Seriously No Politics ×

Byu Football Predictions

Walden

Despite my religious disbelief, I am still a big fan of BYU Cougars football, and was wondering what other fans' predictions are entering the season that kicks off in just 3 days (finally!!!)

I predict the following:

@ Nebraska - Win...even though it is at Lincoln, I like the Cougars chances against a brand new coaching staff

Boise St - Loss...too many Bronco starters returning from a great team last season

@UCLA - Loss (if played in Provo, I might say it's a win, considering UCLA's issues playing in Utah the past few seasons)

@Michigan - Win (new coaching staff at Michigan and not enough talent yet in Ann Arbor)

UCONN - Win (should be an easy one)

ECU - Win, but just barely

Cincy - Win

Wagner - Win (certain)

@SJSU - Win

@Missouri - Loss (close, but the Tigers are underrated {again} and BYU is bound to lose one they should win on paper

Fresno St. - Loss - FSU will be very, very good this season

@Utah St - Win

8 wins with a difficult schedule, especially at the front end...enough to keep Mendenhall in Provo?

Despite my religious disbelief, I am still a big fan of BYU Cougars football, and was wondering what other fans' predictions are entering the season that kicks off in just 3 days (finally!!!)

I predict the following:

@ Nebraska - Win...even though it is at Lincoln, I like the Cougars chances against a brand new coaching staff

Boise St - Loss...too many Bronco starters returning from a great team last season

@UCLA - Loss (if played in Provo, I might say it's a win, considering UCLA's issues playing in Utah the past few seasons)

@Michigan - Win (new coaching staff at Michigan and not enough talent yet in Ann Arbor)

UCONN - Win (should be an easy one)

ECU - Win, but just barely

Cincy - Win

Wagner - Win (certain)

@SJSU - Win

@Missouri - Loss (close, but the Tigers are underrated {again} and BYU is bound to lose one they should win on paper

Fresno St. - Loss - FSU will be very, very good this season

@Utah St - Win

8 wins with a difficult schedule, especially at the front end...enough to keep Mendenhall in Provo?

That's a pretty rational prediction. I think 8 wins against this schedule probably does keep him in Provo; however, I think the Cougs really need 1 or 2 more wins to make any sort of statement with respect to inclusion in a P5 conference--and that is becoming increasingly important. I'm hoping they pick up the win against Fresno State, and I'd love to see them take the Bruins and/or Missouri out. Heck! I want them to win ALL of them! Hope springs eternal. Of course, (and in spite of anything Valentinus says) Garden Girl is the real BYU expert, so I'll go with whatever she predicts. Edited by Okrahomer

Sounds like a good analysis. My only disagreement might be that the new coaching staff at Michigan should be viewed as a negative. Jim Harbaugh has had fast positive impact in his prior two assignments at Stanford and San Francisco.

Sounds like a good analysis. My only disagreement might be that the new coaching staff at Michigan should be viewed as a negative. Jim Harbaugh has had fast positive impact in his prior two assignments at Stanford and San Francisco.

I agree.  Jim Harbaugh could turn the Michigan program around in a hurry; and he has a talent for recruiting--e.g., he convinced BYU's quarterback (Taysom Hill) to pick Stanford over BYU initially.  One gets the impression that his players love him.  We'll get an early peek at how things are progressing when Michigan plays Utah in Salt Lake City this Thursday evening.

That's a pretty rational prediction. I think 8 wins against this schedule probably does keep him in Provo; however, I think the Cougs really need 1 or 2 more wins to make any sort of statement with respect to inclusion in a P5 conference--and that is becoming increasingly important. I'm hoping they pick up the win against Fresno State, and I'd love to see them take the Bruins and/or Missouri out. Heck! I want them to win ALL of them! Hope springs eternal. Of course, (and in spite of anything Valentinus says) Garden Girl is the real BYU expert, so I'll go with whatever she predicts.

Hello Okrahomer...

