Long Haul Trucking: Scam?

rongo

I was just called again as a bishop (after a three year break) in another ward. I have a sensitive situation that I need some background on . . .

Years ago, when the economy was really bad, I saw an add for long haul truckers and it looked really good. $40,000 a year starting, trucking school paid off with one year service. The downside was six days a week driving all over the country.

Switching gears (pun intended) . . .

It seems to me based on people who are living it that it is not as advertised. When I was little, my mom found a work-from-home job making oven mitts. They sent the pattern, and she was to make a sample and send it in for inspection. None were ever accepted, no matter what (my mom was amazing, and they looked store-bought) --- and my mom bore the cost of materials. The company got several really good oven mitts without paying her a dime.

Similarly, I have a father who left his job to do one of these trucking things. He ended up being in school much longer than represented, and the extra school was all unpaid. The pay is also well under what was advertised, and he never has any time off (according to him --- there is reason to suspect that there is a possibility that he is not being exactly truthful).

So, I'm wondering what people who have experience with this know. Am I correct that the pay is somewhat decent, and that one should be home at least one day a week?

Thanks in advance!

I should also mention that he hasn't been home since mid December, and wasn't going to attend his daughter's sealing in Idaho (but did make it at the last minute). Supposedly, he absolutely can't get any time off at all. His remittances to his family (youngest is nine) amount to about $100 a week, but the wife thinks that he is squirreling some of it away. 

If you want to see, just ask him for his log.  He has to individually log everywhere and when he stops and where.   Yes, it is true that some companies with long haul send someone all around the country.   But he is given time off or his company is violating the law (it just may not be anywhere near home).  (It may be that he has bound himself to a contract where he is an independent contractor and has to work as much as is possible within the regulations so he can afford the contract.)  

Truck drivers are in demand at the moment.  Someone could help him look for a new outfit with better benefits.   Several companies are trying to get drivers home more because they recognize that  is one of the reasons drivers quit.

And if you can help him get a device so he can skype with his family, that would help a great deal in preserving the relationships.   Also, he probably has time to attend some church every week.   Figure out a way for him to get the info on a meeting wherever he is.

And yes, the trucking school may have been at least scammy, though not necessarily a fraud.    Truck driving isn't easy, and some people don't have the knack for it, even though they like the freedom and the adventure.

New drivers also have the worst routes in every company.

And some drivers get paid at the end of months, rather than runs.   In the meantime, he has to pay all the costs up front.   And if he "owns" his truck and doesn't budget well (which people just starting out have a particularly hard time with) he could be low on cash.   See if he's willing to do some direct deposit.

Edited by rpn

I was just called again as a bishop (after a three year break) in another ward. I have a sensitive situation that I need some background on . . .

Years ago, when the economy was really bad, I saw an add for long haul truckers and it looked really good. $40,000 a year starting, trucking school paid off with one year service. The downside was six days a week driving all over the country.

Switching gears (pun intended) . . .

It seems to me based on people who are living it that it is not as advertised. When I was little, my mom found a work-from-home job making oven mitts. They sent the pattern, and she was to make a sample and send it in for inspection. None were ever accepted, no matter what (my mom was amazing, and they looked store-bought) --- and my mom bore the cost of materials. The company got several really good oven mitts without paying her a dime.

Similarly, I have a father who left his job to do one of these trucking things. He ended up being in school much longer than represented, and the extra school was all unpaid. The pay is also well under what was advertised, and he never has any time off (according to him --- there is reason to suspect that there is a possibility that he is not being exactly truthful).

So, I'm wondering what people who have experience with this know. Am I correct that the pay is somewhat decent, and that one should be home at least one day a week?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to see, just ask him for his log.  He has to individually log everywhere and when he stops and where.   Yes, it is true that some companies with long haul send someone all around the country.   But he is given time off or his company is violating the law (it just may not be anywhere near home).  (It may be that he has bound himself to a contract where he is an independent contractor and has to work as much as is possible within the regulations so he can afford the contract.)  

Truck drivers are in demand at the moment.  Someone could help him look for a new outfit with better benefits.   Several companies are trying to get drivers home more because they recognize that  is one of the reasons drivers quit.

And if you can help him get a device so he can skype with his family, that would help a great deal in preserving the relationships.   Also, he probably has time to attend some church every week.   Figure out a way for him to get the info on a meeting wherever he is.

$40,000 is lousy pay in 2015, and long haul gets you home every few months even if the company is regional. What company are we talking about? We need a Class A driver in Portland, OR. Home every night of the week. $55-60,000 depending on willingness to work overtime.  And nobody is applying. I don't know why anybody would go over the road for 40K.

Edited by 3DOP

My son Jason's dream job was always Long Haul Trucker.  He finally got his wish, and was provisionally hired by a Utah-based company.  They sent him to a trucking school, for which they paid the lion's share (or all) of it, but that he was to pay back over time once he graduated and started work.  I don't remember the name of the company, but it was a multi-state outfit.  They ended up sending him everywhere.  He was supposed to get a certain amount of time off, but it seemed like they were either not capable of granting, or didn't want to grant him all of the time he was supposed to have off.  He put up with it until he paid back the trucking school charges and some time thereafter, but finally quit them and started with another company.  It has been four or five years by this point and he has worked for more than five companies, and all of these companies seemed to be running him ragged, even after promising decent time off.  Now, he finally works for a company that pretty much only operates in Washington state and he finally gets enough time home.  He has two lovely little daughters that he was missing growing up, but I think he has finally found his trucking home.  I don't know if the pay and benefits have matched my son's expectations -- I've been mainly worried that he stayed employed! 

If you're Dad is complaining he never gets time off, well, I can believe it.  As to rest I can't comment.

It is a difficult way to make a living but some people love it.   You don't get paid unless you are moving and the laws are starting to dramatically reduce the number of hours you can drive in any given week.    You don't see your family much either.

I know some people who do it and love it and others who do it and hate it.    I have some friends who are doing it as a semi-retirement gig to see North American.  They drive as a husband and wife team.

I don't think the driving is necessarily the bad part but as someone who has worked in the industry you do deal with some interesting characters.  choose your employer carefully because there are lots of companies know for dishonesty and chewing up and spitting out their employees.