Seriously No Politics ×

Who Are You?

CCRW

I've made a mistake in addressing a couple individuals directly.  As I read the various members posts here I wonder about the individuals behind the keyboard.  This I have not done enough of in the past.

I realize that to share anything personal in these environments can span a range from simply foolish to dangerous.  If nothing else opening one up to ridicle, which around these parts (mormon internet) can be a very long lasting thing.

Please share what you might feel comfortable sharing about yourself that I might get to know something about you.  About your spiritual journey, your family, maybe just old memories or some such.

I ran three day canoo trips for the BSA in Jackson Hole for three summers as a teen.  I found a mostly Black and Tan puppy in the Estoria Hot Springs parking lot, where we showered once a week or so.  The pup rode in the bow of my canoo the rest of that summer.  His name was Targhee.  A year or so later he was hit by a car which paralized his right front leg.  He laid very hurt for about a three days, while I was trying to decide what to do ... many encouraging me to put him down.  Soon after that he answered for me by starting to chew the leg off.

I miss my dog today for some reason.  When it came time to put him down, 12 years later, I wispered to him as he went ... I'll meet you at the river ... you know the place.

Edited by CCRW

My anger towards the Church seems to have grown over the last six years.  Thanks CountryBoy I will revisit that thread from the start, and likely comment more as I do

Edited by CCRW

My anger towards the Church seems to have grown over the last six years. 

Anger against the Church always seems misplaced to me.  They are mortal men doing their best to present God's will to mankind.  They make mistakes.  I have a hard time getting angry about the mistakes.

That doesn't mean I consider our leaders blameless for some of the mistakes.  I just mean it's God's Church.  He'll correct them.  Any where they should have known better our leaders will have to answer for.  None of this is my place to hold them accountable.  I just have to wait for God to fix the things I believe the Church has wrong.  Getting angry helps nobody.

Anger against the Church always seems misplaced to me.  They are mortal men doing their best to present God's will to mankind.  They make mistakes.  I have a hard time getting angry about the mistakes.

I'm not angry at any men (well ok maybe JFS).  Heck this thing started to get away from any given man way back ... as you touched upon in another thread with me.

BTW, I believe that this engrained thinking is part of the problem of elephants in the room of families.

I don't know exactly what you are looking for. But I'll give it a try.

Was agnostic before starting college as a chemistry major. Attended my first Institute of Religion class when invited by my then girl friend. Enjoyed it enough that I wanted to know more about the Church. Ask LOT'S of questions. Changed girl friends, change majors (To Social Work), and joined the Church. Eloped, with everyone knowing, to the Oakland California Temple in 1972. 3 wonderful sons and 5 wonderful Grand-kids later and still an active faithful member of the Church that I love.

Yes grandkids, pretty much literally saved my life.  For somereason I'm surprised at what seems a high percentage of seniority here.  I learned so much from the brothern I worked with and loved in the Temple, most 70+.  It would be well for me to remember that.  Thanks theSumertimesaint.

That doesn't mean I consider our leaders blameless for some of the mistakes.  I just mean it's God's Church.  He'll correct them.  Any where they should have known better our leaders will have to answer for.  None of this is my place to hold them accountable.  I just have to wait for God to fix the things I believe the Church has wrong.  Getting angry helps nobody.

I was not angry at men.  I gave up much to be LDS and then go on a mission as a college grad.  When I lost my testimony, I felt deceived.  I was angry at the perceived deception

Edited by CountryBoy

.........................................................  For somereason I'm surprised at what seems a high percentage of seniority here.  I learned so much from the brothern I worked with and loved in the Temple, most 70+.  It would be well for me to remember that.  ......................................................

That is my fondest memory of working at the Provo Temple:  Great collection of kind old guys (and gals) willing to give their hearts to the work.  Always made my day to be associated with them.

I've made a mistake in addressing a couple individuals directly.  As I read the various members posts here I wonder about the individuals behind the keyboard.  This I have not done enough of in the past.

I realize that to share anything personal in these environments can span a range from simply foolish to dangerous.  If nothing else opening one up to ridicle, which around these parts (mormon internet) can be a very long lasting thing.

Please share what you might feel comfortable sharing about yourself that I might get to know something about you.  About your spiritual journey, your family, maybe just old memories or some such.

I ran three day canoo trips for the BSA in Jackson Hole for three summers as a teen.  I found a mostly Black and Tan puppy in the Estoria Hot Springs parking lot, where we showered once a week or so.  The pup rode in the bow of my canoo the rest of that summer.  His name was Targhee.  A year or so later he was hit by a car which paralized his right front leg.  He laid very hurt for about a three days, while I was trying to decide what to do ... many encouraging me to put him down.  Soon after that he answered for me by starting to chew the leg off.

