Seriously No Politics ×

Becoming A Chaplain

I have been thinking about going back to school to become a chaplain. I figure someone should get a theology/biblical studies degree. what is the best type of degree and how hard is it to get endorsed by the church? Does anyone have an idea of what schools I should stay away from. I would think that a lot of the education one would receive from a bible school wouldn't be applicable to someone that is Mormon.

I cannot vouch for all of the information contained here.  A quick Google search returned it, and I simply glanced at it.  It may have helpful information, however: http://ldschaplaincandidates.blogspot.com/

There was an article in DeseretNews awhile back on an LDS chaplain and iirc, it would have helpful information for you and would help confirm the legitimacy of the blog Ken has pointed to.  It might be linked to in Ken's link above.  If not, there is always google.   :)

Edited by calmoriah

So if you are LDS you can only be a chaplain if you are in the military? I have seasonal asthma, broke my back in four places when I was younger, and am 32. Military isn't an option.

I thought "Chaplains" were for the military... Is there anyone else that uses chaplains?  Where do you think chaplains are used? 

Perhaps chaplains don't have to go through the rigors associated with military service... perhaps they are simply hired to fill the ecclesiastical role for the general military body. 

GG

Hospitals, universities, nursing homes and now even businesses apparently use chaplains...read the articles as there is info there about a range of ways one can serve as a chaplain.

However, LDS may not receive special training in those areas all the time.  For example, iirc one couple were the institute directors before being invited to become chaplains.

Perhaps chaplains don't have to go through the rigors associated with military service... perhaps they are simply hired to fill the ecclesiastical role for the general military body. 

Many have to go into combat areas so I would be surprised if there weren't some significant physical requirements.