Seriously No Politics ×

Our Purpose In The After Life?

What is our purpose in the after life? Not where we are going when we are dead, but what meaning or purpose will we have in the after life? We will be there for ever and ever and ever so what will we do with all that endless time?

Our purpose will be the same as Heavenly Father's. 

Moses 1: 39 For behold, this is my awork and my bgloryto bring to pass the cimmortality and deternal elife of man.

I would think that we would be creating more worlds, more people to bring to immortality.

Abraham 3: 21 I dwell in the midst of them all; I now, therefore, have come down unto thee to declare unto thee the aworks which my hands have made, wherein mybwisdom excelleth them all, for I crule in the heavens above, and in the earth beneath, in all wisdom and prudence, over all the intelligences thine eyes have seen from the beginning; I came down in the beginning in the midst of all the intelligences thou hast seen.

24 And there stood aone among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and bwe will make an earth whereon these may cdwell;

Rod beat me to it and he is exactly right.

The only thing I would add is that our additional purpose is to continue learning and progressing until we move to a higher order of kingdoms (D&C 130).

The only thing I would add is that our additional purpose is to continue learning and progressing until we move to a higher order of kingdoms (D&C 130).

I agree.  But, I'm not sure all members (or even leaders) agree that we can move or progress to a higher order of kingdoms,  Can you clarify what you mean?

Could the question of what the spirits or the people did in the preexistence that supposedly lasted for hundreds or thousands of years or forever be added to the OP?

Sure, we were doing the same thing

Abraham 3: 25 And we will aprove them herewith, to see if they will bdo all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

26 And they who akeep their first bestate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second cestate shall have dglory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

22 Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the aintelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of thebnoble and great ones;
  23 And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast achosen before thou wast born.
Edited by rodheadlee

What is our purpose in the after life? Not where we are going when we are dead, but what meaning or purpose will we have in the after life? We will be there for ever and ever and ever so what will we do with all that endless time?

I think our purpose will be to continue to live, move, and have our being, according to our own will (Acts 17: 28, Mosiah 2: 21, D&C 45: 1). This is joy, and the purpose of our existence (2 Nephi 2:25). The resources we will have to do these things will be greatly expanded by the Lord’s gift of immortality, including the removal of the veil and leveraging any advantage of knowledge and intelligence we have gained in this life through our dilligence and obedience (D&C 130:19).

Edited by CV75

I agree.  But, I'm not sure all members (or even leaders) agree that we can move or progress to a higher order of kingdoms,  Can you clarify what you mean?

Exactly what the scripture said.  That after entering our Celestial society a higher order of kingdoms is made known to us.  Progression is eternal.

Whether Kingdom hopping is possible or not (different opinions have been given on the matter, but no revealed doctrine) I still believe that many will be involved in the labor even if they are not the head couple. I'm sure the work of creating and preparing a world has enough work that other individuals of a lesser glory can be involved to assist.

While bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life is Heavenly Father's and Mother's work*, I also do not believe it is their only work. I am pretty confident that there are plenty of activities and purposes that pertain to realms and spheres beyond our little mortal planet or planets. But, not being germane to us, God has not revealed them or even a hint of them. We ought not to be so conceited to think we are the center of everything God does and all their purposes.

I agreed we have differing ideas about what Eternal Progression means. To me if there is Eternal Progression it applies to all. There is no final arrival into a higher kingdom because they will be eternally progressing too.

SEE https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/130.18?lang=eng

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

I love my family and all, but maybe I'd like to be reincarnated.

I can't see any appeal in being a bug or even a dog.

And the percentage of human beings that have relatively comfortable lives compared to those who do not is tilted enough I'd rather not take my changes.  Reincarnation is not always an improvement of situation.

One time through as a human being is more than enough for me.

I can't see any appeal in being a bug or even a dog.

And the percentage of human beings that have relatively comfortable lives compared to those who do not is tilted enough I'd rather not take my changes. Reincarnation is not always an improvement of situation.

One time through as a human being is more than enough for me.

That wouldn't be good to be a bug, lol.

Lostone, this question is significant; I find that few religions offer as complex a response as that offered by the Church of Jesus Christ.  God is fundamentally creative - he creates, he populates worlds without number.  His sole purpose for all creation and providing a mortal experience whereby mortals are provided the opportunity to choose who they will follow is to offer each of his children the opportunity to become like him.  

Some explain this process of becoming like him with descriptions of also participating in the creative process with God; others simply state that we will have eternal life; others will say that we become one with God.  I can appreciate each of these statements, but I always remember that human words cannot come close to describing God and what he has in store for us.  As disciples of Christ we follow after him; I suspect that we will be following him for all eternity.  

I am going to use my unlimited power to be happy and have fun and experience a lot of pleasure and share it with everyone else.

If you have no idea what you could do with that kind of life I feel sorry for you. :(