Seriously No Politics ×

In the same sense that it is possible to guess that the trees will not all spontaneously turn into Ents tomorrow.

I suppose you and I have very different interpretations of what the word "guess" means.

Probably so but it is my bet that more than one well planned experiment has not turned out as planned.

Just for the record I think everything will turn out okay. :D

Probably so but it is my bet that more than one well planned experiment has not turned out as planned.

Just for the record I think everything will turn out okay. :D

True, but none of them have blown up the Earth yet so either it is just very unlikely that will happen or we are due.

True, but none of them have blown up the Earth yet so either it is just very unlikely that will happen or we are due.

I have yet to find a prophecy that says we will be swallowed by a black hole but then again maybe I should look closer.

Until it is done it is but a guess.  A guess with high probability backed up by scientific data but a guess nevertheless.

What makes you think it is a guess?  It's a theory backed up by mathematics and physics.  Much as nuclear fission was, until demonstrated.

"Guess" suggests complete groundless blue-sky mutterings.  This is not what is happening here.

Hawking Radiation

It hasn't been demonstrated yet, but it's got a strong backing of math and physics.

What makes you think it is a guess?  It's a theory backed up by mathematics and physics.  Much as nuclear fission was, until demonstrated.

"Guess" suggests complete groundless blue-sky mutterings.  This is not what is happening here.

Hawking Radiation

It hasn't been demonstrated yet, but it's got a strong backing of math and physics.

No guess suggests that which is supposed beyond what has been observed.  It may be a pretty confident guess but what is beyond what has been observed is still a guess.

My grandpa's mare that would devour everything in its path (she once ate my baseball cap) had me confused.

It is symbolic.  Celestial horses used to be thought to pull the sun god's chariot so horses are symbols used for the sun...thus a black horse equals a black star or in other words, a black hole.

In more than one tradition, the white horse carries patron saints or the world saviour in the end times (as in HinduismChristianity, and Islam), is associated with the sun or sun chariot (Ossetia) or bursts into existence in a fantastic way, emerging from the sea or a lightning bolt.

Thus a black horse (black hole) would do the opposite and cease its existence in a fantastic way, i.e. sucking everything else out of the universe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_horse_(mythology)

Edited by calmoriah

No guess suggests that which is supposed beyond what has been observed.  It may be a pretty confident guess but what is beyond what has been observed is still a guess.

Not really. No one has ever observed a electron, Just its effects. Right now you are using a device that uses a "guess"(Theory backed up by mathematics and physics) at what an electron is. 

Not really. No one has ever observed a electron, Just its effects. Right now you are using a device that uses a "guess"(Theory backed up by mathematics and physics) at what an electron is. 

While true your post changes what?

While true your post changes what?

That science is much more than just a guess. That many things exist that are not observed in the scientific sense of the word. To put into a LDS frame. We believe that the Lehites actually exist(ed). While there is precious little scientific evidence for them. There is some.