Seriously No Politics ×

Would You Take Money From An Apostate?

As I said, there were no strings attached to the financial support. 

Offering assistance to family with no strings attached is a noble and kind gesture.

I find it interesting that so many people assumed there must be strings attached. Maybe it's because we have often seen strings attached. For example, think of the inactive man who loses his job. His parents agree to help with his rent IF he goes back to church. This is even done by bishops with fast offering funds. So maybe it has become an expectations that we attach strings.

Offering assistance to family with no strings attached is a noble and kind gesture.

I find it interesting that so many people assumed there must be strings attached. Maybe it's because we have often seen strings attached. For example, think of the inactive man who loses his job. His parents agree to help with his rent IF he goes back to church. This is even done by bishops with fast offering funds. So maybe it has become an expectations that we attach strings.

I'm trying to figure out what kinds of strings you could attach. All door approaches must be done in pig-latin? Scripture study must be accompanied by a summoning of Beelzebub? 

Absolutely agree that even a donation from an anti-Mormon should be acceptable.

Heck, I'd say even Yes to a donation from the Pope.

Why would anyone object to allowing someone to redeem themselves, or to someone doing good?    Assuming it is just a pride thing --- I'm going to show up you all so called righteous people who can't afford to pay when I can ---  that still doesn't make it less viable resource.   

ETA, I'm not suggesting that pride is the only motivation.  I'm saying that even assuming that kind of motivation, resource is resource.   The Lord can inspire an apostate to forward His work, just as He can someone who believes in Him, assuming both pay attention when He calls.

Edited by rpn

Why would anyone object to allowing someone to redeem themselves, or to someone doing good?    Assuming it is just a pride thing --- I'm going to show up you all so called righteous people who can't afford to pay when I can ---  that still doesn't make it less viable resource.

Why would you assume it's a pride thing? My understanding is that the giver asked that the ongoing support be kept confidential, but the missionary accidentally sent an email of gratitude meant for the giver to the entire family (that's how my wife and I found out about it). I only brought it up because, like the apostate giver, I was a little taken aback that some of the family were upset about it.

Why would you assume it's a pride thing? My understanding is that the giver asked that the ongoing support be kept confidential, but the missionary accidentally sent an email of gratitude meant for the giver to the entire family (that's how my wife and I found out about it). I only brought it up because, like the apostate giver, I was a little taken aback that some of the family were upset about it.

Perhaps the rest of the family is upset that they don't have the means to help out, and the dirty apostate filled extra loads of cash, having not to pay tithing, gets to come in a save the day.

Perhaps the rest of the family is upset that they don't have the means to help out, and the dirty apostate filled extra loads of cash, having not to pay tithing, gets to come in a save the day.

No idea. I just thought it was odd.

Is the missionary serving in Japan or Europe?

Because if so, the anti-Mormon giver might be donating the money to foster a cultural experience for the missionary, confident in the idea that he isn't contributing to Church growth in any way.

Example of why cinepro is one of my favorites...

This reminds me of the "joke" maybe parable about the individual who refused to be rescued 3 times, because "God will save me". The person died, and in Heaven asked God, "Why didn't you save me?". God replied "3 times I sent rescue, but each time you refused."

Refusing, no strings attached financial support of a missionary by a someone who left the Church just seems to do a disservice to all.

If you were familiar with the person, you'd probably say "apostate." I would, but then I like the word. It has a certain evil cache to it.

I don't think you really meant to say it has an evil hiding place.  I think you probably meant to say it has a certain evil cachet to it.

ETA: I see Kenngo already beat me to it.

In any case the "evil" ex-Mo is doing a good thing, and the family should accept the gift and let him/her reap the blessings.  Why would anyone turn down a gift for such a reason?  It makes no sense.

Edited by Russell C McGregor

I don't know that I can be considered an apostate or Ex-Mormon but I plan to pay for my niece's mission because it is important to her and that makes it important to me. I cannot in good conscience allow the ego of any disagreements I might have stand in the way of faithful service and charity.

Maybe every two years (or 18 months) I should be a sponsor, if you will, of a missionary in need of monetary assistance.

Now I'm getting too excited!!

I don't think you really meant to say it has an evil hiding place.  I think you probably meant to say it has a certain evil cachet to it.

ETA: I see Kenngo already beat me to it.

In any case the "evil" ex-Mo is doing a good thing, and the family should accept the gift and let him/her reap the blessings.  Why would anyone turn down a gift for such a reason?  It makes no sense.

Well said, Mr. McGregor.

I don't know that I can be considered an apostate or Ex-Mormon but I plan to pay for my niece's mission because it is important to her and that makes it important to me. I cannot in good conscience allow the ego of any disagreements I might have stand in the way of faithful service and charity.

Maybe every two years (or 18 months) I should be a sponsor, if you will, of a missionary in need of monetary assistance.

Now I'm getting too excited!!

What a great approach to take.

I agree with you.  

I question, however, the legitimacy of equating "ex-Mormon" with "apostate."

Thanks,

-Smac

My dad was never LDS, has always supported us, but also has at time been critical, perhaps extremely critical, of Church beliefs.  Usually he keeps his opinions to himself out of respect, but if you ask, he will say what he thinks.  That said, he paid for all his kids' missions.  He did it because that is what we wanted to do and what we thought was important.  And he respected that more than anything, and he also recognized the value of a mission to the missionary regardless of any religious component.  He even refused to take a tax deduction, as he thought it was wrong to seek a tax benefit for doing his job as a parent.

A few things:

Ward leaders would not use fast monies to pay for a missionary. There are separate funds, either the local or the general missionary fund that deal with this need, not fast offerings.

I would suggest that if the intention of giving is simply to help, then accept and say thank you.

Let the Lord decide / judge the motives behind it.

The irony would be delicious here in any event, an out spoken ex-Mormon, publically supporting a relative who is an out spoken active LDS Missionary is choice.

Thank him/her and continue to have dialogue with them. Perhaps the missionary could thank them too.

My dad was never LDS, has always supported us, but also has at time been critical, perhaps extremely critical, of Church beliefs.  Usually he keeps his opinions to himself out of respect, but if you ask, he will say what he thinks.  That said, he paid for all his kids' missions.  He did it because that is what we wanted to do and what we thought was important.  And he respected that more than anything, and he also recognized the value of a mission to the missionary regardless of any religious component.  He even refused to take a tax deduction, as he thought it was wrong to seek a tax benefit for doing his job as a parent.

WRT the tax deduction: I admire his integrity, but disagree with his reasoning.  That's his money to begin with; the government simply takes it from him because they can.  If, by law, he's entitled to some of his own money back, then it was always his; he's not accepting any favours.

Just my view, anyway.

WRT the tax deduction: I admire his integrity, but disagree with his reasoning.  That's his money to begin with; the government simply takes it from him because they can.  If, by law, he's entitled to some of his own money back, then it was always his; he's not accepting any favours.

Just my view, anyway.

Never ever miss a tax write off that is legally deductible. This a simple cardinal Rule of the Universe.