Seriously No Politics ×

Call For References On The Sacrament

I am going to be doing this a bit backwards. Most of the time somebody makes a claim, and then a CFR is issued. To help answer some questions I would like to make a statement and see if the board experts can support the claim(s) with any LDS authority (scriptures, GC talks, etc.).

Here are the statements:

1. When we take the sacrament we renew all of our covenants (temple, baptism, etc.).

2. The endowment is referenced, cited to, etc. in the sacrament ordinance.

TIA

A sister in my ward JUST talked about how taking the sacrament renews all of our covenants yesterday! Were you there?

I know she listed a reference for the quote but I don't remember what it was.

The reason for my question is that in a recent training, the leaders of the Church (The 12) said that President Monson and the First Presidency were praying recently to know what was the most vital thing to strengthen individuals and families: the answer was a greater emphasis on keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Naturally, the sacrament was a big part of the equation. 

The reason for my question is that in a recent training, the leaders of the Church (The 12) said that President Monson and the First Presidency were praying recently to know what was the most vital thing to strengthen individuals and families: the answer was a greater emphasis on keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Naturally, the sacrament was a big part of the equation. 

This is what Elder Oaks told us at our Stake conference two weeks ago as well.  Probably why our sacrament talks were on keeping the sabbath day holy.  

I am going to be doing this a bit backwards. Most of the time somebody makes a claim, and then a CFR is issued. To help answer some questions I would like to make a statement and see if the board experts can support the claim(s) with any LDS authority (scriptures, GC talks, etc.).

Here are the statements:

1. When we take the sacrament we renew all of our covenants (temple, baptism, etc.).

TIA

Since you're asking I assume you know what the answer to your question that was given in the training was.

I didn't see all of the training, so no I don't.

The answer from the training (was it Elder Cook?) was that the scriptures do not state that we renew our baptismal covenants when we partake of the sacrament.  They said that it's not wrong to say so, but it's not specifically stated.

My understanding from the training was that in taking upon us the name of Christ we renew all of the covenants that we've made.

The answer from the training (was it Elder Cook?) was that the scriptures do not state that we renew our baptismal covenants when we partake of the sacrament.  They said that it's not wrong to say so, but it's not specifically stated.

My understanding from the training was that in taking upon us the name of Christ we renew all of the covenants that we've made.

Good to know, thanks.

I would love to hears more quotes on this. I know it has been referenced before.

Good to know, thanks.

I would love to hears more quotes on this. I know it has been referenced before.

I don't have a copy of the presentation itself to refer to, only my notes.  But, if I remember correctly (notes not in front of me now) Elder Cook mentioned the thing about renewing covenants not mentioned in the scriptures. 

Elder Oaks spoke about how when we take upon us the name of Christ we promise to do our share of Christ's work.  I believe that he also spoke about how when we partake of the sacrament we can commit to renew all our covenants.  (I know one of the Twelve said this, and I'm pretty sure it was Elder Oaks.)

Here are the statements:

TIA

Perhaps the key words in Moroni 4:3 are  "they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them" -- perhaps meaning any and all covenants (commandments and laws agreed to) made by the member, young or old.  However, there are a great many unstated assumptions here, which are only implicit in the prayers of the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, which takes place on an exoteric altar (table), and which is actually an offering of the emblematic body & blood of Jesus Christ (the sacrificial Lamb of God), in memoriam.  The Sacramental hymns, which constitute a more detailed liturgy, carry a richer meaning than the brief words of the Sacramental Prayers.

The esoteric endowment is only implicit for those who have been endowed.

That the sacrament might renew ALL covenants including those in the temple is new to me, but what I have been sure about is that the Sacrament is specifically tied to the Atonement, and that when we partake of the Sacrament worthily it is as if we are baptized anew, with our sins committed since the last time we partook of it forgiven. 

I don't see the necessity for renewing temple covenants.  Those covenants are NOT salvific, but pertain to exaltation.  Since exaltation is contingent upon repentance and forgiveness of sins, there is no point in "renewing" them.  Once done, they are done.  But we must be constantly repenting, since we are constantly sinning -- even if we are reducing the sins per day rate over time.  Thus we need forgiveness on a daily basis, and thus we partake (indeed MUST partake) of the Sacrament weekly.  Think of it, if you never return to the temple after receiving the endowment, so what?  Lots of people who had to save up for years to do it only did it once.  But we are admonished to take the Sacrament as frequently as we can. 

I got to go to bed now, but I will try to find a reference for the Sacrament, at least.  Tomorrow.

I don't have a copy of the presentation itself to refer to, only my notes.  But, if I remember correctly (notes not in front of me now) Elder Cook mentioned the thing about renewing covenants not mentioned in the scriptures. 

Elder Oaks spoke about how when we take upon us the name of Christ we promise to do our share of Christ's work.  I believe that he also spoke about how when we partake of the sacrament we can commit to renew all our covenants.  (I know one of the Twelve said this, and I'm pretty sure it was Elder Oaks.)

I was in the training this past Sunday, and I recall hearing the same thing.  I wasn't taking notes, but my wife was.  I'll have to ask her, if she caught this part.  The statements about renewing all of our covenants when we partake of the Sacrament was also couched within additional remarks about the Sacrament being the only ordinance that we get to repeat "for ourselves."

Anyone remember Elder Bednar's April 2009 conference talk "Honorably Hold a Name and Standing" in which he quoted Alma 26:5?

“Behold, the field was ripe, and blessed are ye, for ye did thrust in the sickle, and did reap with your might, yea, all the day long did ye labor; and behold the number of your sheaves! And they shall be gathered into the garners, that they are not wasted.”

