Seriously No Politics ×

How Are Converts Really Viewed

Thank you for all of your heart felt answers.  My mom converted when I was around six.  Maybe it was because I was so young or it was just meant to be but I always felt that I was at home in the church.  Even when my mother stopped going to church I tried to go as often as I could.  As I got older I was became inactive, but I always felt the Gospel and the Church has my true home.  Now, that I am older I am needing (in an almost urgent way) to be an active member again.  

I'm a covert of 44 year and am 64 years old. I haven't looked back once. Not that I'm without my faults and sins. I've got plenty. That being said we believe in repentance. I welcome you back with upon arms. :friends:

I am somewhat unique as I started attending the church to refute it for my doctoral dissertation, and was open about this to everyone from the start. They were shocked after eight months when I said I wanted to be baptised. :) I do think they treated me different from how I see most converts treated, as I had studied the history and doctrine thoroughly for my research.

Edited by bjw

I am somewhat unique as I started attending the church to refute it for my doctoral dissertation, and was open about this to everyone from the start. They were shocked after eight months when I said I wanted to be baptised. :) I do think they treated me different from how I see most converts treated, as I had studied the history and doctrine thoroughly for my research.

Wow, would absolutely love to hear "the rest of the story". :)

Wow, what part of the world are you from? Never heard of these labels put on converts, is it a common thing? I'm from Utah, so I know very few converts.

Ouch!  I am with you Tacenda..I have never heard of these. 

That's way interesting, Dude!  (What? :huh:  Oh; sorry.  Served my mission in SoCal.  Sometimes, I lapse into Californese. ;)  Where was I?)  Did you ever get a doctorate? If so, what in, and what was your dissertation on?

Edited by Kenngo1969

Wow, would absolutely love to hear "the rest of the story". :)

My idea was to refute the claims of Mormonism by showing it had nothing in common with ancient Christianity, but the more I studied was the more it was appearing that Mormonism was closer to ancient Christianity than any other denomination. I read the BoM all the way through, finishing after 8 months of going to church and research, and got on my knees and prayed to ask if it was true and I broke down in tears, then at church I asked to be baptised. The people at the ward were all shocked, and I asked the ward bishop who had been polite in answering my questions over the months to baptise me.

After several months they allowed me to be a sub when the Gospel Principles teacher was absent, so though I was a convert, they showed me a lot of trust. Also, my grandmother joined 6 months later, and my father initially turned his back on me since he was a good friend of Walter Martin and worked for his ministry at one time, and ten years later I was able to convince him of what I found and he gained a testimony and was baptised.

I will say Fair, Farms, and the forums here were a big help with my research and the spiritual struggle I was having at the time. I also discovered Nibley and several other authors who did a good job with apologetics.

That's way interesting, Dude!  (What? :huh:  Oh; sorry.  Served my mission in SoCal.  Sometimes, I lapse into Californese. ;)  Where was I?)  Did you ever get a doctorate? If so, what in, and what was your dissertation on?

Nope, after joining the church I dropped out of the program. It was an online program but I had to go on campus part time. I did live on the campus of a Christian college for 2 years but didn't care for it. I decided theology wasn't the career for me and majored in accounting, but became a math teacher. I guess you can never tell where life is going to take you. :)

Wow, Bobbieaware... I've never heard of such insensitive, idiotic tripe as you state here... and how dare you make such a disgusting sweeping generalization that "Lifetime members usually divide converts into three categories."  I agree with Tacenda... what part of the world do you come from... I'm a lifetime member and would never refer to converts so callously, and don't know anyone else that would... absolutely no one I know (and I'm 74 yrs old) has or would do so... 

If those you know who do this are kidding... it ain't funny... and I cringe that non-members reading your post would actually believe such unChristlike, insulting nonsense...

GG

Bobbieaware... I just reread this from my post #25 above... While I stand by my sentiment, I could have been a little less harsh in expressing it...

GG

Nope, after joining the church I dropped out of the program. It was an online program but I had to go on campus part time. I did live on the campus of a Christian college for 2 years but didn't care for it. I decided theology wasn't the career for me and majored in accounting, but became a math teacher. I guess you can never tell where life is going to take you. :)

You are, of course, entitled to as much privacy and anonymity as you wish to maintain.  Depending on your comfort level, however, I think your story would be worth telling in a venue such as, say, Meridian magazine. :)

You are, of course, entitled to as much privacy and anonymity as you wish to maintain.  Depending on your comfort level, however, I think your story would be worth telling in a venue such as, say, Meridian magazine. :)

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea, it would make an interesting article. I might look into maybe sending a condensed version of my testimony to get some thoughts.

My idea was to refute the claims of Mormonism by showing it had nothing in common with ancient Christianity, but the more I studied was the more it was appearing that Mormonism was closer to ancient Christianity than any other denomination. I read the BoM all the way through, finishing after 8 months of going to church and research, and got on my knees and prayed to ask if it was true and I broke down in tears, then at church I asked to be baptised. The people at the ward were all shocked, and I asked the ward bishop who had been polite in answering my questions over the months to baptise me.

After several months they allowed me to be a sub when the Gospel Principles teacher was absent, so though I was a convert, they showed me a lot of trust. Also, my grandmother joined 6 months later, and my father initially turned his back on me since he was a good friend of Walter Martin and worked for his ministry at one time, and ten years later I was able to convince him of what I found and he gained a testimony and was baptised.

I will say Fair, Farms, and the forums here were a big help with my research and the spiritual struggle I was having at the time. I also discovered Nibley and several other authors who did a good job with apologetics.

I've heard of stories similar. Maybe it was yours! :)

Something is working in the church, I know. But I just can't get over the hump with some things in church history.

If you'd like someone to look at it before you actually submit it, I'd be happy to volunteer my services.  Just a thought. :)  (You can PM me if you're amenable.)

Edited by Kenngo1969

... Something is working in the church, I know. But I just can't get over the hump with some things in church history.

Tacenda, I don't have a testimony of the history of the Church. ;)

http://publications.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/review/16/2/S00017-5176ad2f5804e17Bitton.pdf

Long-ish, and I know you prefer the spoken word, but it's well worth reading. :)

Converts are awesome! What a wonder that they are willing to be and do something new. Treating converts as something "less than" would never cross my mind. I think most people LOVE to hear their stories and are thrilled they joined the fold.

What tecenda and kenngo talk about here is interesting, because in my case it is sort of the reverse, I learned most controversial aspects of the history prior to joining, so I was more putting my trust in the doctrine itself than the people who developed it. There are a few things I learned later that bothered me, but not to the point to get me to leave the church. This is one reason I believe the church should put all the cards on the table and be as open as possible with the history, since I feel it would immunize the members from later losing their testimony over these things.

Greetings,

As a convert to the church I am wondering how those born in the faith generally feel toward converts.  I read once that it is the belief that those not born to LDS parents must have been less then worthy in the pre-mortal life.  Personally I have never felt slighted, but I can not help wondering.

Thank you for your time.

Converts are the life's blood to a faith based on restoration, many times coverts are serving as Bishops, Stake Presidents and even General Authorties. I am a convert and have served in all types of callings, many are surprised I am a convert. Not to mention the joy of finding something new and that joy that allows many to embrace the Gospel, while many who have always been members to take much for granted. But, when you find yourself struggling with doubts, many lifelong members don't know what to say, so they say nothing and friendships you thought were forever suddenly you find have a shelf life. But this is not limited to life long members, but converts as well.