Seriously No Politics ×

Lee Billings, “Alien Supercivilizations Absent from 100,000 Nearby Galaxies,” Scientific American, April 17, 2015, online at http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alien-supercivilizations-absent-from-100-000-nearby-galaxies/  ,

The most far-seeing search ever performed for “Dyson spheres” and other artifacts of “astroengineering” comes up empty. Where are all the extraterrestrials?

TheSkepticChristian asked me to post this reference, and he emphasizes the following points:

Dr. Jason Wright "intends to perform follow-up work investigating some of his survey’s strangest galaxies, looking for civilizations further down the Kardashev scale. He also hopes to examine a curious cluster of optically dark point sources just outside the Milky Way’s galactic plane that his team discovered by their infrared glows in the WISE data. The cluster is probably a previously unknown giant molecular cloud, an unmapped stellar nursery filled with protostars, Wright says. But 'it’s also almost exactly what you’d expect a cluster of Dyson Spheres to look like.'  It seems [Freeman] Dyson’s dream is still alive"

Why search for something that is only hypothetical and not really practical? The dyson sphere is a pipe dream. that is all it ever will be. 

Lee Billings, “Alien Supercivilizations Absent from 100,000 Nearby Galaxies,” Scientific American, April 17, 2015, 

Even if true, there are about 500 Billion Galaxies in our observable universe alone according to a computer simulation from Germany. 

So it is like looking for the next lionel messi in a very small town, there are about 6 Billion people on Earth.

Why search for something that is only hypothetical and not really practical? The dyson sphere is a pipe dream. that is all it ever will be. 

So you think God is not capable of that? and do you have better ideas? 

Edited by TheSkepticChristian

Even if true, there are about 500 Billion Galaxies in our observable universe alone according to a computer simulation from Germany. 

So it is like looking for the next lionel messi in a very small town, there are about 6 Billion people on Earth.

I thought you didn't believe in alien encounters?  Am I in error and you really do believe we are an engineered species?

I thought you didn't believe in alien encounters?  

Not in the childish UFO videos, crop circles, and abductions, there is no evidence for that. 

God was not born on the planet Earth, so that means God is an extra-terrestrial.

Am I in error and you really do believe we are an engineered species?

I don't believe we literally come from the dust. 

Edited by TheSkepticChristian

Not in the childish UFO videos, crop circles, and abductions, there is no evidence for that. 

God was not born on the planet Earth, so that means God is an extra-terrestrial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpTQgvkQWQU

I don't believe we literally come from the dust.

The Book of Mormon declares that Jesus Christ is the Eternal God and he was born on planet earth. So the Eternal God is in fact a terrestrial.. Just sayin'.

What on earth makes you think that there should be a structure such as a Dyson sphere in the universe? I see no reason for ever having such a structure. And you assume that God needs one.

Tell me, is there evidence for big foot?

Do you believe in big foot?

Is there evidence for a Dyson sphere?

Do you believe they exist?

See were I am going with this?

What on earth makes you think that there should be a structure such as a Dyson sphere in the universe? I see no reason for ever having such a structure. And you assume that God needs one.

Tell me, is there evidence for big foot?

Do you believe in big foot?

Is there evidence for a Dyson sphere?

Do you believe they exist?

See were I am going with this?

In as large a universe as we have it is entirely possible for a Dyson sphere to exist. However at this point in our knowledge we can't say positively that they do exist at coordinates X.Y and Z.

What does God need with a Starship.

SEE

A couple of grainy photographs, and testimonials maybe evidence for some of Bigfoot,  but most of us need a bunch more physical evidence for confirmation.

A pipe dream?

So was long distance communication.  So was human beings flying through the air.  In fact, many of the things we take for granted today were not even pipe dreams as recently as a hundred years ago.

I quote Clarke's Three Laws:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Are you even a distinguished but elderly scientist?  Nope.

Do you even know what a Dyson Sphere is?  Probably not.

As to whether we will ever detect a DS, I doubt it.

In as large a universe as we have it is entirely possible for a Dyson sphere to exist. However at this point in our knowledge we can't say positively that they do exist at coordinates X.Y and Z.

What does God need with a Starship.

A couple of grainy photographs, and testimonials maybe evidence for some of Bigfoot,  but most of us need a bunch more physical evidence for confirmation.

And you don't ask God for ID, either.

Edited by Stargazer

"...that there should be a structure such as a Dyson sphere..."?

Should there be an Einstein Ring?  An Einstein Ring is a naturally-occurring structure.  They do in fact occur.  Dyson Spheres are artificial structures, and given enough energy and material to hand, they are possible to construct.  But only if a civilization is given enough time to do so.  It's not a trivial exercise.  Obviously.  I don't think God needs one.  But I wouldn't put it past God wanting a Dyson Sphere and building one.  Or letting some of His children build one.

And you can't say that there is no such construct as a Dyson Sphere anywhere in the Universe.  Well, you can say it, but that won't make it so.  And... you can't prove a negative.

Yahweh God is an Earthling?! Our big brother . . .

Hey, preach that on Sunday !!

Hi Robert,

Anyway, what's so controversial about it? Doesn't virtually every Christian religion teach God was made flesh on this earth in the person of Jesus Christ? Since planet earth is the planet where this man/God was born, in scientific parlance that would make him a terrestrial or earthling. Or is it somehow too crass or disrespectful to say the Lord is an earthling even though it's true? Even though our spirits came from afar, just as the Lord's spirit did, I guess it's acceptable to say we fallen creatures are earthlings because we're all just a bunch of schlubs.

Edited by Bobbieaware

Should there be an Einstein Ring?  An Einstein Ring is a naturally-occurring structure.  They do in fact occur.  Dyson Spheres are artificial structures, and given enough energy and material to hand, they are possible to construct.  But only if a civilization is given enough time to do so.  It's not a trivial exercise.  Obviously.  I don't think God needs one.  But I wouldn't put it past God wanting a Dyson Sphere and building one.  Or letting some of His children build one.

And you can't say that there is no such construct as a Dyson Sphere anywhere in the Universe.  Well, you can say it, but that won't make it so.  And... you can't prove a negative.

Pretty sure I know what the hypothetical structure known as the Dyson sphere is. They even came across one on Star Trek.

Is it possible to build? Sure. I guess. I am not sure any one has given thought to how much material would be required to make one. And there would be significant issues in building one. Further more, what would be the point?

Pretty sure there is an easier way to get energy.

I think it interesting that they are looking for something that really does have the slimmest change of existing of anything that they could be looking for.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Yeah you can't prove a negative I agree. However where is the evidence for one that exists? I see no reason to assume they do exist.

Yeah you can't prove a negative I agree. However where is the evidence for one that exists? I see no reason to assume they do exist.

If "X" exists "Y" can't is a logical fallacy. It really wasn't all that long ago that the assumption was that man would never be in space or land on the moon. We've done both. 

there is no evidence, but that doesn't mean science shouldn't look for them.  However, anything that is possible does exist in a eternal universe 

Do you have a better idea of how science can look for God?

There is no archaeological proof for the Book of Mormon, but it doesn't mean it is false. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.