Seriously No Politics ×

Provo Has The Most Babies In The Country

JAHS

"The home of Brigham Young University came in first, with 21.4 births per 1,000 people. Bloomberg found that Utah's "young population combined with a high fertility rate" helped land three cities in the top five, with Ogden in third and Salt Lake City in fifth."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865634566/Provo-has-the-most-babies-in-the-country-according-to-Bloomberg.html?pg=all

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-13/americans-are-having-the-most-babies-in-these-20-cities

Why am I not surprised?

A recent study by the Austin Institute, and reported on by a Roman Catholic author, confirms that the Mormons are the most successful at sustaining a marriage culture.  Others talk, while the Mormons walk the walk.  Maggie Gallagher, “The Mormon Advantage: Leaving Theology Aside, What Can We Learn from the Mormons,” National Review, December 12, 2014, online at http://www.nationalreview.com/article/394510/mormon-advantage-maggie-gallagher .

"The home of Brigham Young University came in first, with 21.4 births per 1,000 people. Bloomberg found that Utah's "young population combined with a high fertility rate" helped land three cities in the top five, with Ogden in third and Salt Lake City in fifth."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865634566/Provo-has-the-most-babies-in-the-country-according-to-Bloomberg.html?pg=all

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-13/americans-are-having-the-most-babies-in-these-20-cities

Why am I not surprised?

Why am I not surprised?

R

Why am I not surprised?

The thing that troubles me is why would a group of young married people, who are so thoroughly trained from their youth to understand that sexual relations outside of marriage is such a serious transgression, appear to be so enthusiastic about indulging their carnal lusts within marriage covenant? You'd think all that religious training would cause these young people to look upon "human intimacy" with a healthy dose of good old fashioned Victorian revulsion. But rather than exhibit a proper spirit of virtuous reluctance, they seem to revel in the forbidden pleasures of the flesh with a reckless abandon. They ought to be ashamed of themselves! I blame Sigmond Freud for this sorry state of affairs.

Edited by Bobbieaware

You all know what a fan I am of BYU Sports... one of the things I love most, particularly about volleyball and basketball, is when there is a pause in the action the cameraman (who must be a father) pans the camera on all the babies/toddlers in the audience, dressed in their little BYU outfits, and being held by their parents... even youngsters a little older... they love it!  And during half-time there is some type of activity for children on the playing floor... but sometimes the noise in the Smith Field House is so loud during volleyball that I do worry about the babies' hearing... I do love the fact that young marrieds take their babies and children along for a real family outing to watch the games.

GG

You all know what a fan I am of BYU Sports... one of the things I love most, particularly about volleyball and basketball, is when there is a pause in the action the cameraman (who must be a father) pans the camera on all the babies/toddlers in the audience, dressed in their little BYU outfits, and being held by their parents... even youngsters a little older... they love it!  And during half-time there is some type of activity for children on the playing floor... but sometimes the noise in the Smith Field House is so loud during volleyball that I do worry about the babies' hearing... I do love the fact that young marrieds take their babies and children along for a real family outing to watch the games.

GG

All that money wasted on BYU contraband could've been spent on UoU paraphernalia that would uplift one's spirit immeasurably. So sad.

But congrats on the baby making Provo!!

A recent study by the Austin Institute, and reported on by a Roman Catholic author, confirms that the Mormons are the most successful at sustaining a marriage culture.  

I am very glad to see that, but what about success in charity? Are we the most charitable religion compared to other religious groups?  

What about success in missionary work? Are we doing better than the other religious groups on that? 

What about success in being friendly? Are we doing  better than the other religious groups on that?

Are we a light to the world? Are we special? 

Edited by TheSkepticChristian

You can do your research yourself if youwant to know, but there is a study out there that demonstrates high scores in volunteerism and charitable giving even if one takes into account tithing and church work.

Missionary work haven't heard of any studies.

As far as friendliness, when asked we rate others very positively; we are however low on the likeability scale unless someone actually knows a Mormon, then our rating goes way up.

Edited by calmoriah

All that money wasted on BYU contraband could've been spent on UoU paraphernalia that would uplift one's spirit immeasurably. So sad.

But congrats on the baby making Provo!!

Hi Val...

GG

I am very glad to see that, but what about success in charity? Are we the most charitable religion compared to other religious groups?  

What about success in missionary work? Are we doing better than the other religious groups on that? 

What about success in being friendly? Are we doing  better than the other religious groups on that?

"Yes" to each of these questions.

Are we a light to the world? Are we special?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/60303036.jpg .

60303036.jpg

CFR I will love to see the evidence, I want to be proud of my church.

We have the aid of the gift of the Holy Ghost, so we should be special, we should be a light to the world. Are we the most Christian?

