Episcopal-Mormon Dialogue?

Greetings, friends. I am an Episcopalian and a journalist for The Living Church magazine. I wrote this post today for our weblog, Covenant.

I invite you to read it and comment on it at our Facebook page or simply among yourselves. I'm not invested emotionally in whether your comments are supportive or critical. I simply would like you to know that at least a few Episcopalians have considered this subject.

I believe the topic of continuing revelation would be ripe for honest interfaith discussion between Episcopalians and Latter-day Saints.

All best wishes,

Douglas LeBlanc

Hello Douglas, thank you for sharing the article.  What I never fail to forget is that our Church shares the all-important focus of Jesus Christ with all other churches that recognize him as the Son of God and member of the Godhead.  When Jesus is held in common, how can we not feel some degree of kinship with these other religious groups?  

The concept of continuing revelation and the commonality we share with Episcopalians should be recognized more fully by both groups.  Thank you for being an instrument to focus others on this important teaching.  I would hope in the future there could be a more official relationship between our two churches.  It surprises me that your church would feel comfortable maintaining an official relationship with Muslims and Jews while continuing to ignore the Church of Jesus Christ.  Both of our organizations can do silly things, but that is what can motivate us to draw closer to the Savior and remember that he is our Lord and Savior.  He recognizes all who love him, seek to follow after him, and do his will.  

God bless you,

Back in 1986, David Whitaker and John Welch put out an essay called "Mormonism's Open Canon: Thoughts on Its Religious Limits and Potentials" which itself was a response to an essay by W. D. Davies in a festschrift for Kirster Stendahl, who some years previously had written about 3 Nephi for an interfaith discussion organized by Truman Madsen.

http://publications.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/PreliminaryReports/Set%205/Prelim%20Rep/Welch%20and%20Whittaker,%20Mormonisms%20Open%20Canon,%201986.pdf

(Kudos to the Maxwell Institute for putting up pdfs of the Preliminary reports.  Just notice that when you want to look at them, you have to link on the pdf icon to view it.)

Welcome to the discussion.

Best,

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburgh, PA

Wonderful. I'm aware that our friends David Bokovoy and Don Bradley attended Mass on Easter Sunday rather than watch LDS Conference on Sunday morning.

What does this tell us exactly? Do you bring it up as an example of the beginning of the type of dialogue being encouraged here, or is it just an example of how Mormons have in the past and do still today find worth and spirituality in other faiths?

Greetings, friends. I am an Episcopalian and a journalist for The Living Church magazine. I wrote this post today for our weblog, Covenant.

I invite you to read it and comment on it at our Facebook page or simply among yourselves. I'm not invested emotionally in whether your comments are supportive or critical. I simply would like you to know that at least a few Episcopalians have considered this subject.

I believe the topic of continuing revelation would be ripe for honest interfaith discussion between Episcopalians and Latter-day Saints.

All best wishes,

Douglas LeBlanc

Welcome to the glass menagerie. :)

As to your article in The Living Church magazine from my LDS standpoint. We are very much Christians though obviously not your variety. The LDS Book of Mormon declares monogamy as the standard unless God commands otherwise. Polygamy is still in our Scriptures which include the Bible. Its earthly practice has been sharply curtailed and we don't marry or Seal a person to two living mates without a dissolution of Sealing. Regarding the extension of Priesthood to all worthy male members  it was long prophesied and in 1978 was fulfilled.

Edited by thesometimesaint

What does this tell us exactly? Do you bring it up as an example of the beginning of the type of dialogue being encouraged here, or is it just an example of how Mormons have in the past and do still today find worth and spirituality in other faiths?

I believe they wanted a service that specifically dealt with the Last Week. The Mass, not just the sermon, is meant to deepen the raw spiritual connection between Creator and the created through the revelation that is Jesus Christ. The epiklesis and anamnesis draw on the transformative power of God to renew creation and reconcile creation unto him through the parakletos. The LDS sacrament doesn't do this. It has a different meaning.

I believe they wanted a service that specifically dealt with the Last Week. The Mass, not just the sermon, is meant to deepen the raw spiritual connection between Creator and the created through the revelation that is Jesus Christ. The epiklesis and anamnesis draw on the transformative power of God to renew creation and reconcile creation unto him through the parakletos. The LDS sacrament doesn't do this. It has a different meaning.

I guess I missed that in the OP. I thought delouisleblanc was just asking for responses to his article in order to encourage dialogue between Episcopalians and Mormons. I didn't see it as call to participate in the Easter Mass, but I agree that if the Mass did indeed deepen their connection to the Creator, then it was worthwhile. I will say that LDS General Conference was very spiritually uplifting to me personally and certainly served to deepen my personal connection to the Savior.