Seriously No Politics ×

When Is It Time To Get A Super Hot Lawyer And Chase Him With An Ambulance?

So I got rear ended when I was 35 weeks pregnant and had my daughter a month later.  It's been rough.  5 months later and I'm still in pain.  I'm finally having a couple MRI's tomorrow.  My insurance is covering the health part and then when I settle with the insurance company and they add pain and suffering, I will have to pay my insurance company back.  My PIP is $10,000 and I think I'm about to hit that limit.  Multiple people have said I should get a lawyer.

The thought of hiring a lawyer makes me really nervous, but I'm afraid it's about to get a lot more complicated once I'm past the $10,000.  I don't know how it works.  I just don't want a lawyer who wants to push for a lawsuit.  At the same time, I feel like I deserve a pretty decent settlement because of everything I have gone through and continue to go through.  I really should have a nanny or someone helping me.  I'm getting tired of begging people to come over and hold the baby for a while.  My husband used sick leave to stay home for a month after she was born.  Usually when we have a baby, I only need him to stay home for a week.  Labor was even harder than usual this time and with each Braxton-hicks contraction, which were MANY, my spine throbbed.  I cried everywhere I went while I tried to be a good mom to my other kids and support them at their concerts.  Now that the baby is here and getting bigger, I sometimes have to scream for someone to come get her because I will suddenly start having spasms and feel like I'm going to drop her.  I was hoping for mass amounts of healing after she was born, but no.  The stress when I was waiting for labor to start was horrible because the pain extended from my mid/lower back through my hips, groin, thighs, etc.  Add 36 hours of back labor to that mess! 

And don't even get me started on all of the shopping, cooking, laundry, etc. that I haven't been able to do!  It puts a lot more strain on my entire family as we are adjusting to our new home with the many things to do, new school, etc.  I sleep less than my baby sleeps because of pain.  If no one is home, I spend most of the day playing with her on my bed so it can support her weight.  I'm afraid of having severe spasms while I'm alone with her.  :sad:  I often lay down to nurse her because it puts too much strain on my back.  I'm now terrified of what my MRI results will be because the doctor says if it is what he thinks it could be, it would require surgery. WITH A BABY?!?!  How long would I have to go without holding her?  I couldn't stand to have to wean her.  That would break my heart.  I hope it's just a case of taking longer to heal because I'm taking care of her. 

Any of you have experience with car accident settlements and using a lawyer vs. not using a lawyer?  One thing I have heard is not to be pressured to settle too early because I could have problems for years to come. 

*Disclaimer: This is not to imply that all lawyers are super hot.  Some lawyers are super hot.  Others are not super hot.  Some are super hot, but not quite hot enough that I would want to chase them with an ambulance. 

Edited by MorningStar

Morningstar, you shouldn't have to settle for $10,000, it goes so fast. You atleast need a nanny or if needs be, a housekeeper and cook until you get better, I'm not kidding. Even though I've never been injured like you before, I do know what it takes to take care of a family (I was barely able to do it without being injured) and all it takes is one thing to create a dominoe affect.

I pray you get some good advice and get everything covered so that you don't have to suffer nor see your family not being taken care of.

I've seen those lawyers on tv that don't charge you unless you win the case. I'm not sue happy at all, but if ever there was a case where someone is justified, you are.

I wish you were my neighbor, I'd love to be able to help. Your RS president needs to get something going so that you have help. Sign up sheet, something.

I'm so sorry you're suffering so, I can't imagine how horrible that would be. Sounds like you're super woman to endure so much. But you really need help now before it affects other areas of your body. Call a lawyer!

Edited by Tacenda

Hire one today. Give him copy of everything paid and let him worry about negotiating the settlement. If nothing else that will relieve a great burden for you, even if he gets a portion of your settlement. In the very least the other party's insurance will have to pay all the bills but you should get something for pain and suffering. In fact your insurance company should be going after the at fault party. Is the other party not insured. They should be 100% liable.

And by the way most personal injury lawyers don't charge unless you get a settlement and they will make sure they get their fee.

Edited by Deborah

Oh and hire a good one, not an ambulance chaser. They will usually give a free consultation up front and give you an idea what your claim is worth. Look up personal injury lawyers, not necessarily the ones who do those ads on tv.