I don't know how expert I am, but certainly a faithful fan... I wonder if either you or Walden watch Sports Nation on BYU TV, with Spencer Litton and Jerom Jordan... I rarely miss it... I have to chuckle that they started the countdown of days until the opening game with Nebraska... I think about 120 days, and every morning they've announced with fanfare the number of days left until the big game... Now down to about 5 days....

I'll go out on a limb and at least pick the Cougs over Big Red...  in spite of some relatively new key players due to the loss of Jamal Williams... and some senior players like Van Noy... I'm hoping Taysom can pick up and play with the same verve as he did prior to his injury last year. 

At any rate, I'm so looking forward to another season of BYU sports... I have enjoyed Women's Soccer the past season, and the other night they beat Colorado 2 - nil...

Go Cougs!!

from the beach on a cloudy fall morning... here it is September already... We had our first real "high winds" the other day and my yard is littered with pine needles and leaves.  The trees are quickly becoming bare... I get wistful and want to hold back the days... this morning there's a little squirrel who has been running back and forth on the fence outside my window, busily carrying small cones... preparing for winter's chill... 

GG

Hello Okrahomer...

I don't know how expert I am, but certainly a faithful fan... I wonder if either you or Walden watch Sports Nation on BYU TV, with Spencer Litton and Jerom Jordan... I rarely miss it... I have to chuckle that they started the countdown of days until the opening game with Nebraska... I think about 120 days, and every morning they've announced with fanfare the number of days left until the big game... Now down to about 5 days....

I'll go out on a limb and at least pick the Cougs over Big Red...  in spite of some relatively new key players due to the loss of Jamal Williams... and some senior players like Van Noy... I'm hoping Taysom can pick up and play with the same verve as he did prior to his injury last year. 

At any rate, I'm so looking forward to another season of BYU sports... I have enjoyed Women's Soccer the past season, and the other night they beat Colorado 2 - nil...

Go Cougs!!

from the beach on a cloudy fall morning... here it is September already... We had our first real "high winds" the other day and my yard is littered with pine needles and leaves.  The trees are quickly becoming bare... I get wistful and want to hold back the days... this morning there's a little squirrel who has been running back and forth on the fence outside my window, busily carrying small cones... preparing for winter's chill... 

GG

I do get BYUtv, but I haven't seen the Sports Nation show yet.  I'll have to tune in.  This is a fun time of the year--if  you like football. Having grown up in Oklahoma, I'm definitely one who does.  By the way, have you noticed how well BYU Women's Volleyball has started out the year?  Wouldn't it be great if both Women's Soccer and Women's Volleyball made it further this year than last?  Of course in the case Volleyball, that would mean a National Championship. :acute:

I love your description of the changing seasons there in Oregon.

Anything can happen.  Hopefully Taysom does not make another ill considered crazy gallop around the end and needlessly get injured.  As happened last season was out for rest of the year.   Go USU Aggies!

If Taysom gets injured again, all predictions are out the window, as he is the engine that drives that offense

It's not just Tejan, by the way:  it's also Takitaki, and probably a few others.  But then I think Nebraska has a few suspensions of their own, right?

NU does have suspensions of their own.  Neither side is saying who and how long.

There is speculation (only speculation by internet fans) that BYU won't be suspending players.  I find that hard to believe.

If Taysom gets injured again, all predictions are out the window, as he is the engine that drives that offense

Did you watch the game today?  What a heart stopper... But, I'll start with the bad news first for all who might not  have seen the game.  Taysom Hill broke a bone in his foot and is out for the season... it happened when he stepped down wrong starting a run... he'll need surgery and then healing, which will pretty much end his season.

So into Taysom's place in the 4th quarter steps Freshman back-up quarterback, Tanner  Mangrum... fresh off of a two-year mission, joining the team in June.  From the very beginning before Taysom went out it was an exciting game... Neb got the first touchdown... BYU came back and made a touchdown of their own. so, 7 - 7... Neb makes another touchdown... 14 - 7...BYU then answers back.. 14 - 14. 

BYU lost a couple of key players to injury, as did Neb.  Play continued with Taysom throwing an interception that spurred on Neb, who had been showing discouragement... but now changed their momentum...