I miss my dog today for some reason.  When it came time to put him down, 12 years later, I wispered to him as he went ... I'll meet you at the river ... you know the place.

In the sweet by and by.

https://youtu.be/JuJsikvCvCU

Edited by saemo

My dad is one of those old guys. Someone who we know mutually, from different paths, once told me he is the "salt of the earth". I just smiled and said, "sure is", but was thinking, apparently he keeps the pepper under wraps! :D He is both.

My dad is one of those old guys. Someone who we know mutually, from different paths, once told me he is the "salt of the earth". I just smiled and said, "sure is", but was thinking, apparently he keeps the pepper under wraps! :D He is both.

Oh my, do tell if possible, maybe privately.

Oh my Morning Star.  That is so refreshing!  I think my favorite is the kids/cleaning, and after last Septembers colostomy I fully understand the paper roll situation.

Not sure about the battery acid however.

Thanks for sharing!

40 and kids ... how many? Do you live in Zion (along the Wasatch Front/back)?  Of course, please do continue with the more import personals as well.

Edited by CCRW

Personal stuff: I don't shave my legs very often. Because I would rather cut myself less often.

When I floss, even though I do it every day, I feel like my gums are being stabbed.

I've gotten really lazy about putting the toilet paper on the thingie. Now I set the roll on top of the thingie because we go through it so fast.

I HATE my husband's beard. I can't decide if he looks like he belongs more on Duck Dynasty or in a terrorist camp. I have an aversion to beards because my grandpa used to lick his plate with runny egg yolk on it. Sorry to everyone who now feels like they want to throw-up. He's been growing it for a year to see how long it will get.

If I ask my kids to clean, they'll disappear upstairs and then I can eat a treat in peace and quiet. They don't want to draw attention to the fact that they're not cleaning like they were told. They think they're geniuses, but I'm the real genius.

I have a crazy neighbor who uses his surveillance cameras to catch whose dog has been pooping in his yard. He will go through 8 hours of footage just to confront someone about dog poop. I have contemplated how funny it would be to use this drone someone gave us to fly way above his house, let it drop dog poop in his yard, and hear all about how he went stark raving mad because there was dog poop, but no dog. One time what he caught was a giant coyote. Apparently they don't clean up after themselves.

Please let me know if this was personal enough. I have more. Lots more.

I'm glad I accidentally dropped a huge post I made earlier about myself that was way too serious after reading this humorous post of yours. Tell us more. :-D

Sometimes when there aren't any clean spoons left, I'm too lazy to wash one, so I'll use a measuring spoon, which causes me to dribble milk all over myself if I'm eating cereal.  Then I'm all, "Whatever.  Like that's worse than my baby barfing on me 5 times already this morning."

I once left the house not knowing there was a giant piece of Laffy Taffy attached to my pant leg.  One of my kids left it on the couch or something.

I can't think of anything to get back at my husband for his beard.  He doesn't care about my leg hair.  I could maybe eat garlic every day, but then that would be like getting revenge on everyone around me.

I watched this show on Netflix the other day about Bridezillas going to marriage boot camp.  I watched all of it and I don't know why.  After my baby was born, I also watched the entire Gilmore Girls series in probably about a month.  I had never seen an episode of it before then.

I was always so self-conscious of my butt, I decided I could never be a choir director because that would mean large audiences having a long glimpse of it.

I have issues. 

OK, now everyone tell me that most embarrassing thing you chose to watch on Netflix or something. 

If I ask my kids to clean, they'll disappear upstairs and then I can eat a treat in peace and quiet.  They don't want to draw attention to the fact that they're not cleaning like they were told.  They think they're geniuses, but I'm the real genius.

I ask my son for hugs knowing he will not give them to me.  He hugs his dad instead.  He thinks he is teasing me, but I am the real genius because he got hugs he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

I hate that things get ruined by chocolate - cheesecake, cannoli, eclairs etc.  I like actual good chocolate, but am not fond of chocolate cake, ice cream, milk etc.  For our FHE treat I made my favorite chocolate chip cookies with browned butter except I used butterscotch chips this time.  Four out of 5 weeks we get chocolate so this time I was having it my way. Shh, don't tell, but I discovered that for this one dessert it is actually better with chocolate chips.     

You had a colostomy?  Is that when the colon is removed?  :( 

You had a colostomy?  Is that when the colon is removed?  :sad:

yea, it was a final step, after I was contemplating suicide, after 3 major surgeries, a minor nerve implant surgery and 1.5 years in a diaper.  That 4th major surgery removed about 18" of colon sticking about 1.5" of colon outside my stomach.

I have more personal information here as well, but yours really made me smile and was a lot more fun