Seriously No Politics ×

Godhead In The Book Of Mormon

With the recent threads (now locked) from certain posters attacking the Book of Mormon on the nature of God and the Godhead, I thought a separate thread showing references that said posters didn't include with their cut and paste jobs would be worthwhile.  I'll start with a few, feel free to add any and all thoughts on the subject.

2 Nephi 25:16 And after they [the Jews] have been scattered and the Lord God hath scourged them by other nations for the space of many generations yea even down from generation to generation until they shall be persuaded to believe in Christ the Son of God and the atonement which is infinite for all mankind and when that day shall come that they shall believe in Christ and worship the Father in his name with pure hearts and clean hands and look not forward any more for another Messiah then at that time the day will come that it must needs be expedient that they should believe these things.

Jacob 4: 5 Behold they believed in Christ and worshiped the Father in his name and also we worship the Father in his name. And for this intent we keep the law of Moses it pointing our souls to him; and for this cause it is sanctified unto us for righteousness even as it was accounted unto Abraham in the wilderness to be obedient unto the commands of God in offering up his son Isaac which is a similitude of God and his Only Begotten Son.

Alma 34:7 For it is not written that Zenos alone spake of these things but Zenock also spake of these things. For behold he said: Thou art angry O Lord with this people because they will not understand thy mercies which thou hast bestowed upon them because of thy Son. And now Alma said unto them: Do ye believe those scriptures which have been written by them of old? Behold if ye do ye must believe what Zenos said; for behold he said: Thou hast turned away thy judgments because of thy Son. Now behold my brethren I would ask if ye have read the scriptures? If ye have how can ye disbelieve on the Son of God?

3 Nephi 19: 21 Father I pray thee that thou wilt give the Holy Ghost unto all them that shall believe in their words. 22 Father thou hast given them the Holy Ghost because they believe in me; and thou seest that they believe in me because thou hearest them and they pray unto me; and they pray unto me because I am with them. 23 And now Father I pray unto thee for them and also for all those who shall believe on their words that they may believe in me that I may be in them as thou Father art in me that we may be one.

Ether 12:6 And now I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written that the grace of God the Father and also the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost which beareth record of them may be and abide in you forever. Amen.

I know there are many more references in the BoM but this is probably a good start.

Edited by Sevenbak

I find it to be a greivous error to read the BoM separate from the Bible when looking for doctrinal clues, but nevertheless, I think it's a good list.  The list in your siggy needs updating because when ETB became the prophet, he removed organic evolution from the list when he repeated the talk.

I find it to be a greivous error to read the BoM separate from the Bible when looking for doctrinal clues, but nevertheless, I think it's a good list.  The list in your siggy needs updating because when ETB became the prophet, he removed organic evolution from the list when he repeated the talk.

I could change it, but it wouldn't make his many other teachings on the subject go away.  The quote alone doesn't exist in a vacuum, by himself, or other prophets or teachings.   Perhaps a separate thread if you'd like to continue down that track.

But I digress, back the the subject.    I left off one of the best references from 3 Nephi 11:

Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him.

And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven; and he was clothed in a white robe; and he came down and stood in the midst of them; and the eyes of the whole multitude were turned upon him, and they durst not open their mouths, even one to another, and wist not what it meant, for they thought it was an angel that had appeared unto them.

And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:

10 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.

11 And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.

Edited by Sevenbak

Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me. (3 Nep 27: 13)

And when he had said these words, he himself also knelt upon the earth; and behold he prayed unto the Father, and the things which he prayed cannot be written, and the multitude did bear record who heard him.
And after this manner do they bear record: The eye hath never seen, neither hath the ear heard, before, so great and marvelous things as we saw and heard Jesus speak unto the Father; (3 Nep 17: 13-15)