Seriously No Politics ×

Generally, when someone tells me they found out about a huge conspiracy because they have some esoteric/secret/divine knowledge that only they have access to, I tend not to put much faith in that. And anytime it involves reptilian aliens, I'm nonplussed. Now, find me a conspiracy involving the Stonecutters, and I'm in. There's no other way to explain Steve Guttenberg.

What, you are skeptical about the reptilians? How could you doubt?

I was hoping we could get beyond, "LOL, crazy conspiracy nutters." and discuss the implication of CERN.

Does anyone here know enough about physics and stuff to tell us what could happen if CERN experiments were to go badly?

I didn't want this to be about "conspiracies" exactly, but more of a scientific discussion.

Oh, well.

How can you have a "scientific discussion" when you lead with a video predicting the end of the world next month? The OP went right to the fringes, and the responses should have been expected.

How can you have a "scientific discussion" when you lead with a video predicting the end of the world next month? The OP went right to the fringes, and the responses should have been expected.

Jim did no such thing in his presentation. He repeatedly said, "Nothing will probably happen." I believe you need to watch it with a little bit more of a open mind.

No I didn't, thank you.  The only thing I can't accept is the CERN deal.  Why isn't the world putting a stop to this, it's every bit as worrisome as nuclear bombs.

why does CERN bother you? Can you specify?  Did you read the description oF CERN that I posted?  Or maybe you are joking, and I just don't know you well enough as a poster.

Jim did no such thing in his presentation. He repeatedly said, "Nothing will probably happen." I believe you need to watch it with a little bit more of a open mind.

So, he went to all that trouble to tell us that nothing will probably happen next month. Why?

why does CERN bother you? Can you specify?  Did you read the description oF CERN that I posted?  Or maybe you are joking, and I just don't know you well enough as a poster.

What if they actually do create a black hole.  What is the assurance they can control it?

Change to "shows"

CERN Is an accomplishment. We went to the moon, we can smash atoms, we can genetically modify food, we are closer to artificial intelligence, we are on our way to become gods.

you didn't even "show" anything.  What's your point?

I was hoping we could get beyond, "LOL, crazy conspiracy nutters." and discuss the implication of CERN.

Does anyone here know enough about physics and stuff to tell us what could happen if CERN experiments were to go badly?

I didn't want this to be about "conspiracies" exactly, but more of a scientific discussion.

Oh, well.

This is like asking about fossil records and starting out by talking about Godzilla and then complaining that the discussion is not properly scientific.

OK, I was nonplussed by the video in the first place, and then I looked up Mr.Staley, the level-headed teacher. This happened 2 days ago. Coincidence?

St. Charles pastor gets seven years in prison for $3.3 million fraud

Oh look, the conspiracy nuts are the Gadiantions. Classic deflection. Who would have thought?

And once again they show themselves to be incompetents. Big surprise yet again.

Oh, well.

While I'm not a nuclear physicist. The amounts matter involved in CERN very small. There is a lot more matter in the point of a pin than CERN uses.

SEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

What if they actually do create a black hole.  What is the assurance they can control it?

There is a difference between the big star eating black holes out in space and the theoretical quantum black holes CERN might create. The latter would be harmless but fascinating scientifically. If we could create the former (we can't) it would destroy the Earth but to create the supermass needed for a conventional black hole you need (drum roll) a HUGE amount of compacted mass. CERN uses small particles. You would have a better chance of accidentally creating a conventional black hole by banging rocks together.

So, he went to all that trouble to tell us that nothing will probably happen next month. Why?

Again, awareness of possibilities. With so many things converging net month, we should at least be aware. This isn't like Y2K, this time there are signs on the earth and in the heavens to at least take interest in. And the main point: Jesus will be coming, probably not next month, but soon, we need to be prepared spiritually for whatever may come before that.

We are told to watch and be ready, not to just go merrily about our business.

While I'm not a nuclear physicist. The amounts matter involved in CERN very small. There is a lot more matter in the point of a pin than CERN uses.

SEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

Theoretically, the LHC could create a tiny black hole, but at the atomic level, and it would simply collapse almost immediately. You would need a lot more mass (like, say, a planet or star's worth) to cause a black hole that could destroy the earth.

There is a difference between the big star eating black holes out in space and the theoretical quantum black holes CERN might create. The latter would be harmless but fascinating scientifically. If we could create the former (we can't) it would destroy the Earth but to create the supermass needed for a conventional black hole you need (drum roll) a HUGE amount of compacted mass. CERN uses small particles. You would have a better chance of accidentally creating a conventional black hole by banging rocks together.

So you're saying we should stop banging rocks together? ;)

Again, awareness of possibilities. With so many things converging net month, we should at least be aware. This isn't like Y2K, this time there are signs on the earth and in the heavens to at least take interest in. And the main point: Jesus will be coming, probably not next month, but soon, we need to be prepared spiritually for whatever may come before that.

Well, as I said, I wasn't impressed with Mr. Staley before I found out he was convicted of massive fraud a mere 2 days ago. The funny thing about Y2K and every other fearsome event is that they always say that this time it's different because there are signs on the earth and in the heavens and Jesus is coming soon. It's stock-in-trade of such things.

"what if" ?????  what if dan peterson resurrects his dowsing abilities and finds water to rescue california from the drought, thereby causing him to announce himself as the california Savior?  What if the wasatcront falls into the fault line and the US becomes two different countries and Monson declares himself  the western US President?  What if the cicadas crawling out of their shells in my yard develop sentience and rise up to eat my family and hack my bank account, consequently ordering a lifetime supply of flash-frozen crickets and wingless fruitflies and take over my town?  What if. Please.

OK, I was nonplussed by the video in the first place, and then I looked up Mr.Staley, the level-headed teacher. This happened 2 days ago. Coincidence?

St. Charles pastor gets seven years in prison for $3.3 million fraud

I know of Bro. Staley's failings from almost 10 years ago, I have for months. So he is imperfect, so what? He is still a good. level-headed teacher.

If I was judged now, for my failings from 10 years ago, I would be up a creek also.

I believe God will use his confinement to refine him and work a miracle of changed lives in whatever penitentiary he is assigned to. Lives will be changed through his ministry.

Actually we are told to be ready AND go merrily about our business (which should also be our Father's business).

Theoretically, the LHC could create a tiny black hole, but at the atomic level, and it would simply collapse almost immediately. You would need a lot more mass (like, say, a planet or star's worth) to cause a black hole that could destroy the earth.

Mass of a planet wouldn't form a black hole though if you shrunk down the mass of a planet to a small size on the earth it would still probably ruin the earth but yeah, we can't do that either.

I know of Bro. Staley's failings from almost 10 years ago, I have for months. So he is imperfect, so what? He is still a good. level-headed teacher.

If I was judged now, for my failings from 10 years ago, I would be up a creek also.

I believe God will use his confinement to refine him and work a miracle of changed lives in whatever penitentiary he is assigned to. Lives will be changed through his ministry.

He's opining on matters of science with no background in science, and he's trying to tie it into his religious millenarianism. There's nothing level-headed about that. Noting he's a convicted fraud isn't judging an "imperfection." It ought to be a huge red flag to anyone who is inclined to believe his stuff. I'm reminded of the lady who said people always want to talk about Jim Jones's causing mass suicide but never want to talk about the good things he did for his people.

Seriously, if you are willing to excuse someone perpetrating a multimillion-dollar fraud, I don't know what to say. You're obviously a religious seeker, but it might be worth taking a look at the folks you are looking to in your quest.

Edited by jkwilliams