Seriously No Politics ×

"mormon Teacher Had Sex With His Sixth Grade Student"

JAHS

Gee I wonder what religion this teacher belongs to?

I counted 14 times they used the word "Mormon" in describing this teacher.   What if he wasn't Mormon, but just a Baptist or Catholic would they have identified him as such 14 times?  Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Compare it to the following story about the same incident:

This isn't a higher standard, it's shameless smearing. I could see perhaps referencing the church in regards to his scouting work, as that is arguably relevant. But other than that, no. And certainly not 14 times, including the title of the article, and as effectively an adjective for "teacher."

Went through a dozen or so cases, no mention of religion of teachers.  Finally added "catholic" to the google site search of "teacher" "student" "sex" and got one article:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1934185/catholic-high-school-teacher-gets-15-years-behind-bars-for-sex-with-15-year-old-student/

Heading is comparable, but they only mention it once...right at the beginning.

Couldn't find any for Baptist or Evangelical but did find a comparable mention of a Christian school (as opposed to the teacher):

http://www.inquisitr.com/1200723/christian-school-teacher-nabbed-having-sex-in-car-with-14-year-old-student/

Now I have got to go do something to cleanse the texts from my mind....

Compare it to another incident reported in the same newspaper:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1946947/student-teacher-sex-scandal-high-school-math-teacher-faces-22-years-in-prison-after-admitting-to-having-sex-with-four-teenage-students-in-her-home-and-suv/

No mention of religion, so it does not seem the paper has a standard policy of requiring its mention.

The article mentioned "math teacher" four times. As a math teacher who has only had sex with my wife, I hope that I am not judged unfairly because of the actions of this man.

Gee I wonder what religion this teacher belongs to?

I counted 14 times they used the word "Mormon" in describing this teacher.   What if he wasn't Mormon, but just a Baptist or Catholic would they have identified him as such 14 times?  Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Compare it to the following story about the same incident:

The story which didn't mention his religion was dated April 20th. The other story was dated April 21st. Perhaps the writer of he first article didn't know his religious affiliation yet.

The story which didn't mention his religion was dated April 20th. The other story was dated April 21st. Perhaps the writer of he first article didn't know his religious affiliation yet.

Why should it even matter what religion the man was affiliated with? It's an obvious attempt to either smear the Mormons or to use a clever combination of shock words to cause more people to click on the article (like I did).

It is obviously a smear job likely from a militant pro-LGBT person, trying to imply "See! Mormons are sex-crazed lunatics that have sex with kids! What right do they have to say anything about the gay lifestyle!"

Sad the state of journalism these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived