Seriously No Politics ×

What Do Or Should We Follow?

LOSTONE

What do or should we follow? The old or new testament? My first thought would be to follow both, but there are cases where they don’t match each other and open up a situation of what one to follow. Any thoughts?

There are prophecies in the Old testament that have not been fulfilled as of yet, and there are edicts such as the Ten Commandments that predate the Mosaic Law that should still be binding on us. However, the observance of the Mosaic law is no longer required, as it was fulfilled by Christ.

There are also many things that we can learn from the Old Testament. Things that we can take away as being something not to do, and things that we can take away as being things we should do. The New Testament, as far as it goes, should be part of our guiding light (along with latter-day revelations and scripture). My opinion, of course.

Glenn

There are prophecies in the Old testament that have not been fulfilled as of yet, and there are edicts such as the Ten Commandments that predate the Mosaic Law that should still be binding on us. However, the observance of the Mosaic law is no longer required, as it was fulfilled by Christ.

There are also many things that we can learn from the Old Testament. Things that we can take away as being something not to do, and things that we can take away as being things we should do. The New Testament, as far as it goes, should be part of our guiding light (along with latter-day revelations and scripture). My opinion, of course.

Glenn

Interesting...

So what is your standard of what commandments we should keep?

We do what the Savior said:

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Not trying to be rude or offensive here, but did I somehow not ask my question clearly or made it misleading into another direction? My question was what testament to follow, the old one or new one. Thx.

They answered that both are testaments to follow, even I got that! ;)

What happens when the old testament and new testament have conflicting statements towards each other? Than what do we do?

What happens when the old testament and new testament have conflicting statements towards each other? Than what do we do?

They don't.

Which statements are you referring to?

We know full well that Christ's covenant supplanted the old covenant, so the New Covenant would be the one we follow.  But as for which book of scripture, we follow both, always going with the greater light and the higher laws.

Take it with a grain of salt, both come from mostly men.  That's the only way I guess we can get around it.  These are old books of pretty much journals, if you think about it.  Or historical records.  With mixed in personal insights or maybe revelations.  I think a lot of what's in the bible are parables to help our beliefs stick with a God.  But all I need mostly, is to look around at the wonders of the world and believe there is a higher being.  I believe a lot of what comes out of the bible and other scripture can be dangerous IMO.  I strongly adhere to our moral compass.  I hope everyone has that at birth and they don't have it destroyed through mankind, but it can be regained.  LostOne, look inward, look really hard, you have God inside of you, IMO.  And whatever you glean from outside that is good keep, what ever you glean that is harmful, get rid of.  No one knows for a surety that what is in a church or the scriptures is from where it says it comes from.  It's up to you!  Just remember to follow the first two commandments, then everything will fall into place, IMO.      

You are going to have to me more specific. I find no conflict.

What do or should we follow? The old or new testament? My first thought would be to follow both, but there are cases where they don’t match each other and open up a situation of what one to follow. Any thoughts?

An example would be helpful.

But maybe it will help to look at it as the Old Testament is the New Testament concealed, and the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed. What is revealed in the New, fulfills what is in the Old. What is fulfilled changes the practices between the Old and New. So start there. Is there a contradiction, or did the Revelation of Jesus Christ fulfill a purpose of a practice, and did He institute something new?

Start with the center, Jesus Christ.

Thank you all ! You guys are awesome ! The insights being shared on this matter really is helping me better understand things. I just wish I was smarter so I wouldn’t have to post such 1st grade stuff. Thx again. :acute:

Thank you all ! You guys are awesome ! The insights being shared on this matter really is helping me better understand things. I just wish I was smarter so I wouldn’t have to post such 1st grade stuff. Thx again. :acute:

Your sarcasm is unwarranted and unfair. We have asked you to clarify what you believe are conflicts between the 2 Testaments so we can better answer your question. 

Your sarcasm is unwarranted and unfair. We have asked you to clarify what you believe are conflicts between the 2 Testaments so we can better answer your question. 

There was no "Sarcasm" intended in my last post on this matter. I was being thankful to all and honest in the help all was giving me. I am sorry you saw it a different way.

One of the most fascinating things about the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that it is a melding, an amalgamation, a harmonization, of the Old Testament and of the New.  One of the best examples of this is the Book of Mormon. Another such example is that when the Angel Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith, we believe he quoted several Old Testament prophecies. We also believe that Joseph Smith interacted with several Old Testament prophets, who visited him and conferred upon him keys they held (such as Moses, Elias, and Elijah).  As others have pointed out, however much of the Old Testament has been fulfilled, there are still prophecies yet to be fulfilled.  What to follow?  What have his modern prophets and apostles emphasized about the Old Testament in our day?  Perhaps that is too general; perhaps it is nonresponsive to your question because it treats it from the LDS point of view.  Still ... there you have it. ;)  

I don't know, I suppose for the greatest commandment quote ... this is the law and the prophets ...

And if we love God what do we do?

How can we do that if we don't have them?

You have to have both (all 3 really... don't forget the Nephite Testament)

Edited by BookofMormonLuvr

Why? For it is the OT that prophesy of Christ and testify of Christ,

Well, you could focus on the Christ that was to come.

Or you could focus on the Christ that is, already was and will return again.

I think both are good, but IF you felt to choose just one, wouldn't the second be better.