Oh and hire a good one, not an ambulance chaser. They will usually give a free consultation up front and give you an idea what your claim is worth. Look up personal injury lawyers, not necessarily the ones who do those ads on tv.

True!

It is not considered chasing ambulances if they are parked.

Seriously, could your post be any more offensive? Would you like me to paint things you believe in an all-inclusive negative brush?

I am an attorney. I am not an ambulance chaser and I dislike being being categorized as one. I work very diligently to bring honor to the profession.

It was simply uncalled for,

Whoa CB, you gotta watch out when it comes to not getting offended, and especially not having compassion in certain situations like hers. Overlook now or you might end up out of the church once again, people in it say lots of things you probably won't like. She wasn't calling you one, was she? There's bad in every profession. I'll say that some Chiropractors are quacks, doesn't mean they all are. Some policeman are power hungry, not all, etc! Get a grip. Edited by Tacenda

CB, there are ambulance chasers and as an attorney you shoul know that. I advised MS to avoid those and get a good lawyer. You should be giving the same advice and not taking offense where none was meant.

Morning star likes to use humor when she posts. She was not trying to offend anyone, she was just trying to lighten the situation.

She has been extremely supportive of your situation CB and has offered prayers on your behalf, I know for a fact. We all are in need of mercy to cover our weaknesses so we should all be willing to extend it to others.

Edited by bluebell

I'm not saying she was totally in the right by saying that, I'm giving her a break, she's hurting and in a lot of pain, I call it compassion.  Don't kick a person when down, people make mistakes, go after someone else that isn't suffering perhaps.  What would Jesus do? 

Morning star likes to use humor when she posts. She was not trying to offend anyone, she was just trying to lighten the situation.

She has been extremely supportive of your situation CB and has offered prayers on your behalf, I know for a fact. We all are in need of mercy to cover our weaknesses so we should all be willing to extend it to others.

All I am saying is, be careful when you make jokes.  I try very hard not to offend people.   

Edited by CountryBoy

All I am saying is, be careful when you make jokes. I try very hard not to offend people. But, I see here that offending is ok, being offended is not. So, I will be quiet.

No one is saying that, and frankly, it's beneath you to try to reduce what has been said into something so absurd.

You have come on this site and pleaded for help. You have said offensive things in the past. We have rushed to your aid in every way we could, including getting involved outside of this forum. We have freely forgiven any past offenses made here. We have cheered your successes and mourned with you when things got hard.

Now someone else comes here and asks for help--someone who has helped YOU--and though you are actually the only one so far who is in a position to offer it you feel it is more important to teach her a lesson on manners.

I admit that when I first came on here this morning and saw MS's post and also saw that you were the last person (at that time) to respond I was excited because I knew you were a lawyer and could help.

It was not the post I expected.

I have a grip.

But it was a wide brush.  And it was uncalled-for.

It would be like me saying "Shall I be friends with those polygamous Mormons?"

Actually, if that came from someone I knew with a snarky sense of humor, I would be fine with it. Lighten up.

Morningstar, I'm sorry you're going through this. Definitely get a lawyer. $10,000 is way too low a limit these days.

Actually, if that came from someone I knew with a snarky sense of humor, I would be fine with it. Lighten up.

Morningstar, I'm sorry you're going through this. Definitely get a lawyer. $10,000 is way too low a limit these days.

We simply have different standards.  Our Mission president once that humor is not funny if it offends people and calling names will almost always offend someone.

Edited by CountryBoy

Had Morning star directed her comments at Country Boy specifically, he would have a point and we would likely been defending him vociferously. She didn't and there is no need for such defensiveness. All professions have their great people, and their competent people , and their good enough people, and their incompetent people and their people who have no business being in the profession. What offends me is how hard it is for professional associations to remove the ones who give the profession a bad name.

Most of the lawyers I have dealt with are honorable and hard working and have the clients interest at heart. On occasion I have come upon some who only have their personal interest at heart . I can see Country Boys point that the public often tars all lawyers with the same brush, hence all the snarky lawyers jokes. It gets tiring I'm sure. Just like I always hear about those lazy teachers who get 3 months off every year and only work 9 to 3.

This is the social hall, take a deep breath, forgive others their trespasses and proceed .

So I got rear ended when I was 35 weeks pregnant and had my daughter a month later.  It's been rough.  5 months later and I'm still in pain.  I'm finally having a couple MRI's tomorrow.  My insurance is covering the health part and then when I settle with the insurance company and they add pain and suffering, I will have to pay my insurance company back.  My PIP is $10,000 and I think I'm about to hit that limit.  Multiple people have said I should get a lawyer.

The thought of hiring a lawyer makes me really nervous, but I'm afraid it's about to get a lot more complicated once I'm past the $10,000.  I don't know how it works.  I just don't want a lawyer who wants to push for a lawsuit.  At the same time, I feel like I deserve a pretty decent settlement because of everything I have gone through and continue to go through.  I really should have a nanny or someone helping me.  I'm getting tired of begging people to come over and hold the baby for a while.  My husband used sick leave to stay home for a month after she was born.  Usually when we have a baby, I only need him to stay home for a week.  Labor was even harder than usual this time and with each Braxton-hicks contraction, which were MANY, my spine throbbed.  I cried everywhere I went while I tried to be a good mom to my other kids and support them at their concerts.  Now that the baby is here and getting bigger, I sometimes have to scream for someone to come get her because I will suddenly start having spasms and feel like I'm going to drop her.  I was hoping for mass amounts of healing after she was born, but no.  The stress when I was waiting for labor to start was horrible because the pain extended from my mid/lower back through my hips, groin, thighs, etc.  Add 36 hours of back labor to that mess! 

And don't even get me started on all of the shopping, cooking, laundry, etc. that I haven't been able to do!  It puts a lot more strain on my entire family as we are adjusting to our new home with the many things to do, new school, etc.  I sleep less than my baby sleeps because of pain.  If no one is home, I spend most of the day playing with her on my bed so it can support her weight.  I'm afraid of having severe spasms while I'm alone with her.  :sad:  I often lay down to nurse her because it puts too much strain on my back.  I'm now terrified of what my MRI results will be because the doctor says if it is what he thinks it could be, it would require surgery. WITH A BABY?!?!  How long would I have to go without holding her?  I couldn't stand to have to wean her.  That would break my heart.  I hope it's just a case of taking longer to heal because I'm taking care of her. 

Any of you have experience with car accident settlements and using a lawyer vs. not using a lawyer?  One thing I have heard is not to be pressured to settle too early because I could have problems for years to come. 

Do not hesitate find the name of the best lawyer in that area of the law and make an appointment.  The insurance companies are not your friend and they have a battery of lawyers.  You need at least one very good one on your side.  Most will take you case on contingency.  Make sure that when you settle you have future medical problems clause.

Had Morning star directed her comments at Country Boy specifically, he would have a point and we would likely been defending him vociferously. She didn't and there is no need for such defensiveness. All professions have their great people, and their competent people , and their good enough people, and their incompetent people and their people who have no business being in the profession. What offends me is how hard it is for professional associations to remove the ones who give the profession a bad name.

Most of the lawyers I have dealt with are honorable and hard working and have the clients interest at heart. On occasion I have come upon some who only have their personal interest at heart . I can see Country Boys point that the public often tars all lawyers with the same brush, hence all the snarky lawyers jokes. It gets tiring I'm sure. Just like I always hear about those lazy teachers who get 3 months off every year and only work 9 to 3.

This is the social hall, take a deep breath, forgive others their trespasses and proceed .

When one makes a general statement, it IS directed at all in the group.  

Edited by CountryBoy

I see.

Many times, it is not what is said..it is who says it and how the person offended is treated.

I have learned a lot today

Coddling and giving in to the offended incentivizes them to become offended again to control the behaviors of those around them. Sets a dangerous precedent. It is best to ignore it or continue to annoy them. Negative reinforcement.

Coddling and giving in to the offended incentivizes them to become offended again to control the behaviors of those around them. Sets a dangerous precedent. It is best to ignore it or continue to annoy them. Negative reinforcement.

Yet...when I was here as an anti, I was banned for being offensive.

I guess who is offended here is the important issue.  And your counsel on coddling only applies to people you like.

The issue was simple.  And this went on a lot longer than it needed to.  And I learned a lot.

Again...I will bow out.