Will The Dead Be Tested?

As we all know people can join the Church here and sadly fall away sooner or later or join the Church but never embrace the gospel and understand it. I was wondering if the next life is almost like a re do of this life if you never heard the gospel and you like us today are being tried and tested

Keep in mind that the testing will not be complete until final judgment.  After we die, we will still be resurrected and have further testing in the millennium.  Lucifer will be loosed towards the end of the millennium which will be further trying and testing before final judgment. 

Keep in mind that the testing will not be complete until final judgment.  After we die, we will still be resurrected and have further testing in the millennium.  Lucifer will be loosed towards the end of the millennium which will be further trying and testing before final judgment. 

Whoa...are you saying that we could be resurrected to Celestial bodies but fail the test and be downgraded to Terrestrial bodies?

Or are you going with Rob Osborn's teaching that we all go from Telestial to Terrestrial and end up Celestial along with the earth?

Either way, trying and testing a resurrected being is a very interesting notion...

Bzzzzt.

FYI, our spirits are eternal.

Now you have been told.

I'm speaking of mortality as pertaining to physical and spiritual death. Jacob explains it better that I.

Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement—save it should be an infinite atonement this corruption could not put on incorruption. Wherefore, the first judgment which came upon man must needs have remained to an endless duration. And if so, this flesh must have laid down to rot and to crumble to its mother earth, to rise no more.

O the wisdom of God, his mercy and grace! For behold, if the flesh should rise no more our spirits must become subject to that angel who fell from before the presence of the Eternal God, and became the devil, to rise no more.

And OUR SPIRITS must have become like unto him, and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father oflies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness. (2 Nephi 9) 

Edited by teddyaware

I'm interested in if people who die before they turn 8 get tested or not. I mean they're guaranteed exaltation if they want it, but do they have to do any work? If not, how lucky are they? Auto-exaltation.

I doubt luck has anything to do with it.

I am reasonably sure the test is over at the resurrection. The loosing of Lucifer is to test the mortals still alive.

• Upvote 2

I'm speaking of mortality as pertaining to physical and spiritual death. Jacob explains it better that I.

7 Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement—save it should be an infinite atonement this corruption could not put on incorruption. Wherefore, the first judgment which came upon man must needs have remained to an endless duration. And if so, this flesh must have laid down to rot and to crumble to its mother earth, to rise no more.

8 O the wisdom of God, his mercy and grace! For behold, if the flesh should rise no more our spirits must become subject to that angel who fell from before the presence of the Eternal God, and became the devil, to rise no more.

9 And OUR SPIRITS must have become like unto him, and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father oflies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness. (2 Nephi 9)

Just remember what I told you.

Our spirits are eternal, wherever we are.

Our flesh? Eh, not so eternal, at least not until our flesh gets resurrected.

Whoa...are you saying that we could be resurrected to Celestial bodies but fail the test and be downgraded to Terrestrial bodies?

Or are you going with Rob Osborn's teaching that we all go from Telestial to Terrestrial and end up Celestial along with the earth?

Either way, trying and testing a resurrected being is a very interesting notion...

I have no idea about resurrected bodies and how that will all unfold. 

I do know that final judgment is reserved for the end of the millennium, after all of the missionary work is complete and only after Lucifer is set free to battle one last time with the saints.  No doubt this will be a trying time for many, surely our final judgment will take into account our thoughts, words and actions during this time as well. 

I am reasonably sure the test is over at the resurrection. The loosing of Lucifer is to test the mortals still alive.

It depends on what you are calling "the test".

The "Let's see if they'll do as we command" test has many different levels, like "Let's see if they'll create that planet now that we told them to create".

• Upvote 1

I like the word "quicken" as it applies to us and our future estates of having glory added upon us forever and ever- periodically being "quickened" to a higher degree of glory forever and ever.

BTW, have you ever heard of the "new revelations" by a gentleman in Chicago, early 20th century? Whereas they are not considered LDS doctrine, the supposed revelation contains many striking similarities to LDS and even expounds on a lot of topics dealing with progression.

• Upvote 1

It depends on what you are calling "the test".

The "Let's see if they'll do as we command" test has many different levels, like "Let's see if they'll create that planet now that we told them to create".

If you are preaching an eternal probationary state then I am just going to call you a heretic.

• Upvote 1

BTW, have you ever heard of the "new revelations" by a gentleman in Chicago, early 20th century? Whereas they are not considered LDS doctrine, the supposed revelation contains many striking similarities to LDS and even expounds on a lot of topics dealing with progression.

Many LDS need some kind of cream to cure their itching ears.

• Upvote 1

If you are preaching an eternal probationary state then I am just going to call you a heretic.

States, bro. Probationary states.

Like when we're done with Earth 101 then we'll move on to Earth 202, to borrow from college level course terms. When we complete a level, or state, there will still be more levels and states to Master before we get our Ph.D's.

• Upvote 1

Maybe so, I can't say for sure.  All I know is that God withholds his final judgment until after the millennium.  It seems to me that everything up to that point will be taken into account.  The tempter will undoubtedly mess with us one last time before judgment, what if we fall away in those last battles?  Will it not count against us?

