Seriously No Politics ×

Would You Take Money From An Apostate?

A good 15 years ago or so I got news from a "friend" who was an evangelical-type particularly opposed to LDS that he too was in financial trouble. I was fresh out of college, at the time, but was able to contribute to his difficulties. He took it with gratitude, and then proceeded to try and tear apart my own beliefs.

this is the first mention I've made of it and feel foolish doing so now. It wasn't much so I shouldn't even take credit. A couple years before that I had many interactions with a lady who was convinced I'd turn Evangelical-type so she regularly sent me books to help convince me. It was awesome, because I got a number of really good books. I was in the thick of it in college and didn't have the means, so it was a blessing to me. There was some pay back there on my end.

We're supposed to do the right thing because it's the right thing, and you did the right thing.

I have a child who because of lifestyle has been outspoken of the Church and only attends at family events and she payed $100.00 a month for the entire two years. Also when my son was thinking he might not want to go, it was her and his other siblings who stepped in offering to pay and help with college. But I glad he went because in the end he decieded that much of what was good in his life was Family and Church...and not the money. He attends college now, while working and pays his own way. He has not asked any of this siblings to honor their commitment...probably because he is like them and wants to do everything by himself. He has gotten grants (little) and loans (lots) knowing he will have to repay. His new wife of 2 months graduates college in December and will be able to get work to help pay. His parents and his siblings knew what he did not yet know, the quickest way between childhood and adulthood is a mission or military...because both involve structure and service to others. Something to note, is when my oldest served her mission and my wife and I struggled to pay all my Baptist Milister Father and my Mother payed the rest. So, why would anyone reject money from a non-believer as such monies often help to bless the lives of many as well as soften the hearts of others.

That's why I asked here. I thought it was a little odd that some of the family was upset. I believe in being kind, and I also believe in accepting kindness from others, no matter who they are. I will try to be kinder going forward. Take care, and be well.

Someone I know has a daughter on a mission, and just after she entered the MTC, her father lost his job. They were struggling anyway, but now it was impossible to pay for their daughter's mission. A relative of the mother stepped in and is paying for all but about $50 of her expenses each month. Apparently, there's some controversy in the family because the relative who stepped in is a fairly outspoken ex-Mormon, and other family members feel it's inappropriate for the young lady to accept money from an apostate. No one in the family has the money to support the young lady, but they feel the family should ask the ward to support her instead. 

What do you think? Would you accept money from an apostate to support your mission? Will the apostate be blessed for supporting a missionary? Personally, I think this family should just take what is offered in the spirit it is given and be grateful. 

I agree.  Just because someone is a so-called "apostate" does not mean that he is not a good person and does not feel compassion.

If you were familiar with the person, you'd probably say "apostate." I would, but then I like the word. It has a certain evil cache to it.

I believe you mean cachet.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cachet.  I'm just looking out for your image, John: I wouldn't want you to make any embarrassing spelling or word-choice errors.  After all, such errors would be tres gauche, and that simply wouldn't do for a man who wishes to be seen as chic. ;):D

Oh, and, by the way: You're not too bad ... for an evil, scheming, conniving, degenerate, reprobate, reprehensible apostate. :D:rofl::D

3998596-dr-evil.jpg

John Williams, circa 2015

Sincerely,

Kenngo1969, one of the Board's resident Word Wizards,

and Resident Frenchmen

P.S.: And yeah, I'd take the money; better I spent it on a mission than that anyone else spend it on wine, women, and song. ;):D

Edited by Kenngo1969

Someone I know has a daughter on a mission, and just after she entered the MTC, her father lost his job. They were struggling anyway, but now it was impossible to pay for their daughter's mission. A relative of the mother stepped in and is paying for all but about $50 of her expenses each month. Apparently, there's some controversy in the family because the relative who stepped in is a fairly outspoken ex-Mormon, and other family members feel it's inappropriate for the young lady to accept money from an apostate. No one in the family has the money to support the young lady, but they feel the family should ask the ward to support her instead. 

What do you think? Would you accept money from an apostate to support your mission? Will the apostate be blessed for supporting a missionary? Personally, I think this family should just take what is offered in the spirit it is given and be grateful. 

