Seriously No Politics ×

Conspiracy Theory Help

momom

My dad is a nice guy, but has been dealt kind of a hard hand. He is divorced, deals with depression, retired, and hangs out and watches youtube way too much. My kids, H and I are pretty much all that is here for him at the moment. We live away from most family, and so there isn't really an option of keeping space. Not that I would want to he is nice, helpful, and fun to be around.. that is until he starts talking new world order, or subliminal TV messages, chem trails, free masons, etc.. 

He knows I don't like to talk about that so he generally doesn't, and if he does I change the subject. He knows never to talk to my kids about things like that. Still even though I figured out how to navigate his conspiracy theory obsession in my life, I feel like it is a negative thing in his. It can't be good to always be looking at things like that, and have such a horrible negative world view. I have told him that, but it doesn't change anything, he still read, and watches weird stuff. After he brought up some stuff today in conversation I thought I might try looking for a talk or something about this subject, or anything church related that might tell him to knock it off. I have been trying to find the something, but not really coming up with anything great. I was hoping someone might recall something off hand and shorten my search a bit.   I hope this forum is appropriate for such a question. I tried lds.net, and their site was being difficult and not letting me on. I clicked on a few subject, and you all seem to be an intelligent crowd, hope you don't mind my asking here. 

Thanks in advance for any advice

My dad is a nice guy, but has been dealt kind of a hard hand. He is divorced, deals with depression, retired, and hangs out and watches youtube way too much. My kids, H and I are pretty much all that is here for him at the moment. We live away from most family, and so there isn't really an option of keeping space. Not that I would want to he is nice, helpful, and fun to be around.. that is until he starts talking new world order, or subliminal TV messages, chem trails, free masons, etc.. 

He knows I don't like to talk about that so he generally doesn't, and if he does I change the subject. He knows never to talk to my kids about things like that. Still even though I figured out how to navigate his conspiracy theory obsession in my life, I feel like it is a negative thing in his. It can't be good to always be looking at things like that, and have such a horrible negative world view. I have told him that, but it doesn't change anything, he still read, and watches weird stuff. After he brought up some stuff today in conversation I thought I might try looking for a talk or something about this subject, or anything church related that might tell him to knock it off. I have been trying to find the something, but not really coming up with anything great. I was hoping someone might recall something off hand and shorten my search a bit.   I hope this forum is appropriate for such a question. I tried lds.net, and their site was being difficult and not letting me on. I clicked on a few subject, and you all seem to be an intelligent crowd, hope you don't mind my asking here. 

Just because he appears paranoid to you doesn't mean their not out to get him. 

Invite him out to do happy, positive things.  I've known a few people like this - they become obsessed with Waco, collecting guns (to protect their food storage), the thought of martial law, etc. 

Look into articles on "Gospel Hobbies" or the article "Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall". 

Is he dangerous to himself or anyone else?  Why does it bother you that he has a different opinion of this than you? 

I would guess because this kind of thinking makes people miserable. Even if they are not physically hurting themselves the mental, emotional, and spiritual damage can be severe.

I would guess because this kind of thinking makes people miserable. Even if they are not physically hurting themselves the mental, emotional, and spiritual damage can be severe.

Thanks for the replies. The Nehor nailed it. I feel like it is giving him an overall bleak out look on life.

Okay let me put this a little stronger.  Who are you to dictate his thoughts to him?  Discuss his view with him.  Ask him what he or you can do about it.  Then discuss some of the conference talks with him and point out the encouragement in them.Discuss some of the conference talks with him and point out the encouragement in them.  Show him there is a way through perilous times.

Or does this seem more like what you want him to be? 

2 Nephi 28:7-9

Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.

And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God.

Yea, and there shall be many which shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts, and shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark.

PS: there are and always have been conspiracies for power but for the most part they have little effect on our daily lives.

Edited by ERayR

He hasn't read Julie Rowe or "Visions of Glory" has he? Only half kidding. I just spoke with a nephew from my husband's side who is predicting the end will be here in 5 years. He's divorced, no children and only 30, and faithful LDS, he brought up these books! I feel sorry if the youth really feel this way, or anyone that does. Are members doing this a lot? Is you father TBM or faithful believing LDS, momom?

He sounds very alone and emotionally isolated. I am sorry. As to what to do, get him involved in as much of your life as you can, but don't argue. Invite him to family dinner and a good movie. Hold a family Home Evening with him. Do lots of things that show you love, and care for him as a person. It's going to take time and a lot of effort on your part. He may still hold onto some of his conspiracy theories. The good thing is most likely they will diminish, at least while he is in your presence.

Edited by thesometimesaint

He hasn't read Julie Rowe or "Visions of Glory" has he? Only half kidding. I just spoke with a nephew from my husband's side who is predicting the end will be here in 5 years. He's divorced, no children and only 30, and faithful LDS, he brought up these books! I feel sorry if the youth really feel this way, or anyone that does. Are members doing this a lot? Is you father TBM or faithful believing LDS, momom?

Prophecy fulfillment and end times catastrophes have been part of the discussion for 2000 years and has been with the Church since the restoration.  Obviously it hasn't happened yet but just when we all become convinced it won't happen, it will.

I don't think he sounds lonely but as someone who is trying to put the end time prophecies in perspective in his own mind and experience.

Edited by ERayR

Okay let me put this a little stronger.  Who are you to dictate his thoughts to him?  Discuss his view with him.  Ask him what he or you can do about it.  Then discuss some of the conference talks with him and point out the encouragement in them.Discuss some of the conference talks with him and point out the encouragement in them.  Show him there is a way through perilous times.

Or does this seem more like what you want him to be? 

2 Nephi 28:7-9

7 Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.

