Seriously No Politics ×

Would You Take Money From An Apostate?

Someone I know has a daughter on a mission, and just after she entered the MTC, her father lost his job. They were struggling anyway, but now it was impossible to pay for their daughter's mission. A relative of the mother stepped in and is paying for all but about $50 of her expenses each month. Apparently, there's some controversy in the family because the relative who stepped in is a fairly outspoken ex-Mormon, and other family members feel it's inappropriate for the young lady to accept money from an apostate. No one in the family has the money to support the young lady, but they feel the family should ask the ward to support her instead. 

What do you think? Would you accept money from an apostate to support your mission? Will the apostate be blessed for supporting a missionary? Personally, I think this family should just take what is offered in the spirit it is given and be grateful. 

I too appreciate the kind gesture. But be careful for any strings attached to it.

I too appreciate the kind gesture. But be careful for any strings attached to it.

I have it on good authority there are no strings attached. The relative knows the young lady wants to serve a mission and feels it's appropriate to help.

I hope the ward leaders would refuse to use fast offering funds to help pay for this mission when there are other means for payment. Those in need are supposed to go to family first. It seems awfully prideful to refuse a needed gift because the giver isn't good enough. At the very least the family member's kindness of making the offer should be appreciated as a charitable and kind act. It is unseemly that the family would want to deny the blessings  of the giver and the blessings of the receiver (the missionary) because they are too righteous to lower themselves to accept a gift from "that" person.

I would gratefully accept the money. If anything, it means even more that the relative is willing to support something he doesn't believe in, simply because it's important to the young lady. It could also mean that his feelings toward the Church are softening. Bratty behavior on the part of the relatives would probably push him even deeper into apostasy. Plus, think of the missionary opportunities! Obviously, the missionary will want to regularly update her benefactor on her mission activities. ;)

Someone I know has a daughter on a mission, and just after she entered the MTC, her father lost his job. They were struggling anyway, but now it was impossible to pay for their daughter's mission. A relative of the mother stepped in and is paying for all but about $50 of her expenses each month. Apparently, there's some controversy in the family because the relative who stepped in is a fairly outspoken ex-Mormon, and other family members feel it's inappropriate for the young lady to accept money from an apostate. No one in the family has the money to support the young lady, but they feel the family should ask the ward to support her instead. 

What do you think? Would you accept money from an apostate to support your mission? Will the apostate be blessed for supporting a missionary? Personally, I think this family should just take what is offered in the spirit it is given and be grateful. 

I would but not from you.

j/k

I find it a bit interesting that the ex mo would donate. But at the same time family is family and people look out for family regardless of religion or politics.

I would but not from you.

j/k

I find it a bit interesting that the ex mo would donate. But at the same time family is family and people look out for family regardless of religion or politics.

Even I wouldn't take it from me. ;)

My understanding is that the giver saw that this girl's dreams of serving a mission were in jeopardy, so the exmo stepped in to fill the need. 

I struggle to understand the thinking of such people. If you're involved at all, perhaps mention to them Church's recent cooperation with other faiths - baptists, catholics, and especially CoC (who would be considered "apostate"). If the church can work for good means with others, that's an example for members to follow.

Edited by Buckeye

I agree with you.  

I question, however, the legitimacy of equating "ex-Mormon" with "apostate."

Thanks,

-Smac

I recall a story from church history where two missionaries were fed by a virulent hater of Mormonism who lambasted them through the whole meal. They just ate quickly and figured God would bless him for the meal.

If they can pull that off in a much worse situation I think this is fine.

It is sad that our culture (by this I mean American culture) has an obsession with moral and ideological purity instead of taking things as they come and being grateful for what people can do. We may differ on the morals and ideology but everyone seems to be setting impossible standards for everyone and often themselves. No wonder nihilism is on the rise. :(

I agree with you.  

I question, however, the legitimacy of equating "ex-Mormon" with "apostate."

Thanks,

-Smac

If you were familiar with the person, you'd probably say "apostate." I would, but then I like the word. It has a certain evil cache to it.

Is the missionary serving in Japan or Europe?

Because if so, the anti-Mormon giver might be donating the money to foster a cultural experience for the missionary, confident in the idea that he isn't contributing to Church growth in any way.

Edited by cinepro

I have a child who because of lifestyle has been outspoken of the Church and only attends at family events and she payed $100.00 a month for the entire two years. Also when my son was thinking he might not want to go, it was her and his other siblings who stepped in offering to pay and help with college. But I glad he went because in the end he decieded that much of what was good in his life was Family and Church...and not the money. He attends college now, while working and pays his own way. He has not asked any of this siblings to honor their commitment...probably because he is like them and wants to do everything by himself. He has gotten grants (little) and loans (lots) knowing he will have to repay. His new wife of 2 months graduates college in December and will be able to get work to help pay. His parents and his siblings knew what he did not yet know, the quickest way between childhood and adulthood is a mission or military...because both involve structure and service to others. Something to note, is when my oldest served her mission and my wife and I struggled to pay all my Baptist Milister Father and my Mother payed the rest. So, why would anyone reject money from a non-believer as such monies often help to bless the lives of many as well as soften the hearts of others.

Is the missionary serving in Japan or Europe?

Because if so, the anti-Mormon giver might be donating the money to foster a cultural experience for the missionary, confident in the idea that he isn't contributing to Church growth in any way.

And they say I'm cynical. lol

No, she's serving in the USA.

A good 15 years ago or so I got news from a "friend" who was an evangelical-type particularly opposed to LDS that he too was in financial trouble. I was fresh out of college, at the time, but was able to contribute to his difficulties. He took it with gratitude, and then proceeded to try and tear apart my own beliefs.

this is the first mention I've made of it and feel foolish doing so now. It wasn't much so I shouldn't even take credit. A couple years before that I had many interactions with a lady who was convinced I'd turn Evangelical-type so she regularly sent me books to help convince me. It was awesome, because I got a number of really good books. I was in the thick of it in college and didn't have the means, so it was a blessing to me. There was some pay back there on my end.