Seriously No Politics ×

Online Tithing

Rivers

I'm looking forward to this.  Our income changes every month, so sometimes I don't pay it at church because I haven't figured it out yet, then I bring home an envelope, which I typically end up losing. 

I'm waiting for it to roll out in my area. Right now I order a check on line and have it made out to my ward and sent to my home address. Since I haven't been able to get to church for awhile I mail it.

We have paid tithes and offerings online for well into two decades here in the Netherlands. In fact, the clerk gets a bit testy if you do not.  There is a hidden pitfall. Our tithe is by automatic draft.  I never think about it except during December's annual Bishopric chat.  Although aware of Malachi's windows effect, I miss the mechanics of thinking about the tithe, putting it in the envelope,  handing in the tithe and being greeted and thanked.  

When our children began to tithe, our then Bishop received their little offerings in the envelopes with an appropriate and appreciated response.  That was at least 15 years ago, and was the last time we used an envelope. After that they paid their tithe through our account at the bank, so they paid Papa and he transferred the amount.  Not the same mechanics at all.

I've been using the earlier method of paying donations automatically through BillPay, since about a year.  Really like it a lot.  Last I checked, our area hasn't yet been given the option using the new online option.  One of these days I will go over to the new system, once our area is open to it.

I'm looking forward to this.  Our income changes every month, so sometimes I don't pay it at church because I haven't figured it out yet, then I bring home an envelope, which I typically end up losing. 

I use BillPay at the moment, and I have the option through my bank of changing the amount of donation on the fly.  If my income varied this would be the most convenient way.

Does the new online system make it easy to change the donation amount?

I did it once through our banks bill pay when we had moved and changed addresses, but am still waiting for the church website option to be available so that we don't have to have the silly thing of me doing it online and the bank mailing it to the bishop's house. I check every once in a while to see if it is available yet just in case it is there before it is announced.

I use BillPay at the moment, and I have the option through my bank of changing the amount of donation on the fly. If my income varied this would be the most convenient way.

Does the new online system make it easy to change the donation amount?

As far as I can tell, it only allows one-time donations. It's basically a digital version of the tithing form at church.

We had a training at church this week; you log into your LDS.org account, and via drop down menu complete the process. It can be set up to be the same every time (which we will likely do) or it can be filled out different amounts each time. Very nice format, IMO. You can also donate to other wards' missionary funds, so for example, a couple of years ago when my nephew was on his mission and we were helping out, we had to mail the check each month to the bishop of his ward and then it was nearly March before we got a tax statement. So this is really great. There's also the option of putting money into a specific missionaries' name. Very handy-dandy!

I did it once through our banks bill pay when we had moved and changed addresses, but am still waiting for the church website option to be available so that we don't have to have the silly thing of me doing it online and the bank mailing it to the bishop's house. I check every once in a while to see if it is available yet just in case it is there before it is announced.

It's not only silly but after church the clerks have to fill out a tithing slip for you, hope they get it right and don't incorrectly enter the 16 digit long check number into the computer.

(Sorry. Finance clerk venting a little here)

It's not only silly but after church the clerks have to fill out a tithing slip for you, hope they get it right and don't incorrectly enter the 16 digit long check number into the computer.

(Sorry. Finance clerk venting a little here)

Then there is the possibility that one of the kids will get to the mail first and lose your tithing envelope before the bishop gets it. Or maybe the bishop sets it aside to bring to church with him and gets called away unexpectedly and he forgets to give it to someone else till he gets back.

Dozens of reasons to be excited.

Then there is the possibility that one of the kids will get to the mail first and lose your tithing envelope before the bishop gets it. Or maybe the bishop sets it aside to bring to church with him and gets called away unexpectedly and he forgets to give it to someone else till he gets back.

Dozens of reasons to be excited.

Or the Bishop pust it in his suit coat to take to church, forgets to give it to the clerk, leaving it in his suit, but doesn't wear that same suit for a couple more weeks. Some time later his wife finds it while taking that suit to the cleaners.