I like the word "quicken" as it applies to us and our future estates of having glory added upon us forever and ever- periodically being "quickened" to a higher degree of glory forever and ever.

Right.

I can imagine even more and better ideas with my own imagination.
  • Upvote 1

States, bro. Probationary states.

Like when we're done with Earth 101 then we'll move on to Earth 202, to borrow from college level course terms. When we complete a level, or state, there will still be more levels and states to Master before we get our Ph.D's.

So God was just kidding around when he said that those who keep their second estate would have glory added forever? He really meant it just qualifies you for your third estate.

Buddhism with its escape from the endless wheel is beginning to sound preferable.

• Upvote 1

Maybe so, I can't say for sure.  All I know is that God withholds his final judgment until after the millennium.  It seems to me that everything up to that point will be taken into account.  The tempter will undoubtedly mess with us one last time before judgment, what if we fall away in those last battles?  Will it not count against us?

I do not think those who have overcome the world before then will fall. I suppose they theoretically could but I have also heard from the Brethren that no one apostasizes from paradise.

Just remember what I told you.

Our spirits are eternal, wherever we are.

Our flesh? Eh, not so eternal, at least not until our flesh gets resurrected.

Yes sir, Mr. Expert!

Now think about it: Being dead, with your rotting body mouldering in the grave, is as mortal a state as you're ever going to experience because unlike living in mortality, when death is still looming off somewhere in the distance, you're now factually and actually dead. If being dead isn't part of the experience of being mortal than nothing is. Isn't it patently obvious I was speaking of mortality as in the death of the physical body?!? Any half-informed Latter-day Saint knows the spirit cannot die. But according to Jacob, the spirit could potentially die as pertaining to the things of God and righteousness if there were no physical resurrection. The mortal state does not end until the resurrection of our earthly bodies, because after our fleshly birth on earth we are either waiting to die or are already dead. Is this not true? What you seem to be saying is that before death we are mortal, but after we die we are no longer mortal. Ridiculous. Death statistics are called mortality rates and not living rates for a reason.

Edited by teddyaware

Yes sir, Mr. Expert!

Now think about it: Being dead, with your rotting body mouldering in the grave, is as mortal a state as you're ever going to experience because unlike living in mortality, when death is still looming off somewhere in the distance, you're now factually and actually dead.

Nice try, but "I" will still be just as alive when I am "dead" as I am now and ever will be. I know I will have separated myself from my mortal body then but "I" will still be alive. My point was simply that our spirits are not mortal, but eternal. Always.

If being dead isn't part of the experience of being mortal than nothing is.

Let's clarify what you are saying, in other words:

If being dead [or: If our spirit being separated from our mortal body] isn't part of the experience of being mortal then nothing is.

Hmmm. I suppose I could agree with that, but I tend to think of the experience of being mortal as the time when an eternal spirit is living in a mortal body.

Isn't it patently obvious I was speaking of mortality as in the death of the physical body?!?

You were saying our spirit is mortal. Mortality isn't all about death, though, because some living is going on too.

Any half-informed Latter-day Saint knows the spirit cannot die.

Hence, it would seem kinda strange for any half-informed Latter-day Saint to think of the spirit as mortal.

But according to Jacob, the spirit could potentially die as pertaining to the things of God and righteousness if there were no physical resurrection.

Death as in separation, and as in separated from righteousness. Not mortal. Our spirits are and will never be mortal.

The mortal state does not end until the resurrection of our earthly bodies, because after our fleshly birth on earth we are either waiting to die or are already dead. Is this not true? What you seem to be saying is that before death we are mortal, but after we die we are no longer mortal. Ridiculous. Death statistics are called mortality rates and not living rates for a reason.

Instead of continuing to nitpick your comments to death I'm just going to say this is all about semantics and your choice of words sounding a little strange to me. But we mostly agree. I would just have said things a little bit differently.
  • Upvote 1

I'm expecting to work even harder in the spirit world towards exaltation, since I know there will be unfinished work. Unfinished work that I will complete in the morning of the first resurrection is talked about in my patriarchal blessing.

I'm expecting to work even harder in the spirit world towards exaltation, since I know there will be unfinished work. Unfinished work that I will complete in the morning of the first resurrection is talked about in my patriarchal blessing.

There will be plenty to get done and plenty of improving to do but probation will come to an end.

• Upvote 1

So if we go through life single for some reason and never wind up married or with a family, but we want to be sealed in the temple to have a chance at exaltation and an eternal companion, will we get that chance before probation ends? Because I don't want anyone who wants a family to have to spend eternity single.

So if we go through life single for some reason and never wind up married or with a family, but we want to be sealed in the temple to have a chance at exaltation and an eternal companion, will we get that chance before probation ends? Because I don't want anyone who wants a family to have to spend eternity single.

You'll have to drop the "never" in your question and actually get married and sealed before you are resurrected.

Oh yes, all who desire exaltation will have that opportunity here and in the next life.

Yes, I hear single Nephite girls are hot. ;)

• Upvote 1