Neck Pain? Looking For Help

Calm

"tingling fingers"

I am finding my neuropathy (mainly feet, but sometimes fingers...though that could also be carpal tunnel from too much computer and iPad) is responding well to taking alpha lipoic acid.  

Hopefully this link works, I was too impatient to wait for it to finish loading:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-alpha-lipoic-acid

"tingling fingers"

I am finding my neuropathy (mainly feet, but sometimes fingers...though that could also be carpal tunnel from too much computer and iPad) is responding well to taking alpha lipoic acid.  

Hopefully this link works, I was too impatient to wait for it to finish loading:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-alpha-lipoic-acid

Thanks for that link, the chemo left me with a bad case of neuropathy.

"tingling fingers"

Thanks.

Also, exercise. Shoulder shrugs is one take away from a dr.appt. this video shows how to do them properly. Don't use weights at first. Just do the exercise.

This video shows two variations. Do the first variation, even while recuperating (in pain) Three or five of them twice a day to begin. At 2 min. the video starts going into repetitions, with weights, that should only be done after building up to it. Start small. No weights.

I do this throughout the day, as I sit at a desk all day and my neck/shoulders will start to stiffen up. So I stand up, do a few shrugs. This helps to prevent the Big Crashes (down in bed).

Edited by saemo

Sometimes a neurosurgeon can help.

I could only hold my head in certain positions without pain and/or severe numbness spreading from my neck down one arm and even into my face and side. I had to sleep in the recliner and I couldn't put my head back to drink from a glass. I couldn't look up. I had to take pain meds to hold still long enough for the MRI pictures. The problem was surgically addressed a couple of years ago and I feel better than I have in many years. I still get stinging in my neck when I work a long day or drive a long distance in the work truck (I am a truck driver), but I rarely get the "stiff neck" that had plagued me since I was a teenager. Rest takes care of it and ordinary Ibuprofen helps when long hours or long drives are unavoidable. For driving, I have noticed that if I use an arm rest that it helps my current managable neck problems.   

Edited by 3DOP

Make sure to get cleared for neck exercises (I think the shoulder shrugs are excellent, btw) as there are some stretches that are actually a no no and may cause more injury.

Probably that counts for any type of exercises...old versions may end up being useless or hurt while others are now recommended as more effective and less likely to result in injury.

Chiropractor would probably have a good list of exercises to do if he is not going to a physical therapist.

Guess what, my husband wanted to cancel his appt. yesterday with the chiropractor because he was pain free. I made him go since he should cancel way before 10 min before the scheduled time. So he went but came home with another headache. :( I doubt he'll go back.

Thanks for the YouTube Saemo. I've been discussing with him all of these hints. But now going to have him read the thread for himself.

Guess what, my husband wanted to cancel his appt. yesterday with the chiropractor because he was pain free. I made him go since he should cancel way before 10 min before the scheduled time. So he went but came home with another headache. :sad: I doubt he'll go back.

Thanks for the YouTube Saemo. I've been discussing with him all of these hints. But now going to have him read the thread for himself.

I have used chiropractic massage with very good results.

My husband is still suffering but recently he said it is difficult to look side to side without it causing eye pain.  I guess he said this has been ongoing from the start.  Just wondering if any of you have experienced this side affect.  Thanks in advance!

My husband is still suffering but recently he said it is difficult to look side to side without it causing eye pain.  I guess he said this has been ongoing from the start.  Just wondering if any of you have experienced this side affect.  Thanks in advance!

Yes, several years ago.  It took several sessions with a good chiropractor.

Sometimes a neurosurgeon can help.

I could only hold my head in certain positions without pain and/or severe numbness spreading from my neck down one arm and even into my face and side. I had to sleep in the recliner and I couldn't put my head back to drink from a glass. I couldn't look up. I had to take pain meds to hold still long enough for the MRI pictures. The problem was surgically addressed a couple of years ago and I feel better than I have in many years. I still get stinging in my neck when I work a long day or drive a long distance in the work truck (I am a truck driver), but I rarely get the "stiff neck" that had plagued me since I was a teenager. Rest takes care of it and ordinary Ibuprofen helps when long hours or long drives are unavoidable. For driving, I have noticed that if I use an arm rest that it helps my current managable neck problems.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of surgery was it? My husband is seeing a different chiropractor, so we'll see. Thanks for your help.
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Tacenda, I was scanning through threads and noticed this one.  I was interested because I had something very similar but in the lower back.  Mine was called spinal stenosis, that is a pinched nerve in the back.  I had pain down the leg and other problems.  I went to a therapists which didn't help at all but he said I needed an MRI.  He had a doctor order one and it showed the problem clearly.  I ended up with back surgery by a neurosurgeon in American Fork in early February, that has taken care of the problem.   Your post is rather old so you've probably taken care of the problem by now and this is outdated but I thought I'd mention it.

Hi Tacenda, I was scanning through threads and noticed this one.  I was interested because I had something very similar but in the lower back.  Mine was called spinal stenosis, that is a pinched nerve in the back.  I had pain down the leg and other problems.  I went to a therapists which didn't help at all but he said I needed an MRI.  He had a doctor order one and it showed the problem clearly.  I ended up with back surgery by a neurosurgeon in American Fork in early February, that has taken care of the problem.   Your post is rather old so you've probably taken care of the problem by now and this is outdated but I thought I'd mention it.

No it's still ongoing. He is set to get an MRI in the morning. Can't believe we haven't done that. He's had a cat scan at the ER, and an xray at the Chiropractor, neither showed anything. Yesterday he had some pin point numbing shots in the neck, forgot the medical term. It didn't help. He's going to a Neurologist next Thursday, can't believe we waited for that also. Thank you for replying, I'm glad you got a diagnosis and surgery to correct the problem Sanpitch! I'll read up on stenosis problems. I'm sure that could apply to the neck too. :)

MRI, good, I'm a fan of MRI.  Xray does not show the soft tissue and the cat scan, I don't know.  I'm all for going the MRI route and having a Neurologist or a Orthpedic Surgeon and getting the pain resolved.  If he's not familiar with recent surgery, in my case as they wheeled to surgery I went out and didn't know a thing until they were wheeling back.  I asked is it over, they said yes, it all done.  No pain involved.

MRI, good, I'm a fan of MRI.  Xray does not show the soft tissue and the cat scan, I don't know.  I'm all for going the MRI route and having a Neurologist or a Orthpedic Surgeon and getting the pain resolved.  If he's not familiar with recent surgery, in my case as they wheeled to surgery I went out and didn't know a thing until they were wheeling back.  I asked is it over, they said yes, it all done.  No pain involved.

While reading up on Spinal Stenosis, it sure looks like this could be the problem. I also read up on the exercises for it that I'll have him try once he gets out of the tub. He soaks in the tub to get relief. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Cal and Sanpitch. We went to the Neurologist this morning, he sent us to get a Epidural Blood Patch. They're thinking he's had a leakage of spinal fluid. It would explain so much. The doctor mentioned symptoms that no other doctor mentioned at other visits...it was like... yep, yep, yep to each one. Like only feeling relief laying down, his brain feeling like it was moving, muffled & popping ears etc. He's having this done as I type. I'll let you know how well it worked!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank goodness (assuming they've got it right, power of positive thought and all :) )! Now something can be done.

We had a later appointment at a pain clinic, and boy I'm glad we kept it because the blood patch didn't seem to work but the cortisone steroid shot did, yay! I think he's on the road to recovery.