Introduction

Hi everyone. I posted up on another thread regarding once saved always saved nd thought I should introduce myself to all on the forum.

To start off, I'm nor Mormon. About 4 years ago I met a missionary whom I have become friends with. After a number of discussions I've come to a place of openess with Mormons.

I'm looking forward to great discussions a d making friends of a different faith.

Gene (uggybendoggy)

Welcome to the discussion board.  Those who are members and those who are members of other churches and those with no religious affiliation are found here.  I don't think this site is representative of LDS people or beliefs, but it is representative of some LDS members and their personal beliefs.  Glad that you are here.

StormRider,

That sounds fantastic.  One of my caveats with my own church has been how little people are allowed to have their own thoughts or at the very least ask questions.  To be honest, it's a concern I have for the church of LDS.  Still, it's a concern I have for every religious institution.

One of the LDS fundamental doctrines or beliefs is a belief in personal revelation; that God talks directly to each individual and it is through the Holy Spirit that we gain an understanding/knowledge of God and truth.  We are truth seekers, regardless of where it is found, we should seek after it and embrace it.  

Prophets of God are called to serve.  When they speak as prophets their words are viewed as if God speaks; however, this does not happen regularly and when it does his/their words are recorded in scripture.  On the other hand, we believe that they, just as we, or you for that matter, can be inspired and led by the Holy Spirit.  

We do not have a formal group, body, or organization that declares what is and what is not doctrine.  For this reason you will find a broad range of ideas AFTER you get past the fundamental beliefs and teachings of the truth i.e. teachings that are not clearly defined in scripture.  Some prophets have said some things that are not found in scripture and are not recognized as formal doctrine, but play a role in LDS culture which some will believe as true and others will not.

I tend to think of it as a target for archery.  There is the bulls eye, doctrine that is fundamental for all.  The further you get out from the center the wider the variation of beliefs.  

The great thing on this Board is that you will always find someone with an opinion or a differing opinion.  Enjoy your search for truth while here. 

StormRider,

That sounds fantastic.  One of my caveats with my own church has been how little people are allowed to have their own thoughts or at the very least ask questions.  To be honest, it's a concern I have for the church of LDS.  Still, it's a concern I have for every religious institution.

Would you help us out by saying what church you belong to?

Stormrider,

Thanks for the breif summary of this board.  I'm more of a person who believes in reason.  If something does not make sense to me I don't accept it as truth.  However, I realize I'm in a minority on that amongst people of all religions.  Still, I believe God's given me some wisdom and understanding that not everything someone says is falst if they are in fact incorrect about other subject or even on a particular issue (learn to separate the good from the bad).

Stargazer, I'm currently at a non-denomination church, but one that is led by Christian Universalists.  Not all are Universalists but remain unconvinced.  I was raised in the tradition of the Free Methodist tradition.  Over the years, I've been influenced heavily by the Calvinist ideologies (not that I accept them all) but found Christian Universalism to be the most reasonable.  I actually connected with the Mormon missionaries because to so many Catholics and Protestants, we are seeing as heretics just as Mormons are.

Sunstoned, Thanks for the warm welcome and it's great to meet you too :)

Stargazer, I'm currently at a non-denomination church, but one that is led by Christian Universalists.  Not all are Universalists but remain unconvinced.  I was raised in the tradition of the Free Methodist tradition.  Over the years, I've been influenced heavily by the Calvinist ideologies (not that I accept them all) but found Christian Universalism to be the most reasonable.  I actually connected with the Mormon missionaries because to so many Catholics and Protestants, we are seeing as heretics just as Mormons are.

I get it... you see Mormons as "heretics"... so do you see the purpose of seeking to have "great discussions" here as trying to straighten out all of us ol' Mormon heretics?  Or are you operating under a view based on a few facts, lots of rumor, supposition, or misrepresentation of Mormon theology from questionable sources, etc., etc., etc.,

Don't get me wrong, I too extend a welcome to you... but it does give me pause when someone starts right off by calling us heretics, etc.

As long as you're introducing yourself, how about sharing a little more info about yourself, like area you're in, age group, special interests... i.e., whatever you feel comfortable sharing... oh yes, I always ask, are you a dog person or a cat person?

You state a concern with Mormons is whether we can ask questions or have a differing view... the longer you post here, you will see that while we share a set of core priciples and doctrine, we are individuals who indeed ask questions and may have differing levels of faith or views.

As for me, I'm probably one of the oldest posters on the Board... soon to be 75... widowed, no children... share my life with a 20-lb cat named Bob, in the wilds of the beautiful central Oregon coast...

And I do say, Welcome...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I have always rather enjoyed being called or thought of as a heretic by other churches and/or religions.  I think it feeds my rebellious nature.  

It will be great talking about things together.  I see a lot of similarities between Christian Universalists and LDS teaching.  I will look forward to your participation and comments.  

GG,

Nice to meet you too.  I never said Mormons are heretics.  I said, we Universalists are seeing by others as heretics just as they view Mormons.  No, I won't be straigtening out any Mormons any more than I can straighten myself out.  I doubt I have much to teach anyone.  My own thoughts are jumbled, confused and vauge.  There are some things I believe but not with the certainty that most people have.

Calmoriah,

"Auggybendoggy" is a character from a short film names Hardware Wars, a satire of Star Wars.  If you google it, you'll find a you tube video of it.  Auggybendoggy is Obi-wan Kenobi.

Welcome to the Board.

Sincerely,

Obi-wan Kenngobi :D:rofl::D

GG,

Nice to meet you too.  I never said Mormons are heretics.  I said, we Universalists are seeing by others as heretics just as they view Mormons.

Auggy, your writing is a bit confusing. It would be helpful perhaps to proofread before posting...you will be able to edit once you hit 25 posts.

For example, writing "are seeing by others as heretics" could be read as "are seeing others as heretics" or "are seen by others as heretics". Very different in meaning. I think your previous post did something similar which is why GG thought you were calling others heretics rather than saying that you are called a heretic like others.

Calmoriah,

I certainly am not a great writer and am learning more and more each day.  I doubt however that me proofreading will help :)  I do proof read.  when I said

"  I actually connected with the Mormon missionaries because to so many Catholics and Protestants, we are seeing as heretics just as Mormons are."

If this sounds like - "Mormons are heretics" - forgive me.  I suppose I could write something like:
I got along with the Mormon missionaries because we Universalists, like Mormons, are considered heretics by many Catholics and Protestans.

Just saying try to catch the typos and autocorrects that change the meaning significantly, like seen to seeing. If someone seems to be misunderstanding your post, that may be why. I keep leaving out "not" which really screws up what I mean. Thank goodness for edit...and you will be able to do that shortly. :)

The usual spelling and grammar errors are no big deal, everyone does those.

Edited by calmoriah

Just saying try to catch the typos and autocorrects that change the meaning significantly, like seen to seeing. If someone seems to be misunderstanding your post, that may be why. I keep leaving out "not" which really screws up what I mean. Thank goodness for edit...and you will be able to do that shortly. :)

The usual spelling and grammar errors are no big deal, everyone does those.

On the other hand, typographical errors like that make the board so much more interesting!  We get to go off on tangents and get embarrassed afterwards about jumping to conclusions and running around in circles chasing our tails.  Or at least, that's how I get most of my exercise these days!  :)