Seriously No Politics ×

Satan is the ultimate fall guy in LDS dogma. Has to be a Lucifier in any God's plan of salvation. Some Son of the Morning has to rebel. He is the ultimate bogy man.

Now pair this with the fact that we have no idea who the Holy Ghost is other than that He requires not having a physical body.

Satan is the ultimate fall guy in LDS dogma. Has to be a Lucifier in any God's plan of salvation. Some Son of the Morning has to rebel. He is the ultimate bogy man.

Perhaps, but I once heard Hartman Rector Jr. say that we give old Scratch too much credit.  We do a lot of those things because we want to.

A line from Kenngo1969's posts

"Devils are boring creatures with minds of gritty yuckiness.  They are banal." —The Nehor

The Devil or Satan gets nothing but bad press and where does all this bad PR come from?  It originates with Jesus and the bible.  But has anyone ever heard his side of the story?  No they haven't.  Old Satan may be a really nice guy if we were to get to know him.  According to LDS, one third of the hosts of Heaven followed him, he must have some good attributes.

Remember there's always another side of the story and we should get both sides before we condemn anyone.  But where do we get the other side of the story, I don't know, the Christian side always slams any other opinion than their own.  Well, I'm being a little silly on the subject but seriously I have thought of this item over the years and wondered how fair is it to never know Satan's side except as explained by the Christian followers who always condemn.

I love Terryl Given's take on this (Mormon Stories Podcast #2 ~Min 40): [The context is the horror that this world would present through men's free agency and a fallen world]:

TG: And I believe that one very possible reason why a third of the pre-existent intelligences rebelled at Christ plan, is because they said, "I can't live in a world where I have to countenance the rape of 8-year-old girls."

JD: What type of God casts out a third?

TG: I don't think he cast him out. I think that's being filtered through the language and world vision of the prophet speaking. I think those third simply rejected and repudiated their participation in that universe that God was presiding over. I don't think he casts anybody out.

This speaks to me.

Edited by SeekingUnderstanding

And yet, we are told, is that when Satan is bound, we shall live in relative peace without sin for a thousand years.

This idea is definitely filed under "I'll believe it when I see it" (along with the Law of Consecration ever working).

We all know Satan is a deciver. Its too easy to place him when hes running around holding a pitchfork and laughing manically.

Satan is at his best with good arguments

Imagine the council in heaven. "You love the spirit children dont you? You dont want to lose them...not a single one. What kind of person who would dare call himself divine would make a sick plan as this? "Etc. Etc.

Satans arguments would actually seem valid to a degree. It isnt the truth, but like most debates, he works off the fear and shortsightedness of people.

A line from Kenngo1969's posts

"Devils are boring creatures with minds of gritty yuckiness.  They are banal." 

The Devil or Satan gets nothing but bad press and where does all this bad PR come from?  It originates with Jesus and the bible.  But has anyone ever heard his side of the story?  No they haven't.  Old Satan may be a really nice guy if we were to get to know him.  According to LDS, one third of the hosts of Heaven followed him, he must have some good attributes.

Think of all the really horrible people that have lived on this earth and been able to murder millions of people (i'm not going to list them because one could lead to an invocation of Godwin's law and that's against board rules, but they are fairly obvious).   Then think of all of the people who followed them.

I hope that helps you to see how incredibly unreasonable the argument in bold is....

Remember there's always another side of the story and we should get both sides before we condemn anyone.  But where do we get the other side of the story, I don't know, the Christian side always slams any other opinion than their own.  Well, I'm being a little silly on the subject but seriously I have thought of this item over the years and wondered how fair is it to never know Satan's side except as explained by the Christian followers who always condemn.

What you are really saying is, maybe God and Christ are huge liars and truly evil beings and we're being duped by them, right?  That's what you are actually asking?

Because, that's the only reason that we would need to hear satan's side of the story.  Only if Christ is untrustworthy, would that be necessary.  Only if we can't trust Him, or God, and only if They want to deceive us would we be in danger of judging satan unfairly.

Lucifer is a scapegoat. Blaming him for our choices is ridiculous and shows how dumb we can be.