Oh for heaven's sakes..I have helped many nieces and nephews.  They were receptive and grateful at the time. But not a word from them in a few years.  Perhaps the nature of a person..non mormon or not is what is important.  Just maybe God sees that too.  Have I been blessed??  I didn't want anything...it is just my nature and the nature of good human beings and family.

An extra note...I have also offered my help in those missionaries that needed to make a call..or wanted to come home.   Offered help.

Edited by Jeanne

Years ago my friend was called to a mission in France. His mother took a job with the local Catholic school. She used her salary to pay for my friend's mission. In a round about way , the ( apostate ?) Catholic church paid to send an LDS missionary to convert Catholics. Oh the irony ! Then again , maybe they figured the loss of 2 French semi-Catholics was not anything to get overwrought about. Now , if he had been called to Mexico, I'm sure there would have been repercussions . :diablo:

That's why I asked here. I thought it was a little odd that some of the family was upset. I believe in being kind, and I also believe in accepting kindness from others, no matter who they are. I will try to be kinder going forward. Take care, and be well.

You are right it is odd, especially to deny someone with positive blessing that giving for a mission can provide. I would take money from anyone who was willing to help, but not from someone if strings attached. But this seems to be a generous gift (not saying generous as to dollar amount). But not accepting because of the reason you quote would seem a flaw of those unwilling to accept rather than the donor. Although not money, you and I have not shared the same beliefs for years, we always got along here and corresponded for years as friends via e-mail. The point being is...only accepting help, or being friends only with those who agree with you, can make for a small and lonely world.

Well, if it's offered in a sincere desire to help, then I don't see a thing wrong with it.

In fact, if the family is making their "concerns" known, they are missing a huge opportunity and only reinforcing the anti-mormons views of the church and the mormons in it.

I'm assuming it's some of the "external" members of the family, since it seems the main family has been accepting the help.

So, I would just educate them on the Gospel.

Of course, part of me can understand their concerns.  Some people for some reason in the world have problem with accepting money from someone "bad", but I don't personally, because the money isn't bad, only the person is.

Of course, if the money was given by a bad person to a politician, the media would expect the politician to give the money back.  Personally I think it's dumb.

Because if a person doesn't agree with the values of the person giving the money, then clearly they aren't buying any "influence".

But, politics is a different animal.  This issue, shouldn't be an issue I think.

Is the missionary serving in Japan or Europe?

Because if so, the anti-Mormon giver might be donating the money to foster a cultural experience for the missionary, confident in the idea that he isn't contributing to Church growth in any way.

And they say I'm cynical. lol

No, she's serving in the USA.

That's Cynic-Pro for ya.

;):D

Seems like the sensible approach to me. 

Yes he will.

I hope the ward leaders would refuse to use fast offering funds to help pay for this mission when there are other means for payment. Those in need are supposed to go to family first. It seems awfully prideful to refuse a needed gift because the giver isn't good enough. At the very least the family member's kindness of making the offer should be appreciated as a charitable and kind act. It is unseemly that the family would want to deny the blessings  of the giver and the blessings of the receiver (the missionary) because they are too righteous to lower themselves to accept a gift from "that" person.

FO funds are not used for missionary support.  That would be missionary fund donations.

... Of course, part of me can understand their concerns.  Some people for some reason in the world have problem with accepting money from someone "bad", but I don't personally, because the money isn't bad, only the person is. [Emphasis added by Kenngo1969.] ...

I take issue with your characterization, somewhat.  Other than my fully-justified, unquestionably-correct, blistering indictment of Brother Williams, there are very few truly "bad" people in the world.  They (and we) may do bad things, but that doesn't make the people themselves "bad."  Men were created to act rather merely to be acted upon, men are free to choose liberty and eternal life or captivity and death, et cetera.  

Edited by Kenngo1969

I took money from an apostate my whole life.  :P

I would take money from anyone that offers it to me without any conditions put on it.  I invite everyone here to send me money.  I will be grateful.

No, no: your cause isn't nearly worthy enough.  Send it here, instead: Gofundme.com/kenngo1969. ;)