Taste

Directions found on website below:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/penne_a_la_betsy/