8 And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God.

9 Yea, and there shall be many which shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts, and shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark.

PS: there are and always have been conspiracies for power but for the most part they have little effect on our daily lives.

Are you outing yourself as another conspiracy nut?

His sister asked him to write about their mother who has passed for a genealogy thing. He couldn't figure out how to attach it so I helped him he said send one to yourself and read it. It starts out a nice tribute to his mother then just takes a left at crazy town. He started talking about how his mom was always into current events, and politics. Then he says "I wonder what she would think if she knew the Jewish Masonic people ran all forms of media and the news she watched was all falsified." Then goes on and on about this and that. It is a tribute to his mom for heavens sakes. He can believe different things than I, but I can't help but have the feeling that he is running with the wrong crowd so to speak when things like this happen. I guess I can't make my peace with it.

He is an inactive member but devout. Because he is single I think he doesn't want to go to a family ward, or a singles ward either. He hasn't read Visions of Glory, thank goodness. My in laws have, and believe it, and no thanks. I have read about it, and I am glad my dad hasn't.

Also his conspiracy theories are making him a little racist. Sometimes hr says some shocking things. The powers that be want yo do away with the white Christian race. How is that what a good thing? He says he is not racist, but some things he says, he kind if is edging that way. He is also very distrutibg of the Jewish religion. Not most he says, but some of them think Christians or bellow human he says. The people who run everything are Jewish he claims. See where I am getting at, none of this is a good for your soul type of thing.

Also his conspiracy theories are making him a little racist. Sometimes hr says some shocking things. The powers that be want yo do away with the white Christian race. How is that what a good thing? He says he is not racist, but some things he says, he kind if is edging that way. He is also very distrutibg of the Jewish religion. Not most he says, but some of them think Christians or bellow human he says. The people who run everything are Jewish he claims. See where I am getting at, none of this is a good for your soul type of thing.

My dad keeps going on and on about this supposed "Gadianton Robber" group. He claims they have infiltrated all levels of government and business and want to overthrow the whole system to make themselves rulers or some such nonsense.

Crazy, right? Could you all give me some advice on how to counter his absurd conspiracy theories?

My dad keeps going on and on about this supposed "Gadianton Robber" group. He claims they have infiltrated all levels of government and business and want to overthrow the whole system to make themselves rulers or some such nonsense.

Crazy, right? Could you all give me some advice on how to counter his absurd conspiracy theories?

d and meditate on the Book of Mormon.  Especially the Gadianton Robbers parts.  The last three chapters of Ether, Helaman chapter 6 and Mormon chapters 1-9.  It will give you some insight into the Gadianton Robbers.  I am really surprised that someone with the posting name you have doesn't already know this.

d and meditate on the Book of Mormon.  Especially the Gadianton Robbers parts.  The last three chapters of Ether, Helaman chapter 6 and Mormon chapters 1-9.  It will give you some insight into the Gadianton Robbers.  I am really surprised that someone with the posting name you have doesn't already know this.

Didn't see what I was trying to do there, did you?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. ;)

Never, as far as I know, has there been a government that someone was not conspiring to overthrow.  Read the history books, read the Bible, read the Book of Mormon, read other religious texts.  Now knowing there are surely conspiracies and identifying them are two entirely different things.  Irregardless of whether or not there are active it is prudent to be prepared for disasters, man caused or natural.  Most of us are woefully under prepared.  The best advice I could give momom is to work with his father to become prepared for emergencies and catastrophes.  That should ease his mind.

Edited by ERayR

First, let's look at how the Gadiantons operated in the Book of Mormon.

1. They were willing to operate as subversives against the government.

2. They are willing to be the government.

3. They will operate as guerilla warriors against the government.

4. They are generally bumbling fools. They let a spy in and lost Kishkumen. They destroyed the government and were hunted for it.

5. They turn on each other despite their oaths.

6. They suck at the whole secrecy thing. Everyone seems to know who they are even if they do not operate openly. They are more like the KKK with its attempt to hide secrets then the much-acclaimed and very fictional Illuminati.

7. The commandment in the scriptures is not to figure them out so that we can oppose them. In fact the Book of Mormon refuses to disclose the oaths and secrets they used. It will not be a war of tactics where we expose them and win or fight them and win. Attempts to do this in scripture failed.

8. The commandment is to avoid joining them.

People build the gadiantons into a leakless well-run cabal of evil when it is really a bunch of bumbling megalomaniacs with delusions of grandeur trying ineptly to cover up their sins and seize power. They only succeed when the people as a whole buy into their methods and join with them in hopes of getting some of that wealth and power.

First, let's look at how the Gadiantons operated in the Book of Mormon.

1. They were willing to operate as subversives against the government.

2. They are willing to be the government.

3. They will operate as guerilla warriors against the government.

4. They are generally bumbling fools. They let a spy in and lost Kishkumen. They destroyed the government and were hunted for it.

5. They turn on each other despite their oaths.

6. They suck at the whole secrecy thing. Everyone seems to know who they are even if they do not operate openly. They are more like the KKK with its attempt to hide secrets then the much-acclaimed and very fictional Illuminati.

7. The commandment in the scriptures is not to figure them out so that we can oppose them. In fact the Book of Mormon refuses to disclose the oaths and secrets they used. It will not be a war of tactics where we expose them and win or fight them and win. Attempts to do this in scripture failed.

8. The commandment is to avoid joining them.

People build the gadiantons into a leakless well-run cabal of evil when it is really a bunch of bumbling megalomaniacs with delusions of grandeur trying ineptly to cover up their sins and seize power. They only succeed when the people as a whole buy into their methods and join with them in hopes of getting some of that wealth and power.

For the most part I can agree with you.  As for your last point.  Does anybody dare say politics and political parties.  Just wondering