Finally, in the 4th quarter with minutes left to play, the score was 28 to 27 Nebraska's favor... The new BYU quarterback is under pressure to move the ball to field goal range so BYU can kick a field goal and move ahead to win... play continues and BYU is stopped every down.   Finally there is 1... 1... second left in the game... time for one more play... It's BYU's ball... they are about the 40 yard line... the ball is snapped and Tanner rolls out to pass... he looks for his tallest three receivers who are running for the end zone... finally Tanner throws a Hail Mary pass to Mitch Matthews, who is in the middle of 3 Neb players... But Mitch CATCHES THE BALL AND FALLS INTO THE END ZONE.... TOUCHDOWN BYU!!!!  The BYU crowd goes wild... one Neb coach watching the pass falls to his knees when Mitch catches it and the touchdown is called... the new Head Coach Mike Riley bends over, head down... the game is over... BYU wins!!  In the last second of the game... the last play of the game, with a back-up quarterback just 3 months off his mission... And breaks the 29 year record of Neb season opening wins... and BYU did it... Yea Cougs!!

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

WOW, was that a game!  I am impressed with Mangum; he had the poise and made the difference between winning and losing the game.  Very tough to lose Hill, but the future looks good for BYU. 

I'm encouraged, but fearful of our future games because we've got a schedule that Coach Mendenhall planned with Taysom in mind... this is a lot to put onto Mangum, but we have no choice now...  Wasn't that game something!  Right up to the last second!! 

GG

Did you watch the game today?  What a heart stopper... But, I'll start with the bad news first for all who might not  have seen the game.  Taysom Hill broke a bone in his foot and is out for the season... it happened when he stepped down wrong starting a run... he'll need surgery and then healing, which will pretty much end his season.

So into Taysom's place in the 4th quarter steps Freshman back-up quarterback, Tanner  Mangrum... fresh off of a two-year mission, joining the team in June.  From the very beginning before Taysom went out it was an exciting game... Neb got the first touchdown... BYU came back and made a touchdown of their own. so, 7 - 7... Neb makes another touchdown... 14 - 7...BYU then answers back.. 14 - 14. 

BYU lost a couple of key players to injury, as did Neb.  Play continued with Taysom throwing an interception that spurred on Neb, who had been showing discouragement... but now changed their momentum...

Finally, in the 4th quarter with minutes left to play, the score was 28 to 27 Nebraska's favor... The new BYU quarterback is under pressure to move the ball to field goal range so BYU can kick a field goal and move ahead to win... play continues and BYU is stopped every down.   Finally there is 1... 1... second left in the game... time for one more play... It's BYU's ball... they are about the 40 yard line... the ball is snapped and Tanner rolls out to pass... he looks for his tallest three receivers who are running for the end zone... finally Tanner throws a Hail Mary pass to Mitch Matthews, who is in the middle of 3 Neb players... But Mitch CATCHES THE BALL AND FALLS INTO THE END ZONE.... TOUCHDOWN BYU!!!!  The BYU crowd goes wild... one Neb coach watching the pass falls to his knees when Mitch catches it and the touchdown is called... the new Head Coach Mike Riley bends over, head down... the game is over... BYU wins!!  In the last second of the game... the last play of the game, with a back-up quarterback just 3 months off his mission... And breaks the 29 year record of Neb season opening wins... and BYU did it... Yea Cougs!!

GG

You will love this ..GG..I watched the game and that last second I just couldn't believe it.  My kids laughed at me when I yelled "they won!!  The Church is True"!

It was a good game and happy that all Utah teams won this weekend!

You will love this ..GG..I watched the game and that last second I just couldn't believe it.  My kids laughed at me when I yelled "they won!!  The Church is True"!

It was a good game and happy that all Utah teams won this weekend!

I do love this, Jeanne.... wasn't it something!

GG

I predict the following: Win some; lose some.

I believe history will bear me out, too.

You're very bold, Sir!  Very bold! ;)