Seriously No Politics ×

I can't live my life based on what some random Internet video tells me may happen on September 23. That would be quite foolish. And of course it's based on fear; otherwise it wouldn't matter.

But you could spend the day in bed so that you could die in bed. :sorry:

No I didn't, thank you.  The only thing I can't accept is the CERN deal.  Why isn't the world putting a stop to this, it's every bit as worrisome as nuclear bombs.

No, it really isn't.

It is a bunch of conspiracy rubbish that allows people to wallow in ignorance while getting the thrill of being part of the secret "no girls allowed" club that knows what is REALLY going on in the world while everyone else is a moron. It is wish-fulfillment. It is normal paranoia combined with egotism. Perfectly understandable but definitely worth fighting.

No, it really isn't.

It is a bunch of conspiracy rubbish that allows people to wallow in ignorance while getting the thrill of being part of the secret "no girls allowed" club that knows what is REALLY going on in the world while everyone else is a moron. It is wish-fulfillment. It is normal paranoia combined with egotism. Perfectly understandable but definitely worth fighting.

Are you talking about the illuminati?  Because it does seem they are all connected. 

Are you talking about the illuminati?  Because it does seem they are all connected.

The Illuminati is a myth, a kind of God stand-in for atheists. It is both scary and comforting. Scary because or their power but comforting because some intelligent group of humans out there have a plan and are capable of methodically and successfully carrying it out. It is also all bunk. Humans are not that smart and suck at keeping conspiracies secret.

No I didn't, thank you.  The only thing I can't accept is the CERN deal.  Why isn't the world putting a stop to this, it's every bit as worrisome as nuclear bombs.

UHH, No. We're many years from an applicable technology developing from the basic science done at CERN. It's like saying we do away with researching the Bernoulli Effect because the air plane was used to drop the first Atomic Bombs. 

No, it really isn't.

Indeed. Once when I lived in Texas, this guy found out I had lived in Utah and asked rather excitedly, "Did you know about the tunnels under Salt Lake City?" I said, yes, I'd been in them. His eyes went wide, and then he said, "You must have seen them. The reptilians who live there." I'd never heard such nonsense in my life, so I asked him what the heck he was talking about. He explained that "everyone knows" that there are reptilian aliens living in underground tunnels in Salt Lake and they control the LDS church and a lot of what goes on in the world. I seriously thought he was joking, and I started laughing. He got a bit angry. Anyway, to him, this all made perfect sense, even though it was ludicrous. 

Why should anyone be afraid of CERN? That's like being afraid of NASA. (Oh, I forgot, there are people who think NASA is part of the conspiracy.)

Indeed. Once when I lived in Texas, this guy found out I had lived in Utah and asked rather excitedly, "Did you know about the tunnels under Salt Lake City?" I said, yes, I'd been in them. His eyes went wide, and then he said, "You must have seen them. The reptilians who live there." I'd never heard such nonsense in my life, so I asked him what the heck he was talking about. He explained that "everyone knows" that there are reptilian aliens living in underground tunnels in Salt Lake and they control the LDS church and a lot of what goes on in the world. I seriously thought he was joking, and I started laughing. He got a bit angry. Anyway, to him, this all made perfect sense, even though it was ludicrous. 

Why should anyone be afraid of CERN? That's like being afraid of NASA. (Oh, I forgot, there are people who think NASA is part of the conspiracy.)

My favorite conspiracy nut:

"Well it's a well-known fact, sonny-jim, that there's a secret society of the 5 wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentaverate, who run everything in the world including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually in a secret country mansion in Colorado known as The Meadows. (So who's in this Pentaverate?) The Queen, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, the Vatican...and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up! Ooh I hated the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face! Ohh you're gonna buy my chicken! Ooh! (Dad, how can you hate the Colonel?) Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smart ***!"

Relax.  There's nothing you can do about it and worrying is just going to cause you more harmful effects than the extremely unlikely outcomes from anything you are reading about.

I'm often amazed at what intelligent people will swallow. I grew up with my parents heavily involved in the John Birch Society, and as an adult look very askance at "conspiracy theories".  I have a well-educated son who believes there was a 9/11 conspiracy, and still thinks there are Illuminati seeking to destroy all world governments. While I believe what the BoM says about "secret combinations" in these days, and what the Word of Wisdom says about "conspiring men", I think we don't need to look very far for these "secret combinations." The board of most mega-corporations, the food "industry", the banking system, drug lords and gangs--all these are definitely secret, and have at their core the idea of taking from others and increasing power. But I am equally convinced that these guys are not talking to each other, and that Satan is not able to unify anyone, he can only increase divisiveness. I'm not worried about CERN or a world-wide effort to create a "one-world government." 

