In Need Of Advice

KHayes817

Hello there. My name is Kyle, I'm 26 years old, and I've never been to church a day in my life. I was raised in a family that is not only non-religious, but that actively mocks the idea of religion. As a result, this was my viewpoint for most of my life as well. To be entirely honest, as little as six or seven years ago the only reason I might have signed up here would have been to attempt to troll you. I promise you that is not what I am here for today.

Several years ago (I can't say exactly when because I'm not entirely sure myself) I started to question my non-belief. At first it was just a little voice in the back of my head wondering if maybe I could be wrong. It stayed as just that for a long time and I think that's because I forced it to. The possibility that I was wrong and there actually was a God honestly scared the crap out of me. It would mean that I would have to reconsider my entire perspective on life. It would probably also mean losing all respect from most of my family and friends. So I ignored it and continued about my life.

But the questions didn't just go away. Every time any religious topic came up in conversation I began to find myself not knowing what to say. I was no longer certain that my old opinions and those of the people around me were correct. I wasn't even sure what I believed myself anymore. I started trying to gain a better understanding of God, more and more frequently looking through scriptures online. As confused and frustrated as I was, it was only a couple years ago now that I gave in and decided to try praying for the first time. I don't really know what I had expected to happen, but the best way I can think to describe it is that it felt as if a massive weight had finally been lifted off my shoulders. That was the moment I fully realized that for the first two decades plus of my life I had not only been allowing myself to be blinded, but had even been blinding myself.

Since that day I've been keeping that realization to myself, but I don't want to anymore. This is my first attempt to reach out. I know that God is real, there is no question of that in my mind today and I want to be a part of His plan, but I just don't know what to do from here. The situation I grew up in was so far removed from any kind of faith that this feels like an entirely different world to me. I feel like my life has been turned upside down and I have to face it completely alone. So I suppose what I'm looking for here is just some advice or guidance, or even just some people to talk to who might at least somewhat understand what I'm going through.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this.

-Kyle

Visited http://www.Mormon.org yet? :)

Also, keep in mind, God judges us according to what we know at any given time.  If we sin in ignorance, God doesn't treat us the same as He would if we receive His light and then sin against it.  And of course, Christ atoned for your sins, so that's the good news. There are several people here whose conversion to the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ entailed a radical paradigm shift similar to the one you described.  mfbukowski springs immediately to mind.  God loves you.

I wish you well. :)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Welcome to the board, Kyle! I think you will find this to be a very supportive "place." If nothing else, I very much appreciate you sharing your story with us. I'm sure I'm not alone.

For Mormons, what you describe is familiar, because many of us have also experienced a spiritual awakening; and there are also those among us who come from backgrounds of non-belief similar to what you've described. So, it seems you've found quite few kindred spirits here.

If it isn't too personal, can you say what led you toward a "Mormon" board?

While i don't mind putting in my $.02, I think you have access to a much better source of advice.

If you are going to discuss things with Mormons you will soon hear James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him but ask in faith nothing waivering"

We believe the Lord wants us to counsel with Him in all things. That means genuine sincere prayer discussing the struggles and joys of our life. It also means studying the scriptures ao we are familiar with the Lords word.

Seek those two things and nee with the Elders and you will be good.

I feel like my life has been turned upside down and I have to face it completely alone.

The best part is that you don't need to face it alone.

I just read this scripture in another part of this board that seems fitting.

Matthew 11:28

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

I think when you go through your journey you need to take things one step at a time. But you can find peace.

Welcome.

The truth is that this is not foreign to you at all.   You existed as a spirit child of God before you came to earth to get your mortal body.  You accepted God's plan.   In order to learn here what you need to learn to return and live with your Heavenly Parents, and Savior, again, like you did before your mortal birth, there was a veil so that you do not recall that pre-existence.   But we get glimpses of it, as poet Williams Wordsworth and now, you, have recognized:  http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/ode-intimations-immortality-recollections-early-childhood

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting; The Soul that rises with us, our life’s Star,          Hath had elsewhere its setting               And cometh from afar;          Not in entire forgetfulness,          And not in utter nakedness,But trailing clouds of glory do we come                From God, who is our home:

You do not need to be afraid of the journey.    We are taught that the gospel incorporates all truth.   We are taught to learn about history and science and  everything about us.  Doctrine and Covenants 88:77-80   https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/88 

You do not have to leave behind any truth you have already learned.   You will come to know that some things you thought of as truth, aren't.   But scientists did that when they learned the earth revolved around the sun and not the other way around, or that the earth was round and not flat.    Or even when they learned that eating eggs wasn't as bad for the cholesterol that they thought it was.

Hi Kyle!

I'm so glad you're here!  Do you have a specific interest in Mormonism?  We're happy to answer any questions you have.  I loved reading about how prayer affected you. 

:)

I had a non-believing friend once ask me, "What if you live your whole life believing and living these commandments and when you die you find out there is no God and nothing after this life?   Think how disappointed you will be knowing it was a waste of time."

Well of course my obvious answer was "If there is nothng after this life how can I experience the disappointment if I no longer exist?"

Believing in a God and a life after this life is a safe bet. 

I have found life in the LDS Church to bring me true happiness and that it has a gospel that more closely agrees with the scriptures than any other church, and I have had my faith and belief in this gospel confirmed by the Holy Ghost in the same way as you did when you prayed.

Welcome, I am so glad that you found us.  I too know the feeling of a great weight being lifted from the power of prayer.  Please, share how you found this board and what compelled you to write your testimony .

Best wishes.

We have not heard from KHayes817 in 4 days, since he posted the OP... no response to any of the messages here... hmmm...

Hello?  Are you there?

GG