Bednar's point was the sheaves are gathered into the church but it is not until they are secured into the garners (meaning temples) do they obtain the greatest blessings.  He said the Sacrament Prayer indicates our willingness to take on the name of Christ but that does not happen until we go to the temple where we actually take on the name of Christ.  When we serve in the temple, we act in the name of (or in emulation of) the Savior.  I would think this is renewed every time we go to the temple.

Anyone remember Elder Bednar's April 2009 conference talk "Honorably Hold a Name and Standing" in which he quoted Alma 26:5?

“Behold, the field was ripe, and blessed are ye, for ye did thrust in the sickle, and did reap with your might, yea, all the day long did ye labor; and behold the number of your sheaves! And they shall be gathered into the garners, that they are not wasted.”

Bednar's point was the sheaves are gathered into the church but it is not until they are secured into the garners (meaning temples) do they obtain the greatest blessings.  He said the Sacrament Prayer indicates our willingness to take on the name of Christ but that does not happen until we go to the temple where we actually take on the name of Christ.  When we serve in the temple, we act in the name of (or in emulation of) the Savior.  I would think this is renewed every time we go to the temple.

Excepting that in the temple, after we receive our own ordinances, we are always acting in the place of another person.  Therefore we are not involved in any ordinance on our own behalf that could renew covenants.  The sacrament is the only ordinance that we repeat in our lifetime for our own behalf (as Okrahomer pointed out above). 

Excepting that in the temple, after we receive our own ordinances, we are always acting in the place of another person.  Therefore we are not involved in any ordinance on our own behalf that could renew covenants.  The sacrament is the only ordinance that we repeat in our lifetime for our own behalf (as Okrahomer pointed out above).

True but that is not the only thing occurring in the temple. Blessings are continually given from faithful attendance. Bednar asked questions of General Authorities and Temple Presidents and learned this:

As I listened to their answers, I discovered a consistent theme that I would summarize

as follows: “I have come to understand better the protection available through our temple

covenants and what it means to make an acceptable offering of temple worship. There is

a difference between church-attending, tithe-paying members who occasionally rush into

the temple to go through a session and those members who faithfully and consistently

worship in the temple.”

The similarity of their answers impressed me greatly. Each response to my question

focused upon the protecting power of the ordinances and covenants available in the

house of the Lord. Their answers precisely paralleled the promises contained in the

dedicatory prayer offered upon the Kirtland Temple in 1836:

“We ask thee, Holy Father, to establish the people that shall worship, and honorably

hold a name and standing in this thy house, to all generations and for eternity;

“That no weapon formed against them shall prosper; that he who diggeth a pit for them

shall fall into the same himself; (see D&C 109:24–28).

The Sacrament is an important and sacred ordinance that is renewed every week. The blessing of the Atonement is applied incrementally as we repent and grow in the Gospel (the Atonement is NOT applied all at once at the end of life). Similarly as we serve in the temple regularly in emulation of the Savior, we receive further insights, deepening conviction, and greater determination to honor the Lord by living a Christlike life.

Question:  would not continued and regular service at the temple lead to a new ordinance?  Called the "Second Anointing" ?  I am not really familiar with this although I have seen a few discussions about it on this board.

Edited by longview

True but that is not the only thing occurring in the temple. Blessings are continually given from faithful attendance. Bednar asked questions of General Authorities and Temple Presidents and learned this:

As I listened to their answers, I discovered a consistent theme that I would summarize

as follows: “I have come to understand better the protection available through our temple

covenants and what it means to make an acceptable offering of temple worship. There is

a difference between church-attending, tithe-paying members who occasionally rush into

the temple to go through a session and those members who faithfully and consistently

worship in the temple.”

The similarity of their answers impressed me greatly. Each response to my question

focused upon the protecting power of the ordinances and covenants available in the

house of the Lord. Their answers precisely paralleled the promises contained in the

dedicatory prayer offered upon the Kirtland Temple in 1836:

“We ask thee, Holy Father, to establish the people that shall worship, and honorably

hold a name and standing in this thy house, to all generations and for eternity;

“That no weapon formed against them shall prosper; that he who diggeth a pit for them

shall fall into the same himself; (see D&C 109:24–28).

The Sacrament is an important and sacred ordinance that is renewed every week. The blessing of the Atonement is applied incrementally as we repent and grow in the Gospel (the Atonement is NOT applied all at once at the end of life). Similarly as we serve in the temple regularly in emulation of the Savior, we receive further insights, deepening conviction, and greater determination to honor the Lord by living a Christlike life.

Question:  would not continued and regular service at the temple lead to a new ordinance?  Called the "Second Anointing" ?  I am not really familiar with this although I have seen a few discussions about it on this board.

I think my point here is that covenants are always attended by ordinances.  When we attend temple as a proxy for another we are blessed, but we perform no ordinances on our own behalf, so no covenants (either made or renewed).  The ordinance of the sacrament that we partake of each week is our opportunity to renew the covenants that we have made.

I think my point here is that covenants are always attended by ordinances.  When we attend temple as a proxy for another we are blessed, but we perform no ordinances on our own behalf, so no covenants (either made or renewed).  The ordinance of the sacrament that we partake of each week is our opportunity to renew the covenants that we have made.

Can't argue with any of your points.  Partaking of the Sacrament is critical part of our discipleship.  Whether it is the "Baptismal Covenant" that is renewed in the Sacrament or all the ordinances are renewed.  I am not sure but at least the baptismal is renewed.  Can we agree that we obtain a greater measure of refinement and exaltation from greater devotion to temple attendance?