I hope September 23 is not "THE DAY" because I have plans to go to Park City for my birthday on the 25th! I've already booked the hotel...

Well, this has turned out exactly how I hoped it wouldn't. Oh, well.

"Gadianton Robbers? What Gadianton Robbers?"

It baffles me that people who believe in the Book of Mormon so easily dismiss anything that hints at a secret conspiracy or tries to tie scriptural prophecy in with current events.

Well, this has turned out exactly how I hoped it wouldn't. Oh, well.

"Gadianton Robbers? What Gadianton Robbers?"

It baffles me that people who believe in the Book of Mormon so easily dismiss anything that hints at a secret conspiracy or tries to tie scriptural prophecy in with current events.

Yes, because it totally follows that because the Book of Mormon warns against secret combinations that [insert your favorite conspiracy theory] is absolutely true. 

Yes, because it totally follows that because the Book of Mormon warns against secret combinations that [insert your favorite conspiracy theory] is absolutely true. 

Just as sometimes a coincidence really is a coincidence sometimes a conspiracy really is a conspiracy.  It is just difficult to tell which one is.

I thought you were better than to put words in my mouth that I never said.

Flippantly dismissing everything and anything that hints at a "conspiracy theory", i don't believe is wise. We must be at least aware of what may be coming. Eventually a great deception will come, and if we haven't been at least aware of the warnings, we will be duped.

But we are spinning our wheels now. So I bow out.

Have fun criticizing all those "conpsiracy nuts" out there.

Just as sometimes a coincidence really is a coincidence sometimes a conspiracy really is a conspiracy.  It is just difficult to tell which one is.

I think criminal activity (like the various flavors of Mafia) is a good indicator; so is secretiveness (though usually we all find out) like the NSA gathering data, or various mega-corporations or mega-banks making secret decisions that increase their wealth and decrease the wealth or health of the rest of us. I'm not convinced Satan is good enough at keeping people united for a cause to create some of the really big conspiracies hinted at on various internet boards and sites. 

I thought you were better than to put words in my mouth that I never said.

Flippantly dismissing everything and anything that hints at a "conspiracy theory", i don't believe is wise. We must be at least aware of what may be coming. Eventually a great deception will come, and if we haven't been at least aware of the warnings, we will be duped.

But we are spinning our wheels now. So I bow out.

Have fun criticizing all those "conpsiracy nuts" out there.

I did not intend to put words into your mouth. You basically dismissed everyone's opinion here as predictable and foolish, so my response was equally as flippant.

Generally, when someone tells me they found out about a huge conspiracy because they have some esoteric/secret/divine knowledge that only they have access to, I tend not to put much faith in that. And anytime it involves reptilian aliens, I'm nonplussed. Now, find me a conspiracy involving the Stonecutters, and I'm in. There's no other way to explain Steve Guttenberg.

The problem is that the conspiracy theories are nothing like the Gadiantons. Let's take a look at how the Gadaintons operate in the Book of Mormon. They are clumsy in their operations, often fail, kill each other, everyone knows they are around, and prophets tell people not to associate with them.

When was the last time the Illuminati offered to let you join in?

In the Book of Mormon the warning is not that the combinations are out there. Everyone knows that. The warning is not to join them. So do not join in skeevy business deals to make money unethically or workplace cabals to cover up wrongdoing. Do not become a slumlord with a friendly Scum lawyer. Do not run a children's reform prison and donate to a judge for him to give you more occupants to increase profits. Do not try to take human life and convert it into wealth whether that is through murder or lowering the quality of life of others by grinding the faces of the poor or abusing your employees or ripping off the vulnerable. It is the people willing to increase the misery and suffering of others in exchange for an increase in personal property and power.

That is how you avoid the Gadiantons amongst us. They are not grand movie villains. They are petty people with petty ambitions and some sit in the pews with you or in the cubicle next to you. You do not fight them by posting about chemtrails, mind control satellites, reptilians, and secret cabals who control everything. Admittedly the former is harder so I understand why people want the latter to be the real deal.

Strange but I don't get the same picture of the Gadiantons that you do. 

I did not intend to put words into your mouth. You basically dismissed everyone's opinion here as predictable and foolish, so my response was equally as flippant.

I was hoping we could get beyond, "LOL, crazy conspiracy nutters." and discuss the implication of CERN.

Does anyone here know enough about physics and stuff to tell us what could happen if CERN experiments were to go badly?

I didn't want this to be about "conspiracies" exactly, but more of a scientific discussion.

Oh, well.