Of Butterflies And Sinners...

A thought as I woke up this morning:

When we see a beautiful butterfly, we wonder at its beauty and marvel at the miracle of what is was compared to what it has become- we don't say, with disgust, "Ugh, stop flying, you are nothing but a glorified worm. That is all you really are and will be!"

Why do we so often struggle to do the same for people who have gone through great trial and committed great sin, but through repentance have emerged a new creature, blessed with beautiful spiritual wings given by God? 

Let us rejoice in a vile sinner saved in the same way we rejoice when seeing a beautiful butterfly after it has emerged from its cocoon!

coolie_butterfly-1525765.jpg

Your thought prompted me to go search for poems I've collected from my mother over the years.  She won a poetry competition many years ago for a poem she wrote about monarch butterfiles, which used to migrate through our part of Oklahoma every year.

A key phrase from her poem refers to a "furry earth bound worm" enetering into a "chyrsalis tomb" in order to be reborn--a Queen!

A FB friend of mine (not a real life friend however) shared this post from your FB page.

Social media is a much smaller world than we think sometimes...

The worst thing about this attitude of condemning and condescending others especially those who have overcome trials or sins is that it happens among the saints - it happens in every ward or branch all over the world and many a member has left the church because of it. From my own observations I think this attitude is more prevalent among those born-into the church than converts. I think they are too indoctrinated with 'mormon-culture' than latter-day saint culture - 'mormon-culture' to me refers to the traditions that were created and carried on by the pioneer saints and their prosperity which continued with the earlier prophets - things like not drinking coke and being clean shaven and don't marry outside of your race etc etc were the kind of teachings perpetuated by this cultural traditionalism - today however the church is very different and very accepting of all kinds of cultures and races - priesthood leaders wear beards or don't, have dreadlocks or bald heads or afros or not, drink coke or don't - marry whomever they choose. Latter-day saint culture to me is christian culture: brotherly kindness, tolerance, forgiveness, long suffering, etc. Wherever members are unkind or condescending to those who have overcome trials or serious sins you will find an older or born-into-the-church member at the root of the ill-feeling.

... Wherever members are unkind or condescending to those who have overcome trials or serious sins you will find an older or born-into-the-church member at the root of the ill-feeling.

I don't wish to sow contention: you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and your experiences are your experiences, but that's a gross overgeneralization, and it smacks of "Dear Lord, I thank thee that I am not as other men."  Just sayin'! ;)