Well, I can't say whether the Mormons are the most "Christian," which is a judgment best left to God, or to other groups which call themselves "Christian," and which have often denied that Mormons are Christian.

As for the questions you posed, they have all been discussed on this board in the past, with accompanying documentation -- based on the figures available from the IRS, from the Journal of Philanthropy, etc.  You even say to calmoriah that you had seen something along those lines before.  Non-Mormon scholarship and statistics have frequently touted our extraordinary ability to take "lemons" and make lemonade.

In this thread alone, it seems apparent that when one steps into Provo, Utah, one has stepped into a timewarp going back to the 1950s -- when marriage and families had real meaning for most people.  That and the incredibly low crime rate have been very heartening to this old California guy who now finds himself in Provo.  Reminds me of an old song from those days, "Dear Hearts and Gentle People."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNOz-HkoOM .

Did this study include temporary residents like BYU students?  That would skew the number high.

In our married student ward at least 1/3 of the sisters were pregnant at any given time.  But they all moved on in 2-3 years of residency.

Did this study include temporary residents like BYU students?  That would skew the number high.

In our married student ward at least 1/3 of the sisters were pregnant at any given time.  But they all moved on in 2-3 years of residency.

The mere fact that you are Mormon skews the results of almost any type of research.  Take the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), for example.  When it first came into broad use half-a-century ago, it could not be used to accurately assess Mormon psychology.  The results were uniformly skewed in ways suggesting great abnormalcy.  Only when the results were corrected to allow for Mormon belief in visions and personal revelation, did the results show normalcy for normal people (among Mormons), and just like people outside Mormonism in most other respects.

Iirc one of the problems was the items they used for testing honesty in responding (if they lied to make themselve s look better), "do you pray every day" or "read the scriptures daily" (can't remember which my professor said)...LDS could honestly answer "yes" for.

other groups which call themselves "Christian," and which have often denied that Mormons are Christian.

but they are completely irrelevant, and I think they are the great abominable church 

What I mean by more Christian is 

1. charity 

2. not judgmental 

3. friendly to all 

4. nice to everyone 

5. actually caring about others 

"2014’s Most and Least Charitable States"

This study shows where Utah stands in helping strangers,  volunteering time, and donating money.

Very nice, but Utah statistics are not necessarily Mormon statistics, I read that in the FairMormon websites. 

I am glad Utah is on the top of the list.

And you worry about others' charity?

John 7: 24

I simply want to be proud of my church, but I can't always say that

As for the questions you posed, they have all been discussed on this board in the past, with accompanying documentation -- based on the figures available from the IRS, from the Journal of Philanthropy, etc.  .

and I know there are many LDS that care about others. I praise some of my fellow LDS, but what I said in post 20 seems to be lacking in some wards, even when members have the aid of the Gift of the Holy Ghost. 

I seen something about that before, but it will be nice if plenty of studies confirm that.

Put up the money for a study and

but they are completely irrelevant, and I think they are the great abominable church 

What I mean by more Christian is 

1. charity 

2. not judgmental 

3. friendly to all 

4. nice to everyone 

5. actually caring about others 

Very nice, but Utah statistics are not necessarily Mormon statistics, I read that in the FairMormon websites. 

I am glad Utah is on the top of the list.

You have yourself a nice list there.  Its a good start.  Go to work on it and when you have mastered it come on back.

I simply want to be proud of my church, but I can't always say that

and I know there are many LDS that care about others. I praise some of my fellow LDS, but what I said in post 20 seems to be lacking in some wards, even when members have the aid of the Gift of the Holy Ghost. 

There will always be ignorant people in any organization, and one can assume that members of any religion need to hear truth preached and to avail themselves of repentance.  However, on balance, the Mormon Church far more successfully implements the principles of the Gospel than other religions -- and does so by the measurements applied by non-Mormon research groups.

Change is needed.  It is always needed.  But only those organizations which are designed for dynamic change will survive and prosper.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that troubles me is why would a group of young married people, who are so thoroughly trained from their youth to understand that sexual relations outside of marriage is such a serious transgression, appear to be so enthusiastic about indulging their carnal lusts within marriage covenant? You'd think all that religious training would cause these young people to look upon "human intimacy" with a healthy dose of good old fashioned Victorian revulsion. But rather than exhibit a proper spirit of virtuous reluctance, they seem to revel in the forbidden pleasures of the flesh with a reckless abandon. They ought to be ashamed of themselves! I blame Sigmond Freud for this sorry state of affairs.

So, pretty much you're saying that anti-mormon conspiracy claims that the Church "oppresses" natural and healthy sexual outlooks and behaviors is false?

Nothing new there.

I've never felt "oppressed" by Church standards.  We simply believe in doing it when it's best and right to do it.  We love doing it like anyone else.