Seriously No Politics ×

Can We Support Same-Sex Marriage?

What I find interesting is that many are so doggedly taking a stance that what is said today is carved in stone.  How many times has this board discussed the Doctrinal pronouncement regarding the Priesthood ban? Yes, it was stated that at some point God would remove it; but the ban was always regarded as being from God. Yet, many, even those who claim to be faithfull LDS, will say the essay demonstrates the ban was not of God was but conceived out of racism of the day.  

Well, obviously, those where not faithful LDS

Joining discussion late as usual.

Can we support same-sex marriage? We can, but we would be wrong if we did.

The recent comments by Elder Christofferson are very worrying to me. Especially the "evolving" understanding of the brethren regarding the issue of homosexuality. It reminds me very much of the RLDS Church about 20 years ago.

Joining discussion late as usual.

Can we support same-sex marriage? We can, but we would be wrong if we did.

The recent comments by Elder Christofferson are very worrying to me. Especially the "evolving" understanding of the brethren regarding the issue of homosexuality. It reminds me very much of the RLDS Church about 20 years ago.

Just remember, according to Uchtdorf we are amidst a continuing restoration. What would be wrong is assuming we have everything perfect now.

Just remember, according to Uchtdorf we are amidst a continuing restoration. What would be wrong is assuming we have everything perfect now.

Some people's definition of "restoration" continues to baffle me.

If there's a revelation let's include it in scripture. Canonize it. Add it to the D&C. Otherwise there is no official doctrine that binds the church regarding homosexuality. We are left to cite old testament scriptures to denounce the practice and we all know the old testament is full of errors. Canonized scripture would make clear what is doctrine as opposed to the personal opinions of leaders based on time and culture.

So you think there is no official doctrine on homosexuality? If thats what you honestly believe then no one can help you. Every LDS know the stance of the church on homosexuality- its perfectly clear. So, if you do not know it or believe there is no official teaching you must not be an active member.

You are going to get yourself taken out of a thread again. Be nice.

So you think there is no official doctrine on homosexuality? If thats what you honestly believe then no one can help you. Every LDS know the stance of the church on homosexuality- its perfectly clear. So, if you do not know it or believe there is no official teaching you must not be an active member.

I know active, faithful members who are confused about the Atonement. If faithful members can be misdirected in what the Church teaches about its foremost core doctrine, I see no reason that other faithful members may stumble over other doctrines including understanding and identifying what is doctrine. As long as the heart and mind stays open to the Spirit and does not completely close the door, eventually the faithful will become unified with Zion (and I don't assume it is my own or yours or anyone else's mindset that we are united to save God's nor do I choose to determine how far anyone has to go in correcting their thoughts to get there).

Edited by calmoriah

There is no such thing as "official doctrine". Any standard you wish to impose will have numerous exceptions. 

Every LDS know the church's position on homosexuality although the church won't even call it that. They call it same sex attraction.

From lds.org/topics/SSA

The Church’s doctrinal position is clear: Sexual activity should only occur between a man and a woman who are married.

I know they teach this but I don't accept it as an eternal truth. How could I? We know it has changed over time from a man and many women to "a" man and "a" woman. So it is at least partly due to the time and culture of those teaching it. Our culture now is different than in the early church, thus "a" man and "a" woman language versus the eternal law of plural marriage for entrance into the celestial kingdom.

It's interesting how this universal/absolute truth has changed with the years.

DEL as per Tacenda's request.

Saw this blog on FB that a relative posted who has a gay daughter.  Well worth the read!!  I want to "like" it on FB.  Now, I think I can without too much judgement from my friends on FB, yay!!  Edited:  Well, on second thought the more I read the blog, I think I'll not "like" it on FB.  TMI for sure!

This blog is really no different than the "Letter to a CES Director: Why I Lost My Testimony"  - same old anti-Mormon complaints.

Edited by JLHPROF
Can We Support Same-Sex Marriage?

Amazing how many people think this justifies their support for gay marriage.  Consider what Christofferson also said:

In an interview Friday with KUTV in Salt Lake City, Elder D. Todd Christofferson said that individuals in the 15 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would be in trouble only for "supporting organizations that promote opposition or positions in opposition to the church's."

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/2301174-155/mormons-free-to-back-gay-marriage

That is essentially paraphrasing the TR standard found in the TR question:

Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

So the answer of course is no, one cannot support same sex marriage and still be considered worthy for a TR because it's virtually impossible to show support for that position without also supporting individuals or groups that oppose the Church's position.

If it were known that you support gay marriage, it is highly likely that you will be queried as to your affiliations in a TR interview.

This is not coercion as one is freely coming to be judged if one is worthy according to the standards set by the Church. Is it mostly a self judging?  Yes.  But Bishops and Stake Presidents have an obligation to protect the membership and maintain the standards and so known red flags will initiate further questions.

Even if such a one were to get a TR, a TR is not a ticket to salvation nor a sign that one accepts the Gospel. So again, the answer is no, one cannot support SSM if one hopes for eternal life.

This blog is really no different than the "Letter to a CES Director: Why I Lost My Testimony" - same old anti-Mormon complaints.

I guess I more scanned then read thoroughly. You're probably right, but isn't it true or is it mostly out of context. ETA: I just read through the links, I don't know why this guy listed so many. They probably weren't necessary at all. Beginning to think I jumped the gun. Mods..you may want to delete the link I provided, I'll go on my end and delete my posts. Edited by Tacenda

God would have to reveal change to Thomas S Monson on the issue. But you never know. Blacks wound up with the priesthood, so never count out any possibility. But in the meantime we need to show love and compassion for our homosexual neighbors and friends and know that these are good hearted people.

It is possible that God might change his views on any issue including murder and stealing.  The chance is so remote however that its not really something I consider to be realistic option. 

Does anyone here think the church will ever change its stance on gay marriage like it did about blacks and the priesthood?

The official answer right now is no.

I personally think it will probably happen eventually.

Won't make it right though.

Edited by JLHPROF

I believe the Church will get out of the marriage business altogether and simply 

seal civil marriages as a religious ordinance as it already does in other countries.

The social and political pressure on the Church to accept single-sex marriage 

will reach a crescendo that will precipitate a policy change, but not a doctrinal

change. This battle has been lost. Time to move on to the next.....

I still would like to know why the new definition of marriage as between 2 consenting adults

has to be limited to 2 and to adults.