Seriously No Politics ×

Mormons Lead The Way In Family Size, % Married

smac97

Here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865628480/Mormon-families-are-Americas-largest-new-study-finds.html?pg=all

Some quotes:

The 2014 U.S. Religious Landscape Study reported that 66 percent of LDS adults are married, significantly higher than Hindis (60 percent) and Jews (56 percent).

Wow! Here's the graphic:

1535047.jpg

The Pew Research Center interviewed more than 35,000 Americans for the study, a follow-up to its first religious landscape study in 2007. Due to the massive sample size, the study's margin for error was plus or minus 0.6 percent.

The new study found that the average number of children ever born to Mormons now between the ages of 40 and 59 is 3.4. The idea behind looking at that age group is to capture what the researchers called "completed fertility."

This seems like pretty valuable data.

The LDS average was well above the next closest groups. The average number of children born to members of historically black Protestant churches was 2.5. Next were Catholics and evangelicals at 2.3.

Wow! I thought the stereotype about Catholic fecundity was based on some anecdotal-but-ultimately-borne-out-by-statistical information. I guess not. Check out the graphic:

1535044.jpg

Read the whole thing.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Smac

Interesting that Mormons and Black Protestants are the only ones above replacement number, with Catholic and Evangelicals just at replacement numbers. The others not at replacement numbers that would portend a long term decline in membership without added conversions.

Every missionary needs to tuck that bit of information into their scriptures!  This is a big seller of the LDS church, IMO.  It must be our weekly teachings on family, I'm guessing.  I think there are plenty out there that want that.   

The good news is that we're sitting on top. The bad news is that the water-level is dropping for everyone.

The Pew Report shows that LDS marriage rates have actually dropped 5% over the past 7 years (from 71% to 66%) and that our rate of never marrieds has gone up from 12% to 19%. And all of this at a time when the average age of an LDS member has actually increased. The report shows that the overall average marriage rate for all religious groups has gone down from 54% to 48% since 2007. (http://www.pewforum.org/files/2015/05/Appendix-D-Detailed-Tables.pdf) So we haven't really done any better than other faiths during the past 7 years. We just started at a higher mark, but we still fell the same amount.

The good news is that we're sitting on top. The bad news is that the water-level is dropping for everyone.

The Pew Report shows that LDS marriage rates have actually dropped 5% over the past 7 years (from 71% to 66%) and that our rate of never marrieds has gone up from 12% to 19%. And all of this at a time when the average age of an LDS member has actually increased. The report shows that the overall average marriage rate for all religious groups has gone down from 54% to 48% since 2007. (http://www.pewforum.org/files/2015/05/Appendix-D-Detailed-Tables.pdf) So we haven't really done any better than other faiths during the past 7 years. We just started at a higher mark, but we still fell the same amount.

My fault.......sorry :(

Fascinating info. What also struck me were the % of never married Muslims and Buddhists. What is it about those cultures than results in those numbers?

Less partners available?  One should see what the marriage rate is in areas where there are large concentrations, including other countries.

Would be interesting to have the male/female statistics on those.

Would be interesting to have the male/female statistics on those.

Given that we only allow opposite sex marriage, I would assume that our percentages of never-marrieds approximates our overall ratio of males-to-females. In 2007, the ratio was 44% male 56% female. In 2014 the ratio was 46% male 54% female.

Granted, it's possible that there is a difference in the genders regarding the percentage of divorcess/widowed who remarry, but if so, that difference seems to be declining because the percentage of divorcees/widows went from 9% in 2007 to 7% in 2014.

** Note, all of this assumes the accuracy of the Pew data, of course.

It could be that I am myopic , but I think the never married group are influenced by economics to a large extent. Fewer young people can afford a home plus all the amenities expected. It's possible that they are less willing to live with ' less ' than 4 decades ago. Living on one income is very difficult today. The laws on paid family leave are not conducive to family life. For the secularly unfazed of you, I recently watched a John Oliver rant about the hypocrisy of US support for working mothers. Not for the pure of heart but he does make some very salient points.

It could be that I am myopic , but I think the never married group are influenced by economics to a large extent. Fewer young people can afford a home plus all the amenities expected. It's possible that they are less willing to live with ' less ' than 4 decades ago. Living on one income is very difficult today. The laws on paid family leave are not conducive to family life. For the secularly unfazed of you, I recently watched a John Oliver rant about the hypocrisy of US support for working mothers. Not for the pure of heart but he does make some very salient points.

John Oliver is one of the few real journalists left in this country and that is kind of sad.

At least they sound smart. When they report on American events there doesn't seem to be a left/right bias.

There is sometimes some but they thankfully avoid the American love of getting two morons on screen with opposing views to disagree with each other and pretend that qualifies as